• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Anybody like these things as much I do? I think it's a combination of their affordability and utility, but I'm thinking about starting a collection. I love the Toppers, Marlins, and Savage/Stevens models. My grandpa's go to gun was a Winchester 37 Red letter 12 ga. And it was a fine work horse. So who's got a safe or closet full of these things? Anybody ever find one at a yard sale or buy one for dirt cheap? Lets here some single shot stories. thanks all

mattkellyind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Marion In (Central)
    I picked up a "like new" Savage model 220 20 gauge hammerless last year for 80 dollars which is about the going rate but this one still had half of the box of paper shell with it that was bought when the gun was. Had about 8 rounds fired through it. Since it has no numbers on it I assume it was pre WWII. On the bottom in front of the trigger is a pretty goose flying pattern. I used it for them tasty tree rats this year. Modern Ammo no problems I am amazed how crisp the lock up is. I agree with you single shots are very collectable. I do kind of wish that I would have made her a safe queen as now she has battle scares from twenty plus trips to the field.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I have a Stevens model 94 with the Tenite Stocks that I bought for $20. This old timer used it for a turkey gun. Its got to be around WWII or the 50's. The onlt thing is he put a fiber optic front bead on it.................but alas...20 bucks. The lock up on it is like Ft. Knox, and is a great shooter, points well, etc

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have quite a few of them, I buy them up on Hoosier Topics whenever they are priced cheap. Over 6 of them now, varying manufacturers, but mostly NEF. Each one has a sling attached, a stock shell saddle (with the rear sling swivel put through it to keep it from moving under fire and usage) and each one immacualtely taken completely apart, cleaned then tested. They sit in my second safe. The stock saddles are fully loaded, chamber is empty and each has a hull bag hanging off it for passing out. They are my SHTF pass out guns.

Without formal training or realistically any training, the single shot shotgun is probably the easiest to fire, maintain and repair. I have repaired a few with parts that were not designed for it (using a Marlin hammer spring on a NEF worked just fine). They are a nice, handy short gun for HD or can use slugs for longer distance.With 30 rounds a piece for my SHTF stock, they can give a member of another's family home defense, hunting on the fly or get out of town capability. Less than $60 in weapon and ammo and I have ensured someone's survival for potentially years to come.

There are tribes in South America that are using completely destroyed, rusted and daamged single shot shotguns for hunting that still soldier on despite completely rusted internals, mismatched parts, split stocks and even barrels! The ones we have in the US are inexpensive, but not cheap, in their materials (particularly the NEF/Marlin/HR, etc... Rossis and others have alot of cast parts in them). While not enough for monetary value, they can hold sentimental value with us. :) First deer I took was with a HR .410 single shot. I used to practice with my truck drivin' step dad at the creek by throwing cans into the creek to simulate a "running target". :)

Do I like single shots? Yeah... :D With practice, one can run them pretty quick if needed too!

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I have dads old single shot 12 gauge made by armory gun company its got to be 70 yrs old or more it kicked like a sob. Does anyone know anything about this company ?

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    I picked up a "like new" Savage model 220 20 gauge hammerless last year for 80 dollars which is about the going rate but this one still had half of the box of paper shell with it that was bought when the gun was. Had about 8 rounds fired through it. Since it has no numbers on it I assume it was pre WWII. On the bottom in front of the trigger is a pretty goose flying pattern. I used it for them tasty tree rats this year. Modern Ammo no problems I am amazed how crisp the lock up is. I agree with you single shots are very collectable. I do kind of wish that I would have made her a safe queen as now she has battle scares from twenty plus trips to the field.

Matt, if you look in the action when you break open your shotgun, that is where Savage normally stamped serial numbers and date codes.

The only gun my Dad ever owned is an Eastern Arms 12 gauge single. It was made by Savage/Stevens and sold by Sears. I have it in the safe, and have collected other Eastern Arms singles to go with it--- an additional 12, two 16's, a 20, and a .410.

Last weekend, I also bought a Savage ".44 shot" single, a forerunner of the .410 bore shotguns.

As Sasquatchhunter stated, it's a cheap niche in the gun collecting hobby.

Top Bottom