• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dswanso1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Fishers
    I have read many different posts and opinions on the hi-point handguns and just wanted to ask somebody that actually owns one what they think of it?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've got three of their handguns and one carbine.
    They are good, cheap guns.
    You'll see a lot of people talk down about them and the majority of those have never owned or shot one!
    They are not the best carry guns, they are bulky and heavy.
    They are great range toys. Good gun for a first timer without a lot of money, to learn with.
    Last, Hi-point has the BEST customer service in the industry!

Murzor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    I bought one at a local show last year, last hour of the last day so I got it cheap. I personally did not have any mechanical issues with it, after around 200 rounds. One issue I had was the general feel of the gun, it just felt like it was going to fall apart on me. The other issue was the slide weight compared to the frame. I had to compensate for the unbalanced weight or the nozzle would dive as I squeezed the trigger. I know polymer pistols will have unbalanced weight issues but this one was very pronounced. Hope this helps.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    My first handgun was a Hi-Point .380. When I got my next handgun the Hi-Point sat in the safe because it's a bit too bulky to carry. I NEVER had an issue with it and am still sorry to this day that I sold it. I heard through my brother (who sold it again) that I might be able to buy it back soon. I can't wait. I mean no purple here and I truly am excited to have that $100 workhorse back in a useful place. Maybe my truck, or under the porch. I'll still not carry it for its awkwardness and bulk but I can't wait to have it back.

-Dobber

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had to compensate for the unbalanced weight or the nozzle would dive as I squeezed the trigger.

:dunno: What part of the gun is the nozzle?

A nozzle is a device designed to control the direction or characteristics of a fluid flow (especially to increase velocity) as it exits (or enters) an enclosed chamber or pipe.

No offense intended I just wanted to feel what it is like to be "that guy" for once.

OneEye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Nashville, IN
    I own a .45 hi point. its not a carry gun by all means but its a good range toy. It's very heavy but goes bang every time. Customer service is decent and usually if you send it in for repair i've heard that they usually through in a couple of mags on the return shipment for free. Ive never had to send mine in but one of my friends sent i his carbine and another sent in his 9mm and they both had quick return and free mags. All in all they are cheap, heavy and get the job done for plinking.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I bought one as a training pistol to teach with. Its heavy, its bulky, the trigger is gritty and craptastic, the sights are marginal, the grip is too smooth and feels clunky, the safety is too small, and its ugly.

That said, it was also very reliable and it was cheap. For the money, I don't think you can do better. If you have more to spend, though, you can do a lot better.

I also had a carbine for a barn gun. Also very reliable, and also pretty accurate. The main thing that keeps it from being a serious carbine is the tiny single stack mags and the lack of any discernible funnel to help with reloads. Clinton era design, when 10 rounders were the limit.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I bought a carbine used once and it was not reliable so I took it apart and found the firing pin assembly was missing a spring and the pin was bent.I called Hipoint and they said it was all under warranty. Two days later I got the parts in the mail,put it back together and it ran flawlessly after that.If the handguns are anything like the carbines you cant go wrong in my opinion.Great company and service dept. to deal with even when buying second hand.

marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I got a HI POINT .380 I carry it everyday and everywhere. It is a bit heavy but i have gotten used to it so it does not bother me one bit. It is a very reliable and function's very nice. I was able to site it in with less then 10 round's and it is fun to shoot. I'm not sure why people talk it down so much,mainly because of it's price i believe. I purchased this weapon as a entry level to become accustomed to carry concealed with out much expense and i'm not sorry.

The world is full of zombie's,some not so dead yet......

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I bought one at a local show last year, last hour of the last day so I got it cheap. I personally did not have any mechanical issues with it, after around 200 rounds. One issue I had was the general feel of the gun, it just felt like it was going to fall apart on me. The other issue was the slide weight compared to the frame. I had to compensate for the unbalanced weight or the nozzle would dive as I squeezed the trigger. I know polymer pistols will have unbalanced weight issues but this one was very pronounced. Hope this helps.

He called the barrel a nozzle.:laugh:

Edarotag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    I have yet to purchase a handgun. I know that the first rule of a gun fight is bring a gun... So if I had to have one and could only afford a hi-point, I'd have one.

I've had to convince myself on more than one occasion to sit down and search for reviews... After watching an hour or two of reviews, I've put my $200 back in my mattress and hope its still there come payday so I can get something better.. If I already had a collection, I'd get one to try it myself, but I will not get one as my first pistol.

However, I hear they have fabulous nozzles and handles. :-)

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    my first handgun was my FIL .357 S&W. a couple of years later, my wife bought me a new highpoint c9. I really didn't like it. keep it in the gun cabinet for 2 or 3 years and never shot it. then my youngest son, about 16 at the time, wanted to shoot 1 of my pistols, so I took him and the highpoint to the range. I shot it first, to make sure it would shoot right. then he shot it. we both loved the way it shot. it is a bit heavy, but that just helps with recoil. im not ashamed to say I own one. I have other, more expensive handguns, but I always take the c9 when I go shooting. its just a real accurate, fun little shooter. my EDC weapon is an XDs in.45 acp. but I still like to shoot the cheap gun.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm sure they are as good a pistol could be given the price, and I certainly wouldn't look down on someone if that's all they could afford. As long as it goes BANG when it counts the most. I've never handled or fired one so I cannot personally attest to their quality or reliability. I've only seen a couple of them under the glass counter. The only solid opinion I can offer based on that alone is that they are just simply BUTT UGLY. Then again that's my opinion of the Luger (among other pistols) as well.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've had a c9 for about 10 years or so. It shoots great. A little bulky but I can still carry it if I feel like it. I'll never get rid of it. Not that it matters but You used to be able to pay like $10 more and get a plastic case with it. I'm pretty sure they only come in cardboard boxes now.

Top Bottom