anyone building the 445 Super Mag,aka 444 Schafer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I recently acquired a Contender barrel "re-chambered"in 444Schafer/44 Super mag/445 Super Mag

Original cases were built from 30-40 Krag,then 444 Marlin brass-----lots of work,since Starline now offers brass(445 Super Mag)

thoughts---ideas????????

tallend

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Is it a pistol-length barrel, 14" or so?

Be advised that it's a real handful...kills on one end, maims on the other! ;)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    A buddy of mine had a Dan Wesson .445. He practically gave the thing away. Always wished I'd bought it from him but the thought of making brass for it never appealed to me.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Thanks to all for your information-----------if I find the 445 to be a"keeper"(fun to shoot),I may send it to E.A. Brown for a "JP Howitzer"brake.

tallend

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    (fun to shoot)

I remember it being very much so.;)

I have never really understood why it wasn't more popular. What made .45LC based cartridges, like the Casull and .460 Smith take off and the .44 Mag based stuff just died.:dunno:

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Guys---When I said "acquired",I meant bought,I did not have it in hand,so,--I got a lot of information,for a "second" ctg.that Mr Schafer designed-------I now have the barrel,"in hand"--------The original 444 Schafer uses a full length 444 Marlin case-----with the barrel(re-stamped 444Schafer) I got a set of 444 Marlin dies,loaded 444 Marlin brass,and a box of 444 Marlin Brass-----and 3 pages of handwritten loading instructions,written by Mr.Lewis P. Schafer....
    He also claims the 44 Schafer Ultramag,the 360 Schafer mag,and the 30 Schafer Mag.

Sorry to have started the wrong information

tallend

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well, that is an ENTIRELY different 'cat! :eek:

How is the 444 Marlin changed to make the Schafer variant?

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    (How is the 444 Marlin changed to make the Schafer variant?)

At this time--I can "see" no difference----- there is a warning(in his notes)"These loads might be dangerous in your Marlin 444 rifle"

Only a few of his listed loads compare to any of my loading manuals---(for the 444 Marlin)----------most of his loads have listed faster burning powder--I guess for the shorter(14") barrel.

His loads,and a factory 444 Marlin "seem" to chamber the same

The loaded ammo has a "Three K' logo,and a "Three K Industries Inc." address --Boise Idaho

I am going to send a note to the address to see if there is anymore information available..

Information will be posted as recieved

tallend

Top Bottom