• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Applications for gun permits must be made in person. Please bring the initial $10 application fee with you. Cash, checks and money orders made payable to the City of Bloomington are accepted. You will also need to bring photo identification. All Indiana University students are required to bring a letter of clearance from the IU Police, 801 N Jordan Avenue, before the application will be accepted.

I found this on the Bloomington PD web page. I see no basis in law for it. Has anyone here been subjected to this requirement?

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I agree. ********.

How are they going to know that you are a student? I guess they would if you live on campus.

Thats just.....I dunno what word to use now.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Why are they calling them "Permits" when they are Licenses?
    Being a student should not require you to jump through any extra hoops. I checked the websites and could find nothing about the "letter of clearance" all I found was this:
    Are firearms allowed on campus?

Firearms are not allowed on campus unless you have received written permission from the Chief of Police. Firearms may be transported to the IMU Firing Range for use at the range. Violation of this University Policy will result in application of any relevant criminal penalties as well as University sanctions up to expulsion.​

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    As 465 mentioned that sounds like complete BS. If you don't show your student ID how are they going to know you are a student.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Could may be a comment for those who have an out of state DL license, but reside here during the school year? Or those who live in campus housing and have that address on their DL?

Otherwise it makes no sense...

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    yup, I had to do it. Not really sure what it did, just had to wait a day to get a letter that I had to give to the Bloomington Police Dept.

IMO it's wrong, and the fact is that Indiana is "Shall Issue" but i went with just do what they ask and be done with it :)

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Any constitutional law experts in here? It doesn't seem like that would be "equal protection under the law", if a resident has to jump through extra hoops just because of where they choose to enroll in school.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    yup, I had to do it. Not really sure what it did, just had to wait a day to get a letter that I had to give to the Bloomington Police Dept.

IMO it's wrong, and the fact is that Indiana is "Shall Issue" but i went with just do what they ask and be done with it :)

Did you happen to scan it/photocopy it? I'd love to see what that said. I'm a grad student but live outside city limits so I dealt with the county. Student/non-student issue never came up with them.:dunno:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Nope, didnt make a photocopy. The letter was 3 lines IIRC that said something to the effect of "I ......, The IUPD Police Chief Certify that This person is in good standing with Indiana University and has no criminal convictions or warrants."

So it was basically another Background check...

Top Bottom