Anyone else bruise really easily on their shoulders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    Shot my Mosin M44.. maybe 10 rds... and a Ruger 77/44.. one mag. I've always bruised easily.. squats, heavy backpack, etc..

shoulder%20bruising.JPG

And yes, I keep em tight...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    I always bruise like crazy. Yes I hold it tight too. I went shopping at bradis and justheld some and it bruised. I've noticed there's a huge difference in bruises depending on the stock. If the stock is padded obviously it's not as bad. If the stock has the lines on the end it tears my shoulder up like ur picture. I've been looking online for the pads to cover mine. I've seen some people use towels but I don't think i'd like that, plus it looks stupid when u use it, I don't know if it would affect shooting either. If someone has a great solution...please post it. I'm dieing to know.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    Sorry but I just posted this in the long gun section and saw this thread.

After months of shooting my Mosin M44. I had decided to pull my 91/30 from the safe and shoot it. I first shot it with a Lacquer finsh round and then a Cooper wash silver tip. WOW!! I couldn't belive the differnce between to two, but my shoulder could. Ooch! A much heavier hit with the Lacquer finsh round then the Cooper wash round. Has anyone ever experniced that before?

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I always use a "sissy bag" when shooting at the range. A small sand bag that I put between stock & shoulder. Probably wouldn't have when I was younger, but after more than 6 decades of life comfort means more than image!

I also have a 6" square of very stiff fabric, felt used for conveyor belts in paper mills, it really helps to keep the shoulder from getting beat up.

abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    The lines are just how I bruise.. no lines on the stock. I think I even get a little when I shoot the ar-15. It doesn't hurt, I just bruise.. lol. I probably do need more potassium.

Oh, and I shot it in the wife beater.

Last edited:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I believe you when you say you bruise easily but from the position of the bruise in your picture you are not shouldering the weapon properly. You are placing it in/above your armpit- a common mistake You should try to move it in an inch or two and keep it tight tight tight.

I for one do not bruise unless i hold her loose.

abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    I believe you when you say you bruise easily but from the position of the bruise in your picture you are not shouldering the weapon properly. You are placing it in/above your armpit- a common mistake You should try to move it in an inch or two and keep it tight tight tight.

I for one do not bruise unless i hold her loose.

Oh, I do not doubt I will still bruise. Nonetheless, I will bring it in a bit next time I go shoot. Thanks for the tip.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Oh, I do not doubt I will still bruise. Nonetheless, I will bring it in a bit next time I go shoot. Thanks for the tip.

No problem - Several years ago before I started shooting seriously I took some lessons from a pro who shoots for Browning. In our first lesson I shouldered it the same way you do and immediately he corrected me. Now, not only do I rarely experience recoil discomfort, I shoot a heck of a lot better too:D

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Eat more potasium, ie bananas

I am not aware that Potassium has any effect on easy bruising. However, Vitamin C may. (Bananas are a great source of Potassium but they are also an OK source of Vitamin C.) Look up "bachelor's scurvy" or "workhouse scurvy" and see if you fit the bill :)

Vitamin K certainly does effect bruising.

Fair people generally just bruise moire easily. But you could try increasing your intake of fruits (Vit C which can improve the tone of the walls of your blood vessels) and dark green leafy vegetables (Vit K which helps blood clot and thereby reduces bruising.)

A poor diet can encourage easy bruising. Most folks in the "fast food" generation do not have adequate Vits C and K (as well as many others!) in their diets. (Most people with a true Vitamin K deficiency probably have a non-diet related cause of it.)

Although it's best to get these things from your diet, maybe just starting a multivitamin could help.

Just something to consider as a possiblility.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    So many cruel things I could say about rug burns, man up, and a slew of other things.
    But, I won't. Bare skin was the first issue, and your placement has been mentioned. So "we" fair skinned ppl do bruise easily. Typically not from what I shoot (SKS), but a good range bag will mark up my shoulder easy enough. Maybe a need higher powered rifles.

Oh, don't pull double hammer duty on old shotguns. Aside from the fact I had thought I broke my shoulder, it left a heck of a bruise. Ahh, yes, young and dumb.

abigbadzebra

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Richmond
    :D

I have Irish, Scottish and Welsh ancestry.. I have pretty damn fair skin. I don't seem to bruise easily anywhere else though.

In any case, you aint touching my man card. It sits right in front of my LTCH and that's where it will stay. :draw:

Top Bottom