• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been looking at this as a possibility.

I've been told .50 Beowulf round uses the same BCG AND bolt as the standard .223/5.56, as well as the same magazine. Single stack 8 rounds in a 5.56 20 round mag.

All of this sounds pretty good, ESPECIALLY since the .50 Beowulf does NOT need to be hand loaded to afford them.

My big question is concerning the ejection port. I was told you need to "open up" the ejection port due to the massive cases used by the Beowulf.
    How hard is it to "open up" a receiver? Are we talking dremel work? Something I can accomplish, or should I just break down and buy another upper? Alexander Arms offers this caliber.

Advice anyone?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've been looking at this as a possibility.

I've been told .50 Beowulf round uses the same BCG AND bolt as the standard .223/5.56, as well as the same magazine.

Bolt carrier is the same, the bolt isn't.

7.62x39/PPC bolt face, AA uses a proprietary bolt that is .011" off from standard 7.62x39 bolts.

If your chamber is cut for a "standard" 7.62x39 bolt, you could use one.

Satern sells barrels - but for what they are selling them for, with the other component prices it approaches the cost of just buying the upper from AA/Cabela's.

Arguably a "better" barrel than AA offers. Although, I'm unaware of anybody else "licensed" to build them (Edited, see Midway below).

PRICES OF CUSTOM BARRELS

AR-Stoner AR-15 Barrel and Bolt 50 Beowulf 1 in 20" Twist 18" Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA

All of this sounds pretty good, ESPECIALLY since the .50 Beowulf does NOT need to be hand loaded to afford them.

Loaded ammunition is cheaper than 458 SOCOM, but like the 458 SOCOM - there is only one source of brass - and supply can be spotty.

Both cartridges are potentially one natural or personal disaster away from being obsolete. If you are going to buy either, spend some money on a good supply of brass.

My big question is concerning the ejection port. I was told you need to "open up" the ejection port due to the massive cases used by the Beowulf.
    How hard is it to "open up" a receiver? Are we talking dremel work?

You could do it with a Dremel, will probably look like hell.

Needs to be opened up +/- .050" on the bottom of the port. 5 minutes in a mill.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    .50 Beowulf
    . . .
    Advice anyone?
    I looked and decided it was not the right choice. Much as I wanted the short 50 caliber it is not legal here in Indiana for deer hunting so I opted for a round that was a bit more practical and went with a 458 Socom. Very similar ballistics. But it will bust up watermelons like the baddest Beowulf and it can go out in the field to bring home deer sausage too.

Just something to consider.

Loaded ammunition is cheaper than 458 SOCOM, but like the 458 SOCOM - there is only one source of brass - and supply can be spotty.

Both cartridges are potentially one natural or personal disaster away from being obsolete. If you are going to buy either, spend some money on a good supply of brass.

I don't have enough 458 loaded ammo or empty brass and you do make a good point about these cartridges becoming next to impossible source. I'd like to pick up at least 250 empty 458 cases, just haven't bothered to get it done yet because I've been busy.

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    I have a .50 Beowulf and about 4 stickies in the reloading section on them ( www.50beowulf.com ) just do a search under my name (linkpimp)..

It’s a GREAT rifle, if you reload.. if you don't!. then don't get it.. you’ll never find ammo and when you do It will cost you an arm and leg.. if you shoot me a PM I’ll send you a PDF I did that includes over 100 custom loads and covers more than 40 different bullets and about 15 different powders..

Personally I love shooting the 500 and 600gr loads..

You’ll also need a muzzle break for it too.. Look at King Armory for this..

This is not a long range rifle (if you didn’t know it) this is a under 200 yard vehicle stopper.. 100 and closer it will stop anything dead in it tracks..

Have fun and good luck in your new project

Link..

Here’s what mine looks like..

That’s a .50 BMG brake

IMG_5999.jpg

Here’s an example of some of the bullets you can find for it.. 330-600gr

IMG_5450.jpg

Last edited:

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I am gearing up to build a 50 Beowulf, looking for a barrel and read Lothar Walther made barrels.

I emailed them and found out in Jan 2011 they plan on releasing a 50 CSS the same as the 50 Beowulf. They were the orignal mfg for Alexander Arms.

Don't know the company politics, but they quote a stainless barrel, extension and bolt face for $350, with regular barrels available also.

I guess the mid length setups will not be available at first, and the muzzle threading will not be the same as AA, but a more common thread so more options can be used.

Also they plan on releasing a brake of their own at the same time.

For what is worth, I will wait a month and see what they offer.

I want to build this with my own hands, or at least assemble it, I wish AA offered just barrels but haven't found anything on their site about it.

Lothar Walther

Any input, opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
    Top Bottom