Anybody know where to find British Asssociation screws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have something that I think takes 6BA screw size (.1102" X 47.85 tpi) and really don't want to order them online because almost all of them come from overseas and of course the shipping kills the economics of it... any suggestions?

FWIW, I called Kleindorfers Hardware in Bloomington (they supposedly have everything under the sun) but they don't have any of them...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have something that I think takes 6BA screw size (.1102" X 47.85 tpi) and really don't want to order them online because almost all of them come from overseas and of course the shipping kills the economics of it... any suggestions?

FWIW, I called Kleindorfers Hardware in Bloomington (they supposedly have everything under the sun) but they don't have any of them...

I'd call around to other hardware stores in "the area".

VonTobel's in Lafayette may be a good choice.

OR tell us a bit about what application they're for and perhaps a substitute could be found? Or machined?

-J-

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bet shipping will be cheaper than your time and gas trying to find them in Indiana.

I bought a solar car from China for $2.99 shipped. The Chinese have figured out international shipping. Time for us to do the same.

You can buy an LED pig flashlight with free shipping from China for $1.16.

Cheap Mini Pig 2 LEDs Flashlight White (3*AG3 Included)

They make CHILDREN swim across the Pacific, towing cargo containers just so you can have your solar cars and pig flashlights! Shame on you doc! ;)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They make CHILDREN swim across the Pacific, towing cargo containers just so you can have your solar cars and pig flashlights! Shame on you doc! ;)

I have really considered how they do this. Clearly they are paying shipping, which should be at least $0.45 for a first class item in the US at the cheapest. I am guessing they have a deal with USPS where they can bring an entire plane full or cargo container of micro orders with tracking and customs information and just dump them into our system for delivery. I suspect there is a Chinese export portion of their government that handles the shipment from China to the US, though I am not entirely sure.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'd call around to other hardware stores in "the area".
    I could do that... if it wasn't for the fact that there really aren't any other hardware stores in my area. I do frequently pass through Indy on my way "back home" so was looking for a few suggestions around Indy that I could maybe call to see if they have them.

Not really machinable, way too small, 2.8 mm OD, IE, not much larger than a pencil lead, and even if it were, good luck finding a lathe that will thread at 47.85 tpi. 48 TPI? Sure, and they may work... assuming you can machine them without breaking that thin spaghetti of metal off...

I bet shipping will be cheaper than your time and gas trying to find them in Indiana.

I bought a solar car from China for $2.99 shipped. The Chinese have figured out international shipping. Time for us to do the same.

You can buy an LED pig flashlight with free shipping from China for $1.16.

Cheap Mini Pig 2 LEDs Flashlight White (3*AG3 Included)

Problem is, this is a British thread standard that hasn't really been used since the 70's (except on a few odd-ball items) and the screws can really only be located in the UK, Australia, etc and those countries HAVEN'T figured out the cheap shipping game... I've checked ebay and various places. Looks like I'm going to be out $10+ for THREE screws no matter where I order them from online. I found website that has some for $0.50/ea but they have a minimum order... Found a website that has them for $2 each with no minimum order... really just trying local before I pony up the $10+ to order them online...

Check Mc master Carr.... they have everything! !!!

They don't have British Association thread screws.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The only thing I can think of--and this is most likely a longshot at best--is Hedlund's Hardware on Indy's north side.

Address: 2369 Broad Ripple Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46220
    Phone:(317) 255-7278

Basically Keystone & Broad Ripple Ave.

Good luck!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Might try a #4x48, that should work unless the hole is really tight or there's a whole truckload of thread engagement.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Any chance you can drill it out and thread something more sane into it?
    I can, and I've considered it, but it will ruin the value... I may do it yet, I'm undecided right now. Just trying to be thorough...

Might try a #4x48, that should work unless the hole is really tight or there's a whole truckload of thread engagement.
    I tried a 4-48, but your suggestion combined with the above just gave me a good idea. If I tap it out to 4-48 it should retain the value (only .002" difference in major diameter) and the OEM screws should still work...

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I'd be careful chasing a 4-48 tap in there. It don't take much to rip threads that thin.

Mind if I ask what it is we are talking about?

Top Bottom