Anyone else just find ammunition fascinating?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    So, sitting here looking at a box of loose ammunition just got me thinking. Bullets are very fascinating little things. Think about the difference in ballistics a few millimeters makes in a cartridge. The chemistry behind it all. Heck, bullets are just pretty little things. Precisely manufactured, gleaming, small pieces of brass, copper, and lead. I really enjoy looking at ammo more than shooting it sometimes. Anyone else have similar philosophical thoughts when staring at the contents of their ammo cans?

The sheer variety is also astounding. Hundreds of cartridges, some intensely rare others common as dirt, have been used at one point in time or another. They all have their niches and no one cartridge does everything. Every single one was engineered with a purpose in mind. The amount of engineering and man hours that has gone into engineering some of our favorite calibers is amazing when you think about it.

I just find ammunition to be very worthy of thought.

Last edited:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    When i was young i would dog ear the pages of a playboy.

Now i do the same with reloading manuals and ballistic charts.

I don't see any problem with it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I love coon-fingering ammo.

I catch myself sorting it and arranging it in my safe. What for? No clue. I think to myself, ok put 9mm here, .45 here, .223 here, etc... Then back again. Yeah I'm weird.

np241or

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    I thought I was the only one that did that, I also take my pistols and rifles and handle them, wipe em down and look at them some more,especially when new and shiney. Yes, I guess weird is the word... oh well.

Drake.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I Must confess, I'm one of the weird ones also. Ill take the .45 out of the box and put it all back in a few times, even to the point of lining up the headstands (OCD much) haha.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Especially beautiful sight looking at shiny, just finished, handloaded ammo.

:whistle:

I will frequently take a reloading block or a box of finished ammo into the house to show my wife how cool it looks. I like to slowly rotate the box under good lighting, watching the rows of gleaming brass and copper jackets line up over and over again. The symmetry and aesthetics, combined with a knowledge of the potential energy contained within, just mesmerizes me.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only nut-job on these pages!! :D

:ingo:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    It's not uncommon for me to load and unload my ammo cans several times in one day, just to try and consolidate to one can to take to the range.

It usually never works. lol

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I take most of my ammo out of the boxes and load it into ammo cans, just because it looks like its at home in there. I don't think ammo likes standing up all the time, it likes to relax and be close to friends.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    It takes a special kind of love and sentimental value for one to have these weird obsessions that you do...

And I promise, you certainly aren't alone! :rockwoot:

To take it one step further... After cleaning a few guns and wiping down the rest,
    I'll sometimes take out each caliber that I own and set them all side by side to compare them.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    This thread is evidence that no one in the DHS or the media reads INGO ...they'd have a field day with all these comments (typed with an open box of bulk .40 cal next to me). :D

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sometime I turn the light on in my relading room and just stand there in amazement and smile to myself then turn the light back of and leave the room. Dream of the next outing and which gun I would like to take out.

Planted pumpkins this year specifically to shoot at. Ahhhh I am so hooked!

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i also find ammo interesting and agree with all your points except one...i always enjoy shooting it more than anything else

Top Bottom