• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    if so would you be willing to take some measurements for me.... should be pretty simple and straight forward. i have a knack to try and get a 10/22 to fit into one but need some measurements.

pm me with a phone number and ill call you asap.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'm not sure what you mean? What are you trying to do....I don't have a Brown Bess, just curious...I do have a .54 flintlock though

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    getting a walnut brown bess roughed out blank, having the stock maker leave it a bit wide so i know i will have enough material to support the reciever.

the bess had a 42 inch barrel.
    a ruger reciever is 6 inches
    going to buy a 28 inch green mountain .920 barrel and its recessed into the reciever about an inch. will thread the end of it and put a 9 inch barrel shroud on it. maybe a bit less depending on how long the tech sights bull barrel adapter is. this should give me darn near the proper length.

now for ease of work on my part and the man hours involved i will full length bed the barrel and free float the reciever. free floating the reciever will save me much tedious work w/ the inletting.

i will use a pillar to set the depth of the reciever also controlling how much of the trigger pack sticks out from the bottom.

few problems though which is why i need a brown bess... i need the overal length, and i need some measurements of the forward part. also need to take a look at some of the inletting for the brass furniture and the angles on the sides of the stock that hold the lock. since my stock is oversized that nice looking profile will not be there and i will have to put them there. also need to see where the forend tapers down.

long story short is it will be no easy feat but there is no reason besides my own lack of motivation that would keep it from working.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Track of the Wolf - First Model Brown Bess Musket, flint lock marked 1746 WILLITS, .77 caliber Colerain 46" barrel, detailed with correct proof marks, by Kendall Brady

Six images here that you might be able to use... You don't want to order the musket from them, though, I don't think. ;)

If you have any luck doing this, I might be interested in one. Let me know, k?

Bill

i have all the pictures i could want. i need to put my hands on one to get the info that i need to replicate it properly. thanks for the help.

i wouldnt expect this to be a short term project. the inletting alone may take me a few weeks, let alone all the brass hardware, finishing the stock out, and applying some sort of coating.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i have all the pictures i could want. i need to put my hands on one to get the info that i need to replicate it properly. thanks for the help.

i wouldnt expect this to be a short term project. the inletting alone may take me a few weeks, let alone all the brass hardware, finishing the stock out, and applying some sort of coating.

on second thought, that photo does help... ill try to replicate the long land patern... means a longer barrel shroud by 4 inches, BUT makes it so i dont have to fit a brass cap at the end, and i can use any wooden dowel for the ramrod. this would be period correct as well (minus the ruger parts) because it would have been left over from the french and indian war.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Nothing wrong at all with a Long Land Pattern musket. The SLP had only been accepted to infantry service 7 years prior to the battles of Lexington and Concord and between long supply lines and pre-industrial manufacturing methods, I'd wager there was a high percentage of LLP muskets in use on both sides of the battle lines that day. His Majesty's officers would be carrying privately owned fusils, smaller in both bore and OAL than the Bess.

The King's troops were very rarely stationed in the area from which they were conscripted (to reduce the likelihood of an army-supported uprising). The veterans amongst the colonial forces would fall into two categories: men from other parts of the Empire who mustered out in America and chose to stay and American colonists who had served in other parts of the world and returned home. As an aside, old Sam Whittemore falls into the first category. He was born in England and came to America as a Dragoon officer in the campaign against the French.

Since colonial veterans often had campaigned on foreign shores, battlefield pickup and trophy weapons were nearly as common as official issued pieces. A firearm once in the family would be passed down from father to son and repaired by local artisans until it was no longer servicable. Militiamen carrying arms of British origin would most likely have the LLP left over from the French and Indian war, but there were high incidences of hunting and military arms of French, British and even Spanish origin.

I think your idea of the Brown Bess replica is just awesome, but don't sweat one version from the other. As long as you don't show up with an India or New Land pattern, you can be reasonably certain that the musket you are copying saw service during the RevWar. If you can't find something locally, contact BrownBessEd on the Appleseed forum. He's based near Chicago and is a RevWar reenactor with a SLP Brown Bess. photo

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    last time i send it to the top.... if you know someone ANYONE who has a brown bess w/in reasonable driving distance of INDPLS please please let me know, the project will be starting soon.

Top Bottom