Anyone bought a fake coin on auction site?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    I bought a 1903 silver coin on ***y. It was 'toned',vf,anyway looked great,had a nice bluish tone to it,and I happened to drop it on our table, instead of the definite ring of silver,all was heard was clunk. I was in disbelief. I have several friends who also collect and was showing them one said why is this coming off,the toning was coming right off on his finger,contacted the seller and was like 'no problem,send it back,I'll ok the refund,but the coin is authentic'.So sent it back and days later was being called a moron by the seller and how I have no business buying coins and why did I clean it?'.I eventually rec'd the money back,but still bothers me I was totally unaccusing on seller selling bunk coins,just figured someone sold it to him as real. I did a quick search and seen quite a few articles on this since the price of silver went so high.This wasnt a key date or anything particularly special so it never even crossed my mind it might not be authentic.Seller was 100% positive feedback. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Ebay is riddled with fakes of all kinds. But there are known fake coins and bullion and bars circulating on ebay.

For items that have value, it is best to buy in person.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    There is a HUGE cottage industry in China producing counterfeit coins and bullion. Chinese counterfeiting laws only prevent them from copying CHINESE coins. I have seen poor quality, all the way up to superb die struck copies. So, buyer beware.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Counterfeit coin, let's say a quarter dollar. Sell it on e-Bay for, say $4... x 100,000.

Not much doubt as to the 'motivation' in doing so, is there? :scratch:

Glad to hear the OP at least received a refund. Beginning to think MOST of the 'collector's' and 'vintage' items now sold on e-Bay are some form of counterfeit. Whaddya gonna do, sue 'em? In China, or Nigeria?

IMO, e-Bay REALLY needs to crack down on these scams, or e-Bay is going to find itself going the way of Radio Shack, and the dodo...

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    IMO, e-Bay REALLY needs to crack down on these scams, or e-Bay is going to find itself going the way of Radio Shack, and the dodo...

eBay will NEVER take an active role in weeding out the fakes. Doing so puts the legal onus on them, and they don't want to deal with the responsibility of monitoring 800M or so auctions AT ONCE. Come to think of it, I don't even think it's possible.

They do need to do better when informed of problems. For some years, I collected rare currency. Several sellers offered copies of such notes, but the copies violated Federal law (copies must be either 125% or 75% the size of the original; one-sided copy only; have "COPY" printed somewhere conspicuous). When eBay failed to take action, I contacted the SF office of the Secret Service, asking them to have a talk with eBay execs about such Fed laws. Finally took a few months, but the COPY sellers now seem to be toeing the line.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Top Bottom