• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Rural King has a really good sale going on the Summit Viper SD right now...$199.

I've never used a climber, always ladder stands...but I've got a couple areas where I think a climber would be advantageous to a ladder stand. Looking for experiences from anybody that uses one; I'd use it for crossbow and rifle.

Thanks!

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've got one and really like it, it's very comfortable over an extended hunt, the front arm rest is great for taking a steady shot with either my crossbow or rifle. I would bet you'd be real happy with it, $200 is a very good price, I paid $275 for mine.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've had one for several years and I really like it. I paid a lot more for mine when I bought it. I feel pretty secure when I'm sitting in it and it is comfortable.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Get a set of stabilizer straps. You can order them from third hand archery for $20, or go down to a craft store and pick up some webbing and buckles and make your own for $10. Leave them loose while climbing and they keep your bottom attached to the top so you don't get stuck if the platform falls, cinch them tight when you are done climbing and they lock your stand in place, it will be rock solid and feel like a one piece stand, and after your done and pack your stand, wrap them around and cinch them tight and they will hold your stand tight together while hiking in and out with no rattles. It will be the best thing you do to a climbing stand..... Also, if you take a few feet of webbing and tie each end to opposite sides of the shooting rail, you can slip your feet into the loop it makes and stretch your legs out, makes the most comfortable foot rest you'll use.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    That is hands down my favorite stand. Stable, fast, comfortable, and portable. I chose it over my ladder stands every time. Ladder stands scare the crap out of me durring the set up and take down phase when they aren't really attached to the tree and you have to climb to the top to secure them. I had to use one this year because I am taking my daughter out with me into a two man stand. The entire time I was nervous and white knuckled until I got the top strap sinched up.

The other cool part about the climber is if you are in a spot in the morning and notice they are moving someplace else you just climb down grab lunch and climb up a different tree.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Thumbs up on the Summit Viper! I've been using one for two years now and it's my absolute favorite way to hunt. I have several ladder stands and a blind, all of which I've successfully hunted from, but the summit trumps them all. Among its advantages are comfort, stealth, and mobility. By stealth, I mean the ability to get higher than a typical ladder stand which seems to be a critical factor in remaining unseen by the deer. I can't tell you how many times I've been busted by a deer while in a ladder stand for any movement. Yet somehow, at a height of maybe 20 ft in the climber I can damn near perform a pom-pom cheer and not be seen. I will say that the first few times I tried to use it, it scared the bejeebers out of me. Now I feel completely comfortable going up and down a tree. If your health and physical fitness are adequate I think a climber, like the Summit Viper, is an excellent method of hunting.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Gander mountain in Lafayette just clearance off last years summit viper sd. I was in line with two other guys buying them for 149$ each, 160$ after tax. Not bad for a stand I've been eyeballing since last year when they did the same thing and I missed that sale.

lovetheoutdoors

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    Columbus
    I love mine, the only con I have is the paint flakes off easily. Not to big of a deal to repaint it after the season. I do highly recommend some top and bottom connection. Please do us all a big favor and use a harness once your climbing till you get back down :yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom