Anyone Carry In Condition 3 (aka Israeli carry)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Just going to start carrying a semi auto pistol and wondered if any of you carry in condition 3? Seems to be safer for a newbie carrier. Thoughts appreciated--

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    If it is a new platform to you such as a striker fired pistol instead of a revolver I see no problems with carrying without one in the chamber.... in your house.

Get comfortable with it before you carry on the streets. But don't carry on the streets empty...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Get some training.That sounds even safer. :dunno:

That's like pushing your car down the street because you are afraid to drive it with gas in the tank.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    The first rule of gun safety is all guns are always loaded..... So no. Have you ever tried to unholster and rack a slide when a guy with a knife is running at you full steam?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Just going to start carrying a semi auto pistol and wondered if any of you carry in condition 3? Seems to be safer for a newbie carrier. Thoughts appreciated--

Assume you have a 1911 or similar. When I first started to carry my P238 the thought of carrying in condition 1 (cocked and locked) took a little getting used to. If you are uncomfortable carrying in condition 1 I would suggest you spend a month +/- carrying in condition 3 with the hammer cocked. During this test period think about how many times the hammer falls by accident (zero). After a month of carrying on an empty chamber while cocked you should be comfortable carrying in condition 1. This is how I got comfortable as a newbie, so consider the good advice of the experienced guys but remember it is you that should be comfortable and feel safe in how you carry. Sometimes it takes a little longer to get comfortable and consider carrying in the house to speed up that learning curve.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Prior to this thread, I had no Idea what Condition 3 or Isaraeli Carry meant. Now that I know, I'm a bit shocked and know of no one personaly who does this.
    I bust my brother's balls for running a safety on his striker fired piece.
    When it comes to PP, to each their own, but if you're gonna carry on an empty chamber, ya better hope any bad situation developes real slowly.

KittySlayer, great advise!

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    OP, here's some homework.

Carry On an empty chamber, but cocked around your house for a day. Do lots of activity, chores etc. At the end of the day you will see your hammer didn't drop/striker didn't strike.

The next day put a round in the chamber and don't look back.

Follow the four rules and have a decent holster/belt and you'll be okay.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just a thought here, but if you're carrying a 1911 or other single action, it would be essential to have a holster that completely covers the trigger and trigger guard to prevent something getting in there (while working or walking through the woods, for example) from accidentally getting into the trigger guard and flipping off the safety and accidentally firing it.
    Yes, it's unlikely, but it's possible, especially if you are moving through obstacles of some sort.
    It's all about personal preference after that, but a DA/SA would afford a touch more flexibility.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If you are carrying in "Condition 3", you might as well leave the gun at home and save the trouble. It is safer, but the bad guy and I am positive they appreciate the advantage it gives them. As noted by others, it's difficult enough to draw, aim, and fire with a gun in "Condition 1". But to add the additional step of having to rack the slide, hope you get that right and the round goes into battery, then aim, and fire means you're probably down or dead.

Thinking this is a safer condition is faulty thinking. A modern firearm is safe in this condition and millions of gun carriers do it every day without any incident. What causes guns to go off is pulling the trigger. You WANT the gun to fire when you pull the trigger!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    OP, what specific pistol are you going to carry? Learn all you can about it. Get to understand every detail of it there is. Find videos, or instructions to completely disassemble and reassemble it. If you don't feel comfortable actually doing that yourself, find a trusted friend to help, or at least digest the instructions. There are likely animated, cut-away videos online, to show you exactly what goes on when the trigger is pulled, and what can't happen when it isn't.

Take the mystery out of it, and you'll fell a lot more at ease.

Someone previously mentioned defensive handgun training, and I can not add enough recommendation.

In addition to firearms manipulation, a good beginner course should teach you things like: Wear a good quality, sturdy belt, either leather or heavy webbing. This is going to be kind of pricey, but totally worth it. In their inventory of 5.11 gear, Gander actually has a "reversible" black/brown 1 1/2" "instructor"-type belt that is very sturdy, and not too expensive. Get a good quality holster, made of leather or kydex, that is formed for your gun. (Everyone who has been carrying for any time has a box full of old, cheap holsters that were a WASTE of money) When you carry, wear an appropriate cover garment, but don't grab at it, don't constantly adjust your clothing because you're paranoid that you're printing. You're fine. Nobody, NOBODY, is checking out the little lump on the side of your hip. (because you're NOT going to use a shoulder rig, now are you?) Don't tell everybody that you carry, or that you're carrying at the time. FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T TAKE IT OUT OF ITS HOLSTER TO SHOW IT OFF!!

If you have questions about any of this stuff, ASK, before you go plunk down a chunk of change on something you're not sure about. Chances are, someone here has owned and used the product, and can give you some insight.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to ask why you would do that. The Israeli's practice practice practice to do this. Have you drilled with no mag in the gun in a safe location. Remove/rack/acquire.......It takes a heller long time especially when your life may well depend on it.

What will you be carrying???

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I forget the jurisdiction, but somewhere, even the police were forbidden by law from carrying with a round in the chamber. So, for the use of automatics, they invented a holster where, prior to drawing up and out of the holster, the shooter would just push the sidearm down far enough that the holster's grip on the slide racked back so on the draw proper, it stripped the first round off the top of the mag and into the chamber. Effectively, it only added a single downward stroke to the draw over and above a traditional condition 1 draw while adhering to the condition 3 law. I think the holster even acted as a level 2 retention holster, so the overall mindfulness of the draw was prolly a wash.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I forget the jurisdiction, but somewhere, even the police were forbidden by law from carrying with a round in the chamber. So, for the use of automatics, they invented a holster where, prior to drawing up and out of the holster, the shooter would just push the sidearm down far enough that the holster's grip on the slide racked back so on the draw proper, it stripped the first round off the top of the mag and into the chamber. Effectively, it only added a single downward stroke to the draw over and above a traditional condition 1 draw while adhering to the condition 3 law. I think the holster even acted as a level 2 retention holster, so the overall mindfulness of the draw was prolly a wash.

That would require over 2" of down stroke to rack the slide.
    Not knocking this but there is a lot that could go wrong in that added movement especially in the heat of the moment.
    Sounds a bit scary.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Carry a different firearm that doesn't require 'cocked & locked' to carry safely with a round in the chamber.

Pretty simple.

Top Bottom