Anybody shooting suppressed coated cast bullets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BP84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2024
    Sunman
    I would assume this is a bad idea except in a serviceable can. Is anybody here shooting coated bullets suppressed either powder coated or hi-tek?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I’ve shot some of Hoosier Bullets 220gr hi tek coated bullets in my can. I’ve only shot about 100 so far but haven’t had issues that I’m aware of. I’m shooting mine through a YHM R2 which isn’t serviceable. Running about 1000fps in a 300BLK

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I have shot coated 9mm subs and coated 300 blk with no issues. I do notice a little residue in the blast chamber but it scrapes out kind of like lead but not as bad. Lead build up in a can is very difficult to remove. I use CLR for all the carbon. The only thing for excessive lead build up that might work is very high heat but don't know how well that would work once the lead starts melting.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Chiming in.... why would that be a bad idea? I have personal experience with plated, Hi-tek, coated and Alox. It's not the bullet, its the powder (and more so, the loader and their knowledge of loading). All these bullets are fine through a suppressor.

There are solutions you can soak your suppressor in to dissolve funk if you're worried about it. A good soak in Purple Power is a cheap and easy cleaner. Go to MidwayUSA if you want an expensive alternative.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Chiming in.... why would that be a bad idea? I have personal experience with plated, Hi-tek, coated and Alox. It's not the bullet, its the powder (and more so, the loader and their knowledge of loading). All these bullets are fine through a suppressor.

There are solutions you can soak your suppressor in to dissolve funk if you're worried about it. A good soak in Purple Power is a cheap and easy cleaner. Go to MidwayUSA if you want an expensive alternative.
    I agree! Coated bullets are designed to have a barrier between the lead and rifling. I have shot MANY coated bullets and have found them in the backstop. Even when they deform, the coating does not crack. It just displaces around the lead. I load coated bullets to keep my barrels from leading up. I can shoot 500 rounds of any coated bullet and have a very clean barrel. Like Azerigan said, if you choose the right powder and charge, there should be zero issues.

BP84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2024
    Sunman

Does this include powder coated bullets. I cast lead for a few calibers then powder coat them and bake them.

Top Bottom