• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    It'll be thick for sure. 26 trees an acre is a good hair cut. Not familiar with the maple borer. It's not the Asian long horned beetle is it? You better get your sang out of there now, you'll not be able to find it for years.

Here's some reading on the maple borer for you How to Identify and Control the Sugar Maple Borer

And yes, I plan on digging it all if its 3+ years old. Either dig it or the skidders will just destroy it is the way I look at it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    2py52yv.jpg

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    That's a nice plant. I love how easy it is to spot them when they turn yellow. It's almost as if they glow! My wife and I have about a pound dried that I am holding on to until prices come up some.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    That's a nice plant. I love how easy it is to spot them when they turn yellow. It's almost as if they glow! My wife and I have about a pound dried that I am holding on to until prices come up some.

i will have close to a pound dried now.......i didn't dig it but i dug the ones down hill from it.......i'll leave it as a seeder....:)

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Any price reports????? I haven't called the buyer yet. I sure miss the 800-900/lb days. Buyer last year said it will be a long time before those prices are seen again. He said the market crashed and all the high dollar root is still sitting over seas. I'm hoping for $550 around the middle of November.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    can't you get the CO's out to keep them off?........i thought it was against the law to dig root on state/government land?

Very true, the issue is just the land to the north and east of me is over 3000 acres with several access points. I'm sure there are COs out there, but my ground is a long hike from those access points.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Usually come up with some on the cameras, one year it was two guys on horses. Those we caught and told to leave.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Yep dirty knees, soil under finger nails. Ran a man and woman off the farm the other day,and also confiscated what they had dug. just added it to my bunch drying. Trespassers are pretty low in my book.!!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Dug a few more ounces today before the rain. Found a couple really nice old ones...one of which took 15 minutes to dig. It was a double root, and it was intertwined with tree roots. I managed to get it out unbroken.

My plants have turned yellow and finding them is now much easier.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i called 3 weeks ago and it was 400 at Duncan's.......i'm calling today to see what the price is......time to sell and get Christmas gifts.....:)

Top Bottom