• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    NWI
    So, does anyone OC in Lake county, in the Hammond, Highland, Munster, Schererville area? I'm new to the area, just got my LTCH and was wondering because I don't see any OC activity when I'm out and about. Thanks for any info on places that are OC-friendly in the area.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Constantly, it is not as common as southern Indiana and be prepared to have someone eventually tell you that you can't. Just know the laws, your rights, and you will be fine. Welcome to ingo. OC for life :rockwoot:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I normally OC when I am not working or going to school. I've only been hassled once, that was at Krazy Kaplans' on Kennedy by the officer doing security. I've never had a problem at any other store or in public. Most people are just too blind to see it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    So, does anyone OC in Lake county, in the Hammond, Highland, Munster, Schererville area? I'm new to the area, just got my LTCH and was wondering because I don't see any OC activity when I'm out and about. Thanks for any info on places that are OC-friendly in the area.

I live in Munster. I OC all the time. In the colder months my coat is typically covering the sidearm when I am outside, but indoors the coat comes off. In the warmer weather there is no coat. I basically gave up on CCing a couple of years ago, just got tired of the extra layers in the warm weather. Joining INGO had a lot to do with my change of attitude toward OC. I have never had a negative encounter with LEOs. I was asked not to carry (OC or CC) while at Westfield Mall in Hobart last summer. We have to expect the negative encounters, and just be prepared for them.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Live in Hobart/ New Chicago... gf lives in Hammond. Was told by Pick N Pull not to carry there. Open carry at the Cavalier, Coaches Corner, and other bars without issue. Usually drink coke during those times. Cops have nodded to me in Ultra foods and met and had a great conversation with a county deputy in Hammond Wallyworld. Maybe theres a bad encounter coming but I have yet to have had one.

Keep gun laws and case findings stored in your phone for when you get some armchair lawyer telling you "how illegal" it is to carry "here". Always think of it as an opportunity to get someone to carry... an "open carry ambassador ". Don't you be a d-bag when you explain the law to them and we might just win another convert.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Keep gun laws and case findings stored in your phone for when you get some armchair lawyer telling you "how illegal" it is to carry "here". Always think of it as an opportunity to get someone to carry... an "open carry ambassador ". Don't you be a d-bag when you explain the law to them and we might just win another convert.

Have you ever "converted" someone?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I live in Munster...

Well, THERE'S your problem! :lmfao: :D :rofl:

I see a few guys around (haven't seen any women yet, but just a matter of time) OC'ing at Cabela's, Sophia's, etc.

I've been in places to eat where it was too warm for the jacket I had on (what's with having the thermostat set at 85 degrees when it's winter and everyone's wearing jackets!?), and taken my jacket off. Never an issue, or a look, or a 'sideways glance'.

No one's gonna notice. I even {gasp! :eek: } take my jacket off and OC in Dunkin' Donuts, with a whole buncha cops sitting right at the same table!

Do I get 'interrogated'? YES! I get comments like "Hey, cool holster, where'd ya get that?" or "Hey, what're ya carrying tonight?" or "Is that the new XXXX ya bought?" Spooky, hunh? :D

Here's the 'big secret' - DON'T be confrontational and stand up and shout "I got my RIGHTS!" and make a big scene, and you'll probably be fine.

We live between Chicago and Gary. NO amount of law-abiding civilians carrying is gonna outnumber the criminals carrying in this region. Hell, even if ya add in the LEO's and the National Guard Armory, we're STILL outgunned! :D

OR, avoid the issue altogether and CC. This isn't a rural area, even Cabela's and Bass Pro, and avoid looking like a 'cop wannabe'! :p :lmfao:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Well, THERE'S your problem! :lmfao: :D :rofl:

I see a few guys around (haven't seen any women yet, but just a matter of time) OC'ing at Cabela's, Sophia's, etc.

I've been in places to eat where it was too warm for the jacket I had on (what's with having the thermostat set at 85 degrees when it's winter and everyone's wearing jackets!?), and taken my jacket off. Never an issue, or a look, or a 'sideways glance'.

No one's gonna notice. I even {gasp! :eek: } take my jacket off and OC in Dunkin' Donuts, with a whole buncha cops sitting right at the same table!

Do I get 'interrogated'? YES! I get comments like "Hey, cool holster, where'd ya get that?" or "Hey, what're ya carrying tonight?" or "Is that the new XXXX ya bought?" Spooky, hunh? :D

Here's the 'big secret' - DON'T be confrontational and stand up and shout "I got my RIGHTS!" and make a big scene, and you'll probably be fine.

We live between Chicago and Gary. NO amount of law-abiding civilians carrying is gonna outnumber the criminals carrying in this region. Hell, even if ya add in the LEO's and the National Guard Armory, we're STILL outgunned! :D

OR, avoid the issue altogether and CC. This isn't a rural area, even Cabela's and Bass Pro, and avoid looking like a 'cop wannabe'! :p :lmfao:

What if someone were to ask you to cover it up ? :dunno:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have seen more then a couple OC around here, nothing has happened while ive been around to see anyway. Even OC'ing, most people usually never leave condition white to see anything else going around, or to notice the firearm out in the open.

Top Bottom