• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    i have been in talks with a friend of mine from LA, in regards to opening a restaurant/tavern of sorts. before we get too far into things, i was hoping someone woudl be willing to chat about things related to owning/operating such an establishment in indiana.

specifically, initial capital, liquor licensing, necessary licensing for food, etc. etc.

as of now it is all in the "is this possible" phase - but given his experience, and that my fiance has been in the food service industry for her whole life, i think it may be do-able.

any links or input you guys coudl share woudl be greatly appreciated - and yes, there will be a "firearms welcome" sign on the door, should this ever come to fruition. :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hard to do but clearly not impossible. You should manage one before owning one :twocents:

I own the domain name to the bar I want to open :):

Last edited:

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I was the Senior Vice Commander at a VFW which had an open-to-public bar.... I know, completely against what the VFW stands for, but it was what it was. Bars don't tend to work out with all the happy time and overflowing pots of cash like people tend to think. That was up in Chicago's Southland....

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Partnerships with longevity are not common, is the first thing the parties need to understand. Without out clearly defined roles and rules from the onset get ready for a stress filled life. That means a legal written partnership agreement or no go.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's a tough business to get in and be successful. I worked in the restaurant business for about 15 years, and some of that time was spent in some small "mom and pop" type places. I thought they were great - good food, nice facilities, etc., yet they didn't make it. I don't know what the "recipe" for success is, but I do know that it's a lot of work and long hours to make a go of it. I suppose the safest way is to buy an already-established place and take it over, but there are probably costs associated with that as compared to opening up a brand new place. The advantage is that they will have an established clientele, and as long as you maintain the status quo (at least at first), you'll already have somewhat of a customer base.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Unless you have unlimited money and the desire to work 80 hours a week, i'd avoid the restaurant business.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'd buy a liquor store instead.........them guys make the bank! You know you are doing good when you can pay $450,000 for a permit only in Brownsburg, or you pay $95,000 in Danville.............TO NOT USE THE PERMIT. My buddy paid that just to keep competition from coming in town. Big money in booze.....

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Employees are probably the biggest risk. Theft of time, money and supplies are rampant.

You need to plan to move into the place and live there 18 hrs per day 7 days a week to have any shot at success.

You need to learn portion control. IE: food cost control. It will make you or break you.

You should work in one for a year before even thinking about it.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    well my fiance has worked in the industry for years, and my buddy who would be partnering with us has been runnign his own place in LA for a few years now. its all in the "theory" stage right now. just trying to figure out estimated capital, best location, etc.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    And, 60 to 90 hours a week.

You betchya!

409545424.jpg

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    If you can't stomach loosing 10% right off the top to theft, then don't get in. Food cost right about now is averaging 42 to 47 percent. Get a couple of back issues from Restaurant News, it's a good trade journal full of usefull insight.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The biggest issue my parents have (Greasy spoon / small town restaurant only open for breakfast and lunch) is keeping "good help". This also applies to the convenience store to which it's a part of.

If it weren't for their regulars - I don't think they could afford to have the restaurant at all.

-J-

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Good restaurant help isn't hard to find as long as you pay a fair wage ($10-12/hr) and don't do background checks. Ex-cons have been some of my best employees in the past. Especially ones on work release or home detention because you know they're coming to work every day.

Bar help is a bit trickier. Don't automatically go for the hot chicks.

OP, if you've never been in restaurant/bar management I'd think twice before jumping in. It can be done but the deck is stacked against you. Don't take out any loans using your own property as collateral. Take some courses at ivy tech (food safety and sanitation, hospitality management, etc). Your labor is essentially free, realize that up front. Don't give food/drink away to your buddies.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I have both friends and close family that are in the Tavern Biz.

I wouldn't do it. As others have said, 100 hour work weeks, hard to find any help worth keeping, theft is a constant, partners will definitely become ex friends (seen this happen with two that were childhood friends, and you would have thought inseparable prior) and the hours suck.

Cheers was a TV show, and Sam was an actor. You will never live that life.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom