• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    We have a couple stands of bamboo at our property. I didn't realize how invasive the stuff is and it's moving into the woods and choking out a lot of other good plants. I've tried Roundup, Ortho Ground Clear, and other herbicides and nothing seems to touch this stuff. What can I use to kill it off?
    I've read that you can drown it if you keep it flooded with water but that's not feasible in these locations.
    Thanks

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    We have a couple stands of bamboo at our property. I didn't realize how invasive the stuff is and it's moving into the woods and choking out a lot of other good plants. I've tried Roundup, Ortho Ground Clear, and other herbicides and nothing seems to touch this stuff. What can I use to kill it off?
    I've read that you can drown it if you keep it flooded with water but that's not feasible in these locations.
    Thanks

:postpics:
    OK, not worthless, but I gotta see what a bamboo stand in Indiana looks like. What does it sound like in the wind, etc. I know this isn't helpful, but bamboo fascinates me. Some varieties will grow where it snows.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Maybe Panda bear? From what I know of trying to kill stuff with roundup I would cut it down and wait for it to start growing again. Once it has started growing again spray all of the leaves and stalk every few days for a few weeks.

I am in Evansville, message me. I would be willing to try and kill it for fun

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I had a guy from PSI give me a mix of Garlon and Pinnovator to kill any and all woody species on the property. It worked well, but has to be applied quickly(within 24 hours) after sawing the main trunk. I sprayed it on the exposed trunk or whatever was left sticking up from the ground. Dont recall the mixture ratio,sorry

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Arsenal if it is in an area that you do not mind killing all the rooted stuff it incounters.

We used it when someone planted it as a road screen. I think it was an onimental bamboo and in a line to cover a road from the yard. These people fell on hard times and the bamboo was let go for about 4 years while they struggled to keep the house while living in southren california. When they sold the house to my friend the bamboo was so think and wide that it made a prefect fence as there was not way to get through it. It took two summers to get rid of it all and replant white pine trees.

We did build a nice litttle outside bar area with the bamboo we cut down. Jimmy buffet would have been proud of that bar.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Maybe not possible if its in a heavily wooded area, but just mow it down. It will quit sprouting eventually. Had some at my Grandfathers house for years and he got tired of it, so we cut it all down and just mowed over it every week. Eventually, the grass took over and the bamboo never came back.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Depending on how tall the stand is I would cut it down to a height of approx 6 inches above the ground, then treat the cuts with a 20% mixture of Garlon 4 and water.

This should almost eliminate the stand, but if any sprouts return use the same mix rate directly to foliage appearing.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Borrow a giant Panda from the zoo for a few days, your bamboo would be gone. But I think they are rather pretty to look at. If more grew around it, you'd get a wall for privacy.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I thought about digging a pretty deep trench and concreting it [a long oval for example] and then planting some bamboo in the middle of the trench at one point as a form of 'natural' fence.

Figure it's a fence that won't need coated/repaired... Maybe some trimming here or there...

Never did end up doing it though - was too afraid it would somehow spread outside of it's containment and then I'd have a big problem.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    From what I've heard about bamboo, the first thing you need to do is confine it.
    You need to drive metal or plastic barriers into the ground around it.
    I don't remember the exact depth but pretty deep, 12'' or so.

That first link seemed to be about right.

Good luck

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    :postpics:
    OK, not worthless, but I gotta see what a bamboo stand in Indiana looks like. What does it sound like in the wind, etc. I know this isn't helpful, but bamboo fascinates me. Some varieties will grow where it snows.
    I believe it is actually not "bamboo" but some kind of "Japanese knotweed" or something like that. I think the DNR has lots of info on it.

We surrounded our garden with a double fence, and run the goats in the 'perimeter', and the few times a start appears inside the garden, we use the concentrated glyphosphate (Roundup).

454puttna

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    martinsville
    Go to your local CO-OP and try "reward" its not listed for bamboo but it kills everything and its safe in run off waters. They recommend adding a "surfactant" to it but adding a tsp (per gal) of plain lemon dish soap has the same effect. Just add it after adding water...sudds you know. Last I check a gallon goes for a couple hundred but this is real stuff.

Top Bottom