• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Firearm season comes in Wed. and goes till the end of the month in the southern portion of the state.
    I am anxious to break out the Moss. 835 and light one up.
    I have been seeing a bunch of toms travelling together. I have had them in shotgun range several times now. We will see if my luck continues when the 835 is in my hands instead of the Mathews.
    Anybody else fired up on chasing fall birds?

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I can't wait even if the weather man is calling for rain all day tomorrow.I'll be out there bright and early hoping to bag a bird.Good luck to all that go tomorrow

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I'll be out in Steuben County tomorrow. Tons of birds where I hunt. Supposed to be raining buckets... So I bought one of those screw-in umbrellas. :)

Good luck, stay safe... I hope to see some pics tomorrow!

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Good luck guys........man that weather is gonna suck. They are calling for high winds here.
    Doesn't matter much for me as I have to go to work. Thats ok though as I'm retiring in Dec. so no more missed openings for me. Thursday will be my first morning. 50/50 chance of rain then.
    Do you guys call? If so are you using basic yelps and purrs?
    I have had some succes in the fall by kee,keeing, sometimes throwing in a half a yelp at the end. That mimics a young lost bird. Fall hunting is kind of new to me, still trying to learn. So what say you guys?

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Went out all day except to come in and eat and take a short break.Didn't see anything but crows and squirrels.Funny thing is for the past 2 months the same 6 turkeys have been on my trail cam at roughly the same time every morning and evening.Low and behold they never showed.Pulled the trail cam card on my way in tonight and they were there like normal until Oct 12th then no sign of them from the 12th - today :xmad: So where the hell did my turkeys go?

On a more positive note.In 4 days my trail cam has taken 257 pictures and all were of deer :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I camp/fish at Lake Monroe mostly, and I have seen turkeys up on shore moving through the woods before. I've never been turkey hunting, but there was a good flock (maybe 18-20 birds (?) that I observed in Allen's Creek a few years back. I watched the flock walk right through one of my chosen camping spots. I wonder if that would still be a good area to hunt? Anyone hunt around Monroe?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    While bowhunting deer this morning, I had a bunch of toms roosted about 40 yards away. If they'd have flown down my direction, I'd have arrowed one of them. But, alas, they flew down the other way and walked up the ridge. I kept hearing soft hen yelps, then a little later heard three shotgun blasts in rapid succession. I couldn't figure out what was going on -- until I saw this thread and realized that the fall firearms turkey season is in. Whoever was doing the shooting on the neighboring property was trespassing, as no hunting is allowed there.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    we were turkey/squirrel hunting most of the day. Mostly walking around.

Managed to see a few birds, but they saw us first.

The youngest got a little excited and shot right under a squirrel, had fun razzing him about it the rest of the day.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I killed a nice tom yesterday at 5:30 pm in Daviess Co.
    I set up at 3:30 and was done in 2 hours. I pretty well had these birds patterned so I just waited for them to show up. 4 toms came by and I went home with one.
    Double beard @ 11-1/4" & 7 3/4"
    1" Sharp spurs
    17#
    Shot distance 45yds.
    Mossberg 835 stoked with WWsupreme 3.5" #6 shot.
    Dropped him, and one of his buddies came over and flogged him.
    Posting pic's here is a pita [at least for me]
    If someone wants to do it, pm me and I'll e mail the pic's.

Last edited:

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    Usually dont fall hunt but seeing them while bow hunting deer got me fired up. I am taking on the challenge of shooting one with the bow. hoping to get a deer and turkey with the same arrow. And with a deer already down....its turkey time!

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    My dad got one last week. The property he hunts them on has a high number this year for some reason. I have seen some on the place I deer hunt. Had 4 come within 10 yards on Saturday. I never see any so this year has been a treat...go figure if I buy a tag they will all leave!

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    No turkey for me this fall. In the north our season ended Sunday. I found feathers, tracks, droppings, scratch, mast, but never saw a bird. I scouted for miles and never positively identified a roost. Now I've got months to practice calling for spring.

All is not lost. While out I got to encounter great horned owl, barred owl, sandhill crane, junco, coyote, woodcock, deer, and more. Always great to just sit in the woods for hours.

Top Bottom