• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've been a Glock man for many years. However I've gone through a period of re-evaluation because of the way I carry. Since the Gilligan family massacre (google up "Gilligan family murders, Evansville, IN, 1980") I've entered my house by myself, with pistol drawn at low ready and made sure nobody was in there. I then go back and carry in groceries and bring my wife in last. When I come in I like to have my trigger finger inside the trigger guard. I started feeling really uncomfortable doing that, figuring I might tense up at a confrontation and pull the trigger without consciously intending to.

Because of that I found the Sig P-250, 9mm, double action only, and am now getting used to it. I love the long but smooth trigger pull. And I'm getting really good at increasing my speed of pull compared to a single action or striker fired piece. My little subcompact holds 12+1 and shoots to the same point of aim from 7 to 30 yards. The spread increase of course but the point of aim stays the same. I feel very comfortable shooting at arm's reach to the average distance I sit from the altar in church if a crazy comes in and heads for the priest during Mass.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has chosen this route. (I know, I know. A double action gun will get me killed by a thug!!:rolleyes:)

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    You clear your house every time you leave it? Fingers belong outside the trigger guard regardless of the type of firearm.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been a Glock man for many years. However I've gone through a period of re-evaluation because of the way I carry. Since the Gilligan family massacre (google up "Gilligan family murders, Evansville, IN, 1980") I've entered my house by myself, with pistol drawn at low ready and made sure nobody was in there. I then go back and carry in groceries and bring my wife in last. When I come in I like to have my trigger finger inside the trigger guard. I started feeling really uncomfortable doing that, figuring I might tense up at a confrontation and pull the trigger without consciously intending to.

Because of that I found the Sig P-250, 9mm, double action only, and am now getting used to it. I love the long but smooth trigger pull. And I'm getting really good at increasing my speed of pull compared to a single action or striker fired piece. My little subcompact holds 12+1 and shoots to the same point of aim from 7 to 30 yards. The spread increase of course but the point of aim stays the same. I feel very comfortable shooting at arm's reach to the average distance I sit from the altar in church if a crazy comes in and heads for the priest during Mass.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has chosen this route. (I know, I know. A double action gun will get me killed by a thug!!:rolleyes:)

Nothing wrong with traditional double action pistols if you shoot them well.

There's a huge problem with doing anything but shooting with your finger inside of the trigger guard, regardless of what type of gun you choose. You should feel really uncomfortable doing that even with your double action gun. It's negligently unsafe and provides no significant benefit of which I am aware. You asked for opinions on the gun, but the real issue here is what you are doing with the gun. You should stop doing that immediately. If you have not had recent, professional training, I recommended that you seek it soon.

As far as clearing your house every time you come home . . . I won't comment on the why and motivation aspects. That's your business. You do you.

Given that, clearing a house solo is unwise unless you have no better options. If you don't have formal training in appropriate methods and tactics related to clearing rooms, moving through structures, and engaging threats while doing so, I strongly recommend that you seek such training without delay. If you have had such training, I recommend that you get more, particularly with some force-on-force elements that provide some insight into the nature of clearing structures by yourself.

Again, stop moving around (when you are not on a target/threat and ready to shoot) with your finger inside of the trigger guard. It's dangerous and people can be and have been injured and killed due to such wanton negligence. You can no advantage from it. There isn't a good reason to do it and significant reason to not.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    I have carried my SIG P250 9 mm subcompact AIWB in the past. But I don't put my finger on the trigger unless I plan to shoot.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I carried a SIG 250C for about three years.

During a practice session I had about 5 FTF sent it back to SIG came back with all new springs and has worked perfectly since, it’s a “truck gun” now and not a 1st line defense pistol.

Finger on trigger only when shooting only even in combat!

Top Bottom