Anyone adding livestock trying to avoid food shortages this year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    That point is often overlooked. A farmer can spread vet costs over a larger number of animals and may well be able to take care of things themselves. A person raising one animal is playing the vet lottery.

However the topic is raising your own because of shortages…
    Very true, not to mention a lot of people are net set up to deal with Large Livestock fatalities.
    On paper it might seem enticing, but there is a lot that has to be considered in the background.

For most it may be better to barter goods and services with those experienced in livestock rearing.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I'm sorry several people found offense in my post. I worked with a lot of Amish and when I told them, they thought it was very funny and hoped they would find out who got all the free dinners.
    For me I wouldn’t find it amusing by any means. Many people do not realize the amount of hard work that goes into maintaining bio security.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I'm sorry several people found offense in my post. I worked with a lot of Amish and when I told them, they thought it was very funny and hoped they would find out who got all the free dinners.
    Offended…. No. a lot of people find a lot of stupid things funny them being amish doesn’t make a difference. funny until their flock gets a disease from your dumped roosters. Also pretty cruel / cowardly. Instead of butchering them yourself you passed the burden along. No different than taking your elderly dog and dropping it in the woods to avoid bills or tough decisions.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Offended…. No. a lot of people find a lot of stupid things funny them being amish doesn’t make a difference. funny until their flock gets a disease from your dumped roosters. Also pretty cruel / cowardly. Instead of butchering them yourself you passed the burden along. No different than taking your elderly dog and dropping it in the woods to avoid bills or tough decisions.
    whatever

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Very well stated. We recently lost our St Bernard mix after 12 years, Yes12 years old when he passed. Unfortunately he was having seizures and the vet said he was just going to suffer and we were lucky to have him as long as we did.

long story short he died in the back of my suv with the family around him, the Vet later had him cremated. Yeah very difficult decision and $250 for services rendered.

After that long story short your best friend deserves dignity in death.

But like you said there are those that would just dump off an elderly dog and walk away.

kind of like dumping you unwanted fowl off at someone’s else’s place because you are too big of an ***hat to do the right thing, then wonder why people do not appreciate your actions!

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I'm not sure if raising livestock this year is a winning formula, unless you have the type of land that provides a significant portion of their feed.

I grew up on a farm and had some participation in various livestock production. I was also a large animal vet for a few years. Now we own some rural land but don't do much actual farming ourselves.

Livestock carries risk, including disease and feed expense. Feed costs will be as unpredictable this year as your own groceries are so if you get livestock think about a plan B.

I currently just have laying hens and Muscovy ducks. The Muscovies are actually VERY feed efficient, nearly feed themselves 8 months out of the year, and are excellent meat. But they are messy and they can fly short distances unless you clip their wings. If you don't have a place for them to forage, they'll make such a mess of the pen that they will be constant work and they will have foot problems. If you let them forage, you need to have livestock guardian dogs or just get lucky that nothing kills them.

Chickens are not as efficient with feed and I buy some food for them even in the summer. I do have some ability to sprout grains for them and such in the winter but if food became super expensive the more practical option would be to butcher most of them.

The longer the time to go from birth to meat, the higher the risk. If you get feeder hogs, you only risk this one season. If you get young cattle, you have to feed them through winter before you know if you came out ahead. It's typically a multi-year process to make money, not necessarily each year.

Another option is to look for farmers selling co-op shares. You still take some risk if they go broke, but you aren't also paying for fences, vet bills, or taking the risk of skyrocketing feeding costs.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Our chickens lay all winter with and without supplemental lighting.
    Are these young chickens? Heavy-laying breeds often lay through winter their first year or two, but not usually after that unless you use light.

I let my hens live out their life but commercial producers butcher hens at a young age. I would have to do the same if the eggs were meant to be profitable. As it is, I like the nutritional quality of eggs from foraging hens and it's hardly worth butchering to get a stewing hen. My attitude might change though if both meat and livestock feed keep going up.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I'm not sure if raising livestock this year is a winning formula, unless you have the type of land that provides a significant portion of their feed.

I grew up on a farm and had some participation in various livestock production. I was also a large animal vet for a few years. Now we own some rural land but don't do much actual farming ourselves.

Livestock carries risk, including disease and feed expense. Feed costs will be as unpredictable this year as your own groceries are so if you get livestock think about a plan B.

I currently just have laying hens and Muscovy ducks. The Muscovies are actually VERY feed efficient, nearly feed themselves 8 months out of the year, and are excellent meat. But they are messy and they can fly short distances unless you clip their wings. If you don't have a place for them to forage, they'll make such a mess of the pen that they will be constant work and they will have foot problems. If you let them forage, you need to have livestock guardian dogs or just get lucky that nothing kills them.

Chickens are not as efficient with feed and I buy some food for them even in the summer. I do have some ability to sprout grains for them and such in the winter but if food became super expensive the more practical option would be to butcher most of them.

The longer the time to go from birth to meat, the higher the risk. If you get feeder hogs, you only risk this one season. If you get young cattle, you have to feed them through winter before you know if you came out ahead. It's typically a multi-year process to make money, not necessarily each year.

Another option is to look for farmers selling co-op shares. You still take some risk if they go broke, but you aren't also paying for fences, vet bills, or taking the risk of skyrocketing feeding costs.
    Either way you’re out the money if feed rises you are going to pay more in the grocery store. Raising your own just cuts out the middle man.

and yes there is risk…. Raising your own but there is risk NOT raising your own also like empty shelves

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Either way you’re out the money if feed rises you are going to pay more in the grocery store. Raising your own just cuts out the middle man.

and yes there is risk…. Raising your own but there is risk NOT raising your own also like empty shelves
    Hmm... assuming you also put meat in the freezer now and store other food, then it would be spreading out your risk. However, if you end up losing the animal(s), you also lose everything you put in infrastructure and feed cost. Sharing the risk with someone who already has the infrastructure and can raise some of the feed is much less financially risky, and also might benefit from the knowledge of an experienced producer.

I really like to see more of us participating in raising our food but would lean towards starting with low-cost animals.

Another way to partner with farmers, if you have a few acres, is to see if you can help produce feed for their animals. You can rent some ground for hay. There are even goat farmers whose goats are trained to electric fence and they will graze your scrubby area as a benefit to both.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Hmm... assuming you also put meat in the freezer now and store other food, then it would be spreading out your risk. However, if you end up losing the animal(s), you also lose everything you put in infrastructure and feed cost. Sharing the risk with someone who already has the infrastructure and can raise some of the feed is much less financially risky, and also might benefit from the knowledge of an experienced producer.

But you can also buy feed now before prices increase. And I know it happens but losing an animal after it is weaned is very rare (at my farm) the highest mortality comes in the first months. So buying feeders or grow outs will greatly reduce that risk.
    I really like to see more of us participating in raising our food but would lean towards starting with low-cost animals.

Definitely agree do not jump in from no animals to cows lol rabbits chickens quail etc is a good starting point.
    Another way to partner with farmers, if you have a few acres, is to see if you can help produce feed for their animals. You can rent some ground for hay. There are even goat farmers whose goats are trained to electric fence and they will graze your scrubby area as a benefit to both.

Not trying to argue with you we agree on most points just pointing out the other side of things too. I too want to see more people raising their own food. Healthier, sustainable, more humane etc

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    But you can also buy feed now before prices increase. And I know it happens but losing an animal after it is weaned is very rare (at my farm) the highest mortality comes in the first months. So buying feeders or grow outs will greatly reduce that risk.

Definitely agree do not jump in from no animals to cows lol rabbits chickens quail etc is a good starting point.

Not trying to argue with you we agree on most points just pointing out the other side of things too. I too want to see more people raising their own food. Healthier, sustainable, more humane etc
    Yes! Good discussion and I like to see people involved in raising their own food. I probably am biased from seeing the downside of it as a large animal vet. I've also seen a lot of friends jump into it then ask me only later, after they are surprised how much money they lost.

I don't make money on my chickens unless I were to put a serious effort into marketing the eggs. I raise them to have the nutrition of pasture-raised eggs and to have food options during emergencies. So I get that it can be a "win" even if it's not cost effective.

Specific question for you: how would you recommend someone store livestock feed for a few months without serious spoilage or rodent infestation? Let's assume this person has buildings but currently does not own any containers specific for feed storage. Just to pick a couple of examples:
    -buying 2 young hogs to feed to market
    -buying young chickens and wanting to store enough feed for them through next winter?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Yes! Good discussion and I like to see people involved in raising their own food. I probably am biased from seeing the downside of it as a large animal vet. I've also seen a lot of friends jump into it then ask me only later, after they are surprised how much money they lost.

I don't make money on my chickens unless I were to put a serious effort into marketing the eggs. I raise them to have the nutrition of pasture-raised eggs and to have food options during emergencies. So I get that it can be a "win" even if it's not cost effective.

Specific question for you: how would you recommend someone store livestock feed for a few months without serious spoilage or rodent infestation? Let's assume this person has buildings but currently does not own any containers specific for feed storage. Just to pick a couple of examples:
    -buying young chickens and wanting to store enough feed for them through next winter?
    Grain storage long term will be an issue. With chickens it often is not cost effective to raise them as they have little to no ability to be self sustaining. Many people around here are dedicating areas of the land to grow their own feed to offset the soaring prices to come. We are very fortunate in that we only need to feed hay for a very short period of time, after that they will forage and not need any additional feed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As it is, I like the nutritional quality of eggs from foraging hens and it's hardly worth butchering to get a stewing hen. My attitude might change though if both meat and livestock feed keep going up.
    I love getting stewing hens, but I hate the price when I can find them. When you get some that have outlived their laying life, shoot me a price. Seriously.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012

I use 55g food grade drums to store feed and I WAS getting from a local food mill but they have since fled the commy rule of IL (leaving behind thier 3rd generation family farm sad stuff) I have never had an issue with moisture storing this way. We will see now that I am switching feeds hopefully I don’t run into issues. I have stored feed for well over 8-9months what that does nutrionally I do not know but the animals did not complain.

Feeding your standard pigs is a chore to store enough feed because they consume SO much so my recommendation would be looking into pigs like I have (kune kunes) to drastically reduce inputs and in the summer months complete eliminate inputs besides a decent grass pasture.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Grain storage long term will be an issue. With chickens it often is not cost effective to raise them as they have little to no ability to be self sustaining. Many people around here are dedicating areas of the land to grow their own feed to offset the soaring prices to come. We are very fortunate in that we only need to feed hay for a very short period of time, after that they will forage and not need any additional feed.

My chickens practically raise themselves besides the dead of winter they hardly get any feed dedicated to them, they forage and clean up everyone else’s.

Top Bottom