Anyone else have issues with deer or fawn coming onto the range when shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Anyone else have issues with deer or fawn coming onto the range when shooting? It's been ridiculous the last month with deer. They just come and like to prance in and out when I'm shooting. Today I had 4 to 5 fawn today just wanted to prance all over the range while my son was shooting his 22. I had to get a shotgun to scare them. As soon as I would stop, they would come back. Maybe they like the sound of a 22. Couple of weeks ago they were attracted to tanerite targets.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Can't say I've ever had that problem while shooting

Off topic...but would anyone like to buy some deer meat? My freezer is packed :shady: :shady: :shady:

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had 'em goofing off on private gun ranges.
    Also had 'em come out during a dove hunt, F&W area.............lots of shooting and they just ambled out.
    We stopped until they left.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen deer literally crossing a trap range WHILE a round of trap was being shot at three different places. I know that shot pellets had to be falling on them. I guess they just get used to it.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    It happens to a friend on his range all the time. They just don't seem to care at all. At first it was funny and now its expected.

Chuck

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    It happens on a regular basis at HHRP range, I've seen deer ,turkey, raccoon, groundhog, and of course squirell, rabbit, and chipmonks

just be aware,

4 rules

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    At the South Bend police range. At one time you could 'join' for a fee and shoot their. They have a huge berm as a backstop. Has bushes and small trees growing on it. I've saw deer just sitting on the top watching people shoot. They must have learned they were safe their.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I've had it happen at my house. You have to be careful and watch out for them. Sometimes they're like ghosts and seem to appear out of nowhere..

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I was shooting with Indygunworks once at my place on a WINDY day, and we had a doe go behind our 4x8 sheet of plywood to get out of the wind.

I was shooting at 750yds one day with my 260, and had a coyote come out between the target, and me at around 600. A quick spin on the turret, and that coyote didnt ever walk onto my range again.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Never had a deer cross the range. A couple months ago at the Winamac FWA I had a ground hog walk out of his hole on to the range and just look at me then turn and walk back into his hole in the dirt berm. It was kinda funny really.:laugh:

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    A few weeks ago I was shooting at a range using the 20 yard backstop, a deer just walked out from behind the 50 yard backstop and walked across the range to the woods. Never got in a hurry, just ignored me.

On my range a few years ago I was sighting in a hand cannon and my wife was spotting. She says don't shoot, I look up and a nice buck is standing off to the side of the backstop looking at us.

They get used to it. Shots also sometimes do not bother them much. Have shot a deer often during season and if it falls quickly the others in the group might stay around. Then it becomes a question of how many do you want to field dress.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    During the Police and Fire Olympics at Camp Atterbury in 2001 we shot the 1000 yard match while 3 deer grazed down by the number boards. For 22 minutes we shot over their heads with no response from them. I won Bronze with a Creighton Audette built .308 bolt gun with antique irons.

At my home club one day, a deer ambled across the range during one of the 300 stages. We called a ceasefire and enjoyed the view. The Range Officer opened the pits and when the pit crew came out, the deer spooked and vacated the premises as only a whitetail can. We resumed our rifle match.

hoosiercheetah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    On one occasion I shot a big doe from a tree stand at about 10 yards. She bounded off to die in the bush nearby, but the two smaller does that were with her just stood there, watching me re-stuff my barrel. When I shot the second doe, the third finally ran away.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I love the smell of Bambi in the morning...smells like BBQ.

Where I shoot the Canadian Pigeons (geese) and Ground Hogs walk around like you're not there.

Top Bottom