• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm in the process of re siding my house. I just finished the soffet and pulled down the old siding. Behind the siding is a mess. They used the old style "cork" board and left huge gaps. Instead of patching all of it, I would like to cover the exterior with 1/2 insulation board and be done with it. Windows aren't an issue since I'm installing new one. My question is, the J channel in the soffet won't line up with the siding channel if I put on the insulation board - will that be ok?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Wait, I see what you mean now, no, the j will butt against the soffit channel, as long as you hold a straight line, and use long roofing/siding nails, it won't hurt anything. You should still have a little edge of the soffit channel to butt against, if your using 1/2" foam.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you're gonna spent the effort and the time, get fiberglass batts and do it right. I just finished a project that involved taking off insulboard, and installing fiberglass.... go glass

Get everything down to stud level, and the j-channel will line up like it's supposed to.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Thanks. I think I'm going to tear off the old junk and hang osb and then wrap the whole house. Osb or insulation board, which would you suggest?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you're gonna spent the effort and the time, get fiberglass batts and do it right. I just finished a project that involved taking off insulboard, and installing fiberglass.... go glass

Get everything down to stud level, and the j-channel will line up like it's supposed to.

It has batting in the walls so I'm good there. I was just trying to find a quicker method instead of tearing off the old but I'm going to tear off...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Thanks. I think I'm going to tear off the old junk and hang osb and then wrap the whole house. Osb or insulation board, which would you suggest?
    I've always said if I ever built my own house, I would use OSB or plywood everywhere. People don't realize how easy it is to breach a wall by just pulling a little siding loose and kicking through the foam or insulboard sheathing. If it were me, yeah, Osb. As long as you put back something close in thickness to the old sheathing, you'll be fine as far as finishing the top run of siding. I will add, spend some extra time getting your starter run of siding nice and level, and you'll have lots less problems, and as you lock each piece of siding in, on every run, slide it back and forth a little. If it's locked properly, it will slide, if not, well, you get the picture.;)

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I've always said if I ever built my own house, I would use OSB or plywood everywhere. People don't realize how easy it is to breach a wall by just pulling a little siding loose and kicking through the foam or insulboard sheathing. If it were me, yeah, Osb. As long as you put back something close in thickness to the old sheathing, you'll be fine as far as finishing the top run of siding. I will add, spend some extra time getting your starter run of siding nice and level, and you'll have lots less problems, and as you lock each piece of siding in, on every run, slide it back and forth a little. If it's locked properly, it will slide, if not, well, you get the picture.;)
    This ^^^^ is correct. Siding will warp if not installed properly.

Top Bottom