• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My description must not have been clear based on some replies. The alarm sounds when the key is turned on - and the motor is NOT running - as well as when the motor is started and running.

Therefore, it can’t be an engine overheat problem caused by impeller failure.

I finally was able to Google a partial answer I believe. There is a low oil sensor in the oil tank (remember it’s a 2 cycle oil injection motor). When the tank is low on oil the sensor is supposed to transmit a signal to the alarm. I disconnected one of the two wires coming out of the oil tank and the alarm quit going off. ( Remember, this is WITHOUT the motor running.). Now to determine if the tank sensor is bad, the alarm is bad, or there is a short somewhere.

I don’t have a solution yet, but I have narrowed it down and hopefully will find the specific issue. Once again, thanks for all the comments so far.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    My description must not have been clear based on some replies. The alarm sounds when the key is turned on - and the motor is NOT running - as well as when the motor is started and running.

Therefore, it can’t be an engine overheat problem caused by impeller failure.

I finally was able to Google a partial answer I believe. There is a low oil sensor in the oil tank (remember it’s a 2 cycle oil injection motor). When the tank is low on oil the sensor is supposed to transmit a signal to the alarm. I disconnected one of the two wires coming out of the oil tank and the alarm quit going off. ( Remember, this is WITHOUT the motor running.). Now to determine if the tank sensor is bad, the alarm is bad, or there is a short somewhere.

I don’t have a solution yet, but I have narrowed it down and hopefully will find the specific issue. Once again, thanks for all the comments so far.

My dad just had this fixed on his 50hp oil injected Mercury. Seems to be a VERY common problem. It has a float type sensor in the tank and they get gummed up and stuck. Fix is to replace the tank and to never let the oil lever get below half.

Top Bottom