• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    A friend and us got a dog from the same breeder. The friend got here a month or two before we got ours. They are from different parents. The friend's dog was diagnosed with bone cancer the other day. Both dogs are less than a year old. So it has got me into thinking of pet insurance for my dog.

If anybody has any recommendations I would be very appreciative.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Was it a good breeder? Good Bloodlines? My Lab is 14 this year, and she really has been healthy all her life.I bought her from a real good breeder,paid twice the going rate for her,but in the long run she is the real deal.Insurance, I never worried about it. Most breeds have a 15 % or better health problems,and your friend may have fell in that window.Call the breeder and talk to them..if they are breeding to improve the line...they will talk to you.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    All the reputable breeders around here give good health warranties. When my dog was diagnosed with epilepsy I called the breeder to just let her know. The breeder gave me a full refund without me even asking.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Pet insurance companies have made some really good deals to get people on board, then added more restrictions and more paperwork.

Remember that the insurance companies are going to come out ahead (on average) or they couldn't exist.

If you want to spend the premium money to be prepared for an extremely high bill, then it may be what you want. But remember that "extreme" in vet medicine is $10K. Finding someone who spent more than that on 1 injury or condition is very difficult. Actually, it's only a handful of people that have spent $3K.

In general, you will come out better if you put aside some money every year (in addition to the basic care, preventative heartworm medicine, etc) so you are ready when there is an emergency.

Most animals cost a lot the first year (puppy or kitten series, spay or neuter, training, etc) and then when they are older. The majority of young adult to middle age care is lower cost.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I loved and provided great care to every pet I ever owned. As far as I'm concerned, people are free to spend their money on any legal transaction they desire for whatever reason they choose. However, if at any point my family or myself has to suffer unreasonably in order to provide for a pet, the pet is gonna lose that battle. Not trying to sound harsh here, just expressing what I feel is realistic.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I honestly can't imagine spending that much money on an animal. Each to their own, but as a kid most serious ailments among the animals were resolved with the cost of a .22 unless it was a cow.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We used Pet Insurance for a couple years. It was about 50/mo for each dog. They provided great preventative care(heart worm, flea and tick, etc)...and did decent on the preventative care(80/20)...but I signed up for a 500 deductible on the sickness. That nailed us when one of our dogs got sick. We spent 493 dollars on care on that one illness they said.

Both dogs lapsed a year or 2 ago and we haven't re-upped it.

I really disliked forking over 500 bucks, then waiting for a month or so to be reimbursed about 300 of it. Math wise...I'm not sure how great a deal it is unless they get very sick. For us it was 25/mo for wellness, and about the same for deductible heatlh care.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I sincerely hope you get the results you desire from your endeavors sir. Sorry to hear you are having these difficulties.

50-50

One dog died (cancer)

Other dog was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, we now give her Insulin shots twice a day. Plus special food. Plus blood tests every other week. It continues.

I would do it again if I had to.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    50-50

One dog died (cancer)

Other dog was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, we now give her Insulin shots twice a day. Plus special food. Plus blood tests every other week. It continues.

I would do it again if I had to.

A year ago, my parents lost one of their dogs, a Rottweiler, to diabetes. When he was diagnosed, the VET. Said that only 1% of her patients give their dog insulin. Most just immediately put them down.
    My parents gave their Rotty insulin shots twice a day. And continued on when he lost his eye sight.

In the end, they realized they were just keeping him alive for them. He was in so much pain, so they had to have the VET put him down. It was awful.

My parents spent thousands of dollars, and would do it again.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    A year ago, my parents lost one of their dogs, a Rottweiler, to diabetes. When he was diagnosed, the VET. Said that only 1% of her patients give their dog insulin. Most just immediately put them down.
    My parents gave their Rotty insulin shots twice a day. And continued on when he lost his eye sight.

In the end, they realized they were just keeping him alive for them. He was in so much pain, so they had to have the VET put him down. It was awful.

My parents spent thousands of dollars, and would do it again.
    Well my dog is in no pain, or so says my Vet.

Dog is doing well now. She will tell you so.

But apparently a lot of people don't do the regular (2x to 3x a day, 2 days a month) blood tests, and those cost more than the insulin. But the blood tests are the key to successful management so the dogs don't go blind, etc.

My daughter also has Type 1 Insulin dependant diabetes, never thought of putting her down either.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Melensdad, you are correct that regular monitoring and diligence is key to the quality of life. I'm sorry to hear your daughter has diabetes also. It does mean, of course, that you already understand the condition and what to watch for. It's tougher to regulate dogs quite as well because they usually aren't tested multiple times per day like some people are. (that is an option though if you want to buy a home glucometer specifically for dogs and learn to take samples usually from the ear margin or paw).

With dogs, the cataracts usually occur (eventually) even if you follow full recommendations. I'm not trying to be negative, just giving you fair warning.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Melensdad, you are correct that regular monitoring and diligence is key to the quality of life. I'm sorry to hear your daughter has diabetes also. It does mean, of course, that you already understand the condition and what to watch for. It's tougher to regulate dogs quite as well because they usually aren't tested multiple times per day like some people are. (that is an option though if you want to buy a home glucometer specifically for dogs and learn to take samples usually from the ear margin or paw).

With dogs, the cataracts usually occur (eventually) even if you follow full recommendations. I'm not trying to be negative, just giving you fair warning.
    Well if anything is "good" about our situation, our dog is already fairly elderly. She's an 11.5 year old Akita, a breed that typically lives about 12 years. Sometimes less, sometimes longer. She has other issues that are not life threatening. She sees well, but is mostly deaf. Hears loud and sharp noise, but she understands hand signals combined with clapping so she manages to respond to commands pretty well. She's old and slow and doesn't wander and she also has a secure fenced yard.

Honestly hoping that she dies peacefully of natural causes/old age before there are complications/issues.

Top Bottom