Anybody "Carry" An AK 47 Underfolder? Step on in...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    A recent weekend training class has me thinking about the occasional carry of a rifle for SD. I own a nice Polish Underfolder with M.I. rails and a SPARC red dot sight.

I have a really nice tacticool range bag for it...not gonna fly in the mall. One of the instructors showed off his new discrete Blackhawk! sporty/tennis court looking bag which was nice.

Here's what he had: http://tacticalgear.com/blackhawk-d...m_medium=sce&gclid=CNDv9Y3Y_rkCFeI-Mgodgh0ASA

He is more athletic looking than I am so who will I be fooling? Add to that, strolling around the mall with a tennis-looking bag is as suspicious as having molle-gear rifle case in coyote tan...

Anyway, have any of you clever kids figured out a discrete way to stroll around the mall/wherever with your underfolders? I found a couple of bags:

Amazon.com: Wilson Sporting Goods Sevilla Tennis Super Sling Bag, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Wilson '13 Club Tennis Super Sling: Sports & Outdoors

What I liked about these is that they are single sling type bags and not double strap backpacks. Having a 3 yo daughter, folks will think that I am pretty much carrying "baby stuff"...

I saw some REALLY nice EBERLE(?) bags that would be perfect, but those things were over $300...NOT spending over $300 on anything that doesn't take magazines and go, "BANG!!"

Very interested in your input...thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I carry my polish underfolder everywhere. I avoid the mall if possible. The more people keep making the sheep aware of our means to carry rifles the harder it will be to do it. I won't divulge how i carry. As soon as my stamp comes back and I can sbr my m92 pap, I'll have even more options because it will be 5 or 6 inches shorter than the underfolder folded.
    id never buy one of the blackhawk tennis bags because a lot of cops have probably seen them and would immediately stalk you and maybe eve try to detain and search you. I don't want anyone following me and I don't want anyone bothering me and asking what I'm carrying Ect. When I'm out and about with my family I don't want to talk about the means of protection i use. Ingo and gun stores is the only time I want to talk about guns. I don't want interaction with ANYONE!

Last edited:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Well, that was a lot of help. Would have been better not posting or a pm with your suggestions would have been brotherly without publicly divulging your means of carry 2 1/2 hours from me.

I am also in the process of acquiring an AK pistol to eventually be SBRd for the same reasons.

Had a fellow INGOer asked a question that I could answer and help him/her out and didn't want to 'out' myself, I'd have either not posted or pm'd with my suggestion...geeeesh.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I'd be nervous carrying around a rifle. Seems like it's just not natural to carry around rifles in public. But it is legal of course.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Up here in NWI, it is very common to see backpacks, sling bags, etc on men of all ages. More common with men trouncing around with little ones. That would be me. After the Kenya mall incident and a weekend class I just took, I've determined that my chances of getting out of a bad situation with a rifle vs only having my carry handgun are much better.

Mind you, an underfolder is only slightly more than 25 inches long with the stock folded. That plus 4-6 loaded 30 round mags is plenty of advantage in my book and I like those odds...IF I find a discreet method of carry.

Also, my job has me in my vehicle alot, and I have to deal with emergency situations 24 hours a day...the flipside to that is that weapons are a no no...so, discreet is the name of the game.

Also, I will add that about 42% of Americans think its not natural to carry around handguns in public, even though its legal...

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Warning :This has very little useful information in it as to the discrete carry of a rifle. Mostly my ramblings and philosophy's of the subject.

Wish I could remember who it is I'm quoting but I read a fellow responded to the question of "Why are you carrying a pistol, are you expecting trouble?" with "No ma'am, if I was expecting trouble, I'd have brought my rifle.". I've no quams about someone carting a rifle around 24/7 if it floats their boat, so to speak; but the practicality of it has over-ridden it's import in my thinking.

Yes, lead's flying in a large scale ordeal like the Kenyan mall incident and you're in the middle ; you're going to wish you had a rifle over a handgun. But sames true of practically any incident isn't it? You'll wish you had a rifle over your handgun, it has higher points on every aspect over a handgun; baring compactness and ease of concealment.

I go by tiers: What's on ME is to get me to the vehicle. What's in the vehicle is to get me home. What's at home is to let me live (not to be confused with what will keep me alive).

All that said: What about just a reinforced duffel style bag? Something with a sturdy, hard bottom and a good divider. That wouldn't attract too much attention and if the divisioned area is covered, practical for the "baby stuff" or what have you as well.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I am a shotgun guy. This is what I use to transport and carry it around.
    F0BA7A5E-25FB-4C0C-ABBA-FFE81535EDA3-20564-000022437107F3C9_zps4f5ab0dd.jpg

I just use a old sling chair bag and I put a six inch tube inside so it keeps it shape. It works great for walking in to hotels or if you are just going to be setting outside like the beach, park, outside sporting events, drive-in or going fishing. Basically anyplace that I take a sling chair to sit on I take it. I did have someone one time ask if they could use the chair and I just said its broken.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I am a shotgun guy. This is what I use to transport and carry it around.
    F0BA7A5E-25FB-4C0C-ABBA-FFE81535EDA3-20564-000022437107F3C9_zps4f5ab0dd.jpg

I just use a old sling chair bag and I put a six inch tube inside so it keeps it shape. It works great for walking in to hotels or if you are just going to be setting outside like the beach, park, outside sporting events, drive-in or going fishing. Basically anyplace that I take a sling chair to sit on I take it. I did have someone one time ask if they could use the chair and I just said its broken.

Go Bears! Yes, the instructors were talking about older/higher quality camping chair bags...great idea for me if I want to use it as a truck gun. Will start looking around the garage for a "sacrificial bag!" Thanks, Lonehoosier.

Looks like I'll be off to the sporting goods store for some bag shopping for carry purposes.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I like the tennis racket bag, but sometimes a racket bag looks a little off.
    100_2089.jpg

Here's the camp chair bag I modded. I replaced one of the seams with Velcro and the "strap" is actually the sling. Very quick.
    100_1649.jpg
    100_1651.jpg

Here's my latest heavy go bag solution, an Emdom Gym-E bag:
    20130407_212056_zps7086e371.jpg
    20130407_220144_zps06a8c4e1.jpg
    20130407_220627_zpsc0340705.jpg
    20130407_220930_zps6ae396f1.jpg

20130407_220346_zps252e3e1f.jpg

For a pistol or SBR, I like the 5.11 Sling Bag. Almost as quick as my camp chair bag with more features. It has couple internal Molle fields, a single point sling connection, quick pull tabs, and the pistol pouch can be used independently as a new school fanny pack-like carry:
    2011-10-22132756.jpg
    The one on the left, they have a good YouTube video that I can't link right now.

There are also the skate bag styles like the original Sneaky Rifle bag, now the 5.11 M4 COVRT and UTG ABC. Always wanted one but have all these.

Another option I don't like as much is the rectangular bags like the CavArms and County Comm XL Sat Bag.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom