Anybody heard of Americans for Limited Government?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Got a Vote history audit in the mail from them today.It has my name address and the names and addresses of my neighbors and if we voted in 2008 and 2010.

If my neighbors got the same thing I don't think I like it that they now know if I voted in 08 and 10.

What are your thoughts?

racer77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    it's frightening how much info political partys and goverment have on each individual in the USA. But that is whole other discussion... I just viewed a debate including James Carvelle, known as a political consultant guru employed to win close elections... He explained it as a way to see how many UNEXPECTED voters will show up to the polls and their party affiliation. I think they are fishing for swing voters on a regional basis.

I found these guys at kitco.com/debates while researching the gold market. Pretty boring but his comments were about 3/4 the way through.

can't link it cuz i haven't figured out how... computers make me sad.

:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Got one. Mine was wrong. Apparently I didn't vote at the last presidential election. Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Didn't vote in the general or didn't vote in the primary?

All of this info is available from your county. In many cases, data for everyone in the county can be had for the cost of paper or a blank writable CD.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Didn't vote in the general or didn't vote in the primary?

All of this info is available from your county. In many cases, data for everyone in the county can be had for the cost of paper or a blank writable CD.

Yes, the county election office maintains lists of people who voted in the primary and general elections. How many people have access to that information, I couldn't tell you. I do know that sometimes campaigns will purchase these lists so that they can mail out campaign materials to certain individuals. Sorry I can't be more specific. To the OP, this is more than likely how the group you are talking about obtained your name and mailing address.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I had talked with a friend who had received one earlier in the day. When I was disposing of junk mail I discovered I had received one a couple days ago. I have to question the accuracy of it since it has listed that me and most of my neighbors didn't vote in 2010. I'm almost positive I voted, I always vote.

One of the neighbors they have listed as a neighbor moved several years ago and wasn't even a neighbor in 2008 or 2010.

Overall I don't think it is anyone else's business who votes. Might as well include the party too if they are trying to shame people.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I contacted my County Board of Elections. They informed me that such is a matter of public record, and as such, isn't privileged from public view.

They never heard of this mailer being sent out, but I did scan and email it to them. They were a bit taken back from it.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Not sure if I voted in the primary. Quite possibly not. But then the mailer didn't mention that at all, so I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Seems an unreasonable thing to base a "vote history audit" on.

The lists I had from the counties I canvased included what Party you declared when you voted in primaries and then if you showed up or not to vote in the general.

With data from the previous 4 elections (midterms and presidential), you can make some pretty good assumptions about the voter's preferences and how you want to approach them.

These pieces aren't about shaming anyone, they are basically a last minute effort to grab informal volunteers to approach their neighbors. They hope is that your more involved neighbors are going to see who aren't as involved (and maybe see what way they leaned in the past) then go chat them up about why they should be getting out to the polling station.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I didn't see a single thing related to party. Just a list of local neighbors (some no longer there) and whether they voted in 2008 and 2010. They do not ask you to contact neighbors. All-in-all, I'd say this is definitely intrusive and doesn't even make clear what their point is.

So: bad data, intrusive, no stated intent, no suggestions on what they think should be done. Pretty much an all-around fail on American's for Limited Government's part.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I didn't see a single thing related to party. Just a list of local neighbors (some no longer there) and whether they voted in 2008 and 2010. They do not ask you to contact neighbors. All-in-all, I'd say this is definitely intrusive and doesn't even make clear what their point is.

So: bad data, intrusive, no stated intent, no suggestions on what they think should be done. Pretty much an all-around fail on American's for Limited Government's part.

These pieces may have been poorly put together then. I haven't seen them. I live in one of the most conservative counties in the state so the group probably figures there is no reason to waste postage somewhere that their candidate will already win by double digits.

All the same... I'm sure it will convince a few people to spark a conversation about voting with a neighbor. Considering all the "MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF OUR LIFETIME" nonsense, I don't see how it won't get people talking to each other.

Including the party affiliation of primary voting isn't that important because if you know your neighbor well enough to chat him up about voting then you probably have a good idea of what his feelings are on certain issues that important to the candidates.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If you get campaign mailers delivered to your house, it is because you are on their lists. They aren't using a phone book to solicit your vote.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    These pieces may have been poorly put together then. I haven't seen them. I live in one of the most conservative counties in the state so the group probably figures there is no reason to waste postage somewhere that their candidate will already win by double digits.

All the same... I'm sure it will convince a few people to spark a conversation about voting with a neighbor. Considering all the "MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF OUR LIFETIME" nonsense, I don't see how it won't get people talking to each other.

Including the party affiliation of primary voting isn't that important because if you know your neighbor well enough to chat him up about voting then you probably have a good idea of what his feelings are on certain issues that important to the candidates.

I got one of the mailers yesterday too. And I agree with your take on it. I think this is much ado about nothing. Particularly since the info is erroneous. Both Mr88GT and I are listed as not voting in '10. We did. Both primary and general.

If you get campaign mailers delivered to your house, it is because you are on their lists. They aren't using a phone book to solicit your vote.
    Yeah, it's called a postal mailing list. Businesses buy them for solicitations. There's no grand conspiracy here.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Have you noticed a theme here folks?

They have EVERYONE in this thread listed as voting in 2008, but not voting in 2010 regardless of how or when you voted.

;)

Sounds to me like a bulk mail piece with all identical information aimed at trying to target the majority and inspire them to vote in both 2012 and 2014....

Similar to a fitness facility sending EVERYONE in a zip code a flyer that says... "Get back into working out today!!!" even though they have no way of knowing whether or not you are currently working out?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I contacted my County Board of Elections. They informed me that such is a matter of public record, and as such, isn't privileged from public view.

They never heard of this mailer being sent out, but I did scan and email it to them. They were a bit taken back from it.

In Indiana we do not register with party ID. Rather they track if you vote in the primary then based on whether you pull a R or D ballot they rank you as R or D or leaning towards one party or the other. If you never vote in a primary then you are seen as an independent.

Every precinct committeeman can get lists of voters in his neighborhood. It is public record.

Top Bottom