• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I saw a video of Ray Mears using waterstones in various grits the other day and it seemed to be a good system I'd like to try.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Never have used them. My dad swears by them. I remember last time I was at their place for dinner dad was using a knife I would have tossed 20 years ago it has been sharpened so many times it is starting to look like a filet knife.

He has taken some of the cheap Chinese junk knives I have bought over the years as beater knives and made them so sharp you could shave with them. They don't hold an edge long but man can he sharpen a knife.

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    I still use the old style water stones for our neck knives at work. They always come through when needed. I have all the fancy angle stones and such at home but I work with what is provided.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Tyler, those seem to max out at 2000 grit at the high end, is that right? I was looking for something a bit finer.

What do you think about this set:

Water Stone Kit

yes but they take no water so you can take them anywhere, plus search around and plenty of people can whittle hairs after using these stones. but if you want finer then yeah that set looks fine.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Just wondering..... I was a tool maker for many years, and had occasion to sharpen many different tools for many different applications. I sharpen my own tools/knives/axes, using a variety of files, stones, (natural, diamond, and ceramic). That being said, I'm a far cry from an expert on much of anything, but is there a "standard" for sharpness, or is the sharpness of anything pretty much subjective, as in "yep, that's perfect" ?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Just wondering..... I was a tool maker for many years, and had occasion to sharpen many different tools for many different applications. I sharpen my own tools/knives/axes, using a variety of files, stones, (natural, diamond, and ceramic). That being said, I'm a far cry from an expert on much of anything, but is there a "standard" for sharpness, or is the sharpness of anything pretty much subjective, as in "yep, that's perfect" ?

there are standards but they are mostly a singular persons therefore not really standard. . any "real" standard usually involves a microscope. my standard is tyler sharp and has been looked at under a microscope, but only for checking burrs.:):

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I like to be able to EASILY shave the hair on my arm or leg without any slicing motion. I like it when I can get the blade to shave just from the weight of the knife scraping against my hair. The hair sort of just pops or leaps off when it gets cut at this sharpness.

That's my ideal. Unfortunately, some grinds/metals I can't get that sharp. Thus, my quest for something better than what I have.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have gone to the Spyderco Tri Angle set almost exclusively. For most of my knives just a few passes at the end of the day followed by a stropping returns them to hair whittling sharpness if they were used much during the day. I do use the steels if an edge is chipped or a bevel needs worked. I also have some Arkansas stone so that so hard they are translucent, these work well for smoothing and polishing rough edges.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Bringing this up again--After some more research, I've decided to give these waterstones a shot.

A local store sells Norton and King brands. Which is better (if anyone has an opinion?)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    tell you what I like way more than waterstones for ease of use is the flat syderco stones because they need no water.

Buy Spyderco Bench Stone Set, 2"x 8" at Woodcraft.com
    In terms of larger stones, I have only used wet stones all my life, but that set looks like a winner. A good way to start a young person so they never need wet stones.

There are issues after using stones for a long time in terms of wear and tear, uneven surfaces and of course the mess. Traveling with them is a bit of a pain. I keep a dedicated kit for knife travel on fishing and hunting trips.

Great suggestion on that kit. I want one!

Top Bottom