Anybody have any experience with the Sig 556R 7.62mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I doubt anyone is going to have much experience with the 7.62x39 version of the Sig 556, because I dont think its out yet.

One big draw for me is that it is suppose to take standard AK mags! Its on my 'look into' list, thats for sure!

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I doubt anyone is going to have much experience with the 7.62x39 version of the Sig 556, because I dont think its out yet.

One big draw for me is that it is suppose to take standard AK mags! Its on my 'look into' list, thats for sure!

Well somebody better tell Gunbroker.com and their merchants to quit selling yet even more potential vaporware then! :)

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I'd certainly like to see them start popping up on gunbroker. The x39 version is out but I have yet to see the x51.

They'll have to take off that auto switch for me to own it too:ar15:

Yeah that's what I meant: the x39. I forgot we were talking about x51 also. For what I want, the x39 would do me just fine......and I'm sure it's $400 or $500 cheaper than what the P716 is going to be when it finally changes from a vapor into a solid. :)

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I was looking real hard at the Sig 556 last year. But then I heard about the 556 being offered in 7.62x39.

I didn't wait and ended up with a PTR 32 in 7.62x39, instead. I am interested in the SIG 556R, but I heard that it may eventually be offered with a longer barrel than 16".

So, I will wait. What is nice about these (2) rifles besides ergonomics, is that they are in 7.62x39 (versatile caliber) and they can use AK style magazines.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Long range shooting/fun/pinking for now. Part of my SHTF defense for later.

I can't speak for the long range part for the Sig 556R but Im very sure you will have alot of fun shooting/pinking and alot of it for the price of the rounds. I also have no doubts that the 7.62x39 will hold it own in SHTF moments giving that you have trained yourself how to properly use the firearm. So that means lots of muscle memory and practice making perfect.

I don't know your idea of long range, but I have confidence in the 7.62x39 out too 300/400yards, but thats not from experience with this rifle thats from my own personal experience with the SKS and AK47. The AK has a 1/9.45 twist rate. Effective to 400 meter or 440 yards. Your Sig556R has a 1/9.5 twist and a better quality barrel then the thin AK47 barrel. So I can only speculate that the Sig barrel with not have the down fall of the "barrel flex" that most if not all AKs have, witch is a main factor in the inaccuracy of the AK47 at longer ranges.

If your not aware of the "barrel flex" problem search it on youtube. You will find a few videos on slow motion that will allow you to see it.

If you want longer ranges you will need the faster more stable round such as the (7.62 nato/.308WIN)

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    I can't speak for the long range part for the Sig 556R but Im very sure you will have alot of fun shooting/pinking and alot of it for the price of the rounds. I also have no doubts that the 7.62x39 will hold it own in SHTF moments giving that you have trained yourself how to properly use the firearm. So that means lots of muscle memory and practice making perfect.

I don't know your idea of long range, but I have confidence in the 7.62x39 out too 300/400yards, but thats not from experience with this rifle thats from my own personal experience with the SKS and AK47. The AK has a 1/9.45 twist rate. Effective to 400 meter or 440 yards. Your Sig556R has a 1/9.5 twist and a better quality barrel then the thin AK47 barrel. So I can only speculate that the Sig barrel with not have the down fall of the "barrel flex" that most if not all AKs have, witch is a main factor in the inaccuracy of the AK47 at longer ranges.

If your not aware of the "barrel flex" problem search it on youtube. You will find a few videos on slow motion that will allow you to see it.

If you want longer ranges you will need the faster more stable round such as the (7.62 nato/.308WIN)
    :yesway:
    7.62 x 39mm is med power 30 cal round and not generally known for long range capability or accuracy. NO where close to a .308/7.62 x 51.
    Even a high dollar Sig is not going to turn this cartridge into a long range, nail driving, power house, that was never the intent of the round.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    :yesway:
    7.62 x 39mm is med power 30 cal round and not generally known for long range capability or accuracy. NO where close to a .308/7.62 x 51.
    Even a high dollar Sig is not going to turn this cartridge into a long range, nail driving, power house, that was never the intent of the round.

You Sir are a correct! :+1:

At the same time whats your idea of long range? Whats the farthest range at your local gun range? If you only have a 300 yard range then this sounds like your money maker. :ar15:

Can I ask whats your shooting experience? If your a experienced marksman I would say you might want a 7.62Nato/.308WIN. Push yourself to new challenges and see how far you can go? If your a new shooter you might want a less expensive round such as the 7.62x39 round to help you drill yourself with the basics all the way into the advanced.

Don't make the mistake in thinking that you have to have the best rifle, the best rounds, and the most expensive prices to make your guns, and yourself the "Tom Berenger" of Indiana. Start small become a expert of your craft then jump the ladder into the higher prices.

PS. If your going to stock up for SHTF you can pic up about 800 rounds of 7.62x39 for about $150 if that doesn't help you threw the Zombie Apocalypse,:draw: Red Dawn,:ar15: or the Mongolian Hordes nothing will.

:ranton:

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    300-400 yards is fine. I'm not looking to enter competitions. I like the cheap cost of the x39 round and it'll take down a SHTF deer easy, until they're all gone and I start eating humans. (just kidding)

My experience? 14 years in the Guard and Army Reserves. I'm bored with 5.56mm. It's time for something new and a little more powerful. It may not be a lot more powerful but it'll be enough to get a little more effective range if I need it. And I'd put my money on the Sig barrel being more accurate than common GI issue.

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    I read an article in a NRA magazine about the Sig 716 in 7.62X51, it was suppose to use M14 mags,but I see that they switched to the Stoner SR25 type mags now.
    I am eagerly awaiting these to hit the shelves.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Against my better judgement I went ahead and picked one of the 556R's up after rejecting the two rifles from the first batch my dealer got in due to such poor fit and finish. He got two more rifles in and while neither was perfect, I picked what I thought was the best of the two and took it home.

YouTube - Sig 556R Malfunctions

I returned it to my dealer and he graciously took it back.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Thanks for the efforts on the video. I wonder if some of the problems will disappear with "break-in"? Looks like Sig didn't do their homework in development and testing. My only complaint about the video is that the Hoosier flag wasn't more prominent during the intro. :)

What kind of ammo were you using? Could that have been a contributing factor?

Top Bottom