• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Yes, I'm a grown man with a major needle phobia.

Tell me your EMG horror stories!!!

P.S. I chickened out nearly 2 years ago but am tired of dealing with the back pain. 2x Double study MRI's on my back and neck didn't reveal much - possibly arthritic changes in my lumbar region.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    You asked for horror stories.....

Yes sir I did.

You sound a lot like me. I've been watching vids on YouTube for the past hour and my hands are ice cold. I'd rather wrangle up a rattlesnake than have this damn test done. I'm not kidding either.

I feel like I'm going to have heart failure every time I get a shot, lol.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Honestly most of it is not that bad. Depending on what all is being tested, most of the sites tested don't really hurt that much. There are a couple though that will curl your toes. They seem to save those for the end. While yes it sucks, if needed I would not hesitate to have it done again.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Honestly most of it is not that bad. Depending on what all is being tested, most of the sites tested don't really hurt that much. There are a couple though that will curl your toes. They seem to save those for the end. While yes it sucks, if needed I would not hesitate to have it done again.

Thanks buddy. It's not the pain I'm worried about, it's that horrible thought of a needle being inserted. It's horrible, I have nightmares about crap like that. I know, it sounds pathetic.... Even I laugh about it before the shot. Come needle day I can assure you no lol'ing will be had!!

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    I had it done on 3 occasions for a blown out disc and broken pelvic. It didn't bother me a bit. What's the big deal about it?

Imagine your worst fear - Heights, spiders, snakes, Hillary in the sack - whatever - Pick your poison.

Needles are mine.

I'd let a tarantula crawl across my balls before I got a shot.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Imagine your worst fear - Heights, spiders, snakes, Hillary in the sack - whatever - Pick your poison.

Needles are mine.

Hillary in the sack doesn't scare me. I used to drink heavily and have some scary arse memories.
    The involuntary muscle actions are weird/different and uncomfortable afterwards but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.
    I didn't get off on shooting dye in my spinal fluids at all. That was a nasty headache plus.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

Needles are mine.

Don't forget that a good deal of the test does not include any needles at all. Each test is different as the doctor discovers what all needs to be tested. You may not have to endure many. You are right, it really isn't that painful, just a weird sensation and your mind takes it further. Just go to your happy place. Maybe they will let you search INGO during the test!

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Hillary in the sack doesn't scare me. I used to drink heavily and have some scary arse memories.
    The involuntary muscle actions are weird/different and uncomfortable afterwards but I didn't think it was that big of a deal.
    I didn't get off on shooting dye in my spinal fluids at all. That was a nasty headache plus.

LOL!!

Glad I never picked up the "stranger in bed" habit!

I'm probably making a much bigger deal out of it than it actually is. I'm just really that freaked out by needles. Last cortisone injection I had I told the doctor "I'm freaked by needles". After the profuse sweating and damn near passing out, the Sports Medicine guy said, "Man, you really are freaked out by shots!".

I'm not worried by the shocks or involuntary muscle spasms, just the needle insertion and locations. I'm sure I'll live.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Don't forget that a good deal of the test does not include any needles at all. Each test is different as the doctor discovers what all needs to be tested. You may not have to endure many. You are right, it really isn't that painful, just a weird sensation and your mind takes it further. Just go to your happy place. Maybe they will let you search INGO during the test!

Thanks man, I sure appreciate the vote of confidence.

Don't worry, I'll be letting the lady know everything beforehand (likely about 10 times). Hopefully she's not a sadist!!!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    LOL!!

Glad I never picked up the "stranger in bed" habit!

I'm probably making a much bigger deal out of it than it actually is. I'm just really that freaked out by needles. Last cortisone injection I had I told the doctor "I'm freaked by needles". After the profuse sweating and damn near passing out, the Sports Medicine guy said, "Man, you really are freaked out by shots!".

I'm not worried by the shocks or involuntary muscle spasms, just the needle insertion and locations. I'm sure I'll live.

It's not like those needles are spears or anything wicked. Very small and penetrate with little if any feel about it. I hate needles too. I break out in a sweat thinking about blood tests. I get my sugar checked at the VA all the time and hate that littls SNAP PRICK thingy they use. I'm definitely not a fan of getting anything inserted into me at all but it's really not as big a deal as you're worrying yourself into believing. Heck, it's nothing compared to a 12 ga single shot with magnum slugs. LOL!

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    It's not like those needles are spears or anything wicked. Very small and penetrate with little if any feel about it. I hate needles too. I break out in a sweat thinking about blood tests. I get my sugar checked at the VA all the time and hate that littls SNAP PRICK thingy they use. I'm definitely not a fan of getting anything inserted into me at all but it's really not as big a deal as you're worrying yourself into believing. Heck, it's nothing compared to a 12 ga single shot with magnum slugs. LOL!

Hahaha thanks man!

Laughing at my ridiculousness is already making me feel better about it. I'm sure the day of won't be fun, but I really do need to bite-the-bullet (or needle) and do it. I'm sure I've already suffered 10000x more dealing with the back crap versus the discomfort of a few needle pricks. Just a mental thing I've had going since I was a kid. Sure wish I could get over it. "Facing your fear" doesn't seem to work with needles. I loathe the next one 10x worse than the one before, lol.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    It's so not a big deal... I despise needles and understand the anxiety, but it's nothing like an injection or blood draw. Quite nearly painless.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I was serious on the first post. It was not "Horrible", but really uncomfortable. The 2nd time I was running late to my appointment, then had to wait awhile while they was doing something. By the time they got it started (I had been wired up for awhile), I really needed to ****. It was agonizing trying to old that while the test was going on.

Top Bottom