• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I have been doing all of my own for about 5 years now after losing the guy who I used to take them to. I have been taking what I would have spent on processing and slowly been purchasing commercial level equipment. I will probably go into business if I spend money on a band saw. If I get that it will put me at the hour mark from start to finish.

you don`t need a band saw, just bone them out. my buddy quit using a band saw years ago. You use a hand saw at the 5th rib to cut the fore qtrs off and again at the H bone to cut off the rib cage and use a knife to bone it all out.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We cut up our own, but over the years and having my sons move away I've become more selective about what I keep. Destroyed front shoulders and ribs just aren't worth the time it takes to pick out usable meat.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Deboned fully in the field, pack up the meat in a garbage in my pack and take home to finish. No mess at home to deal with. Coyotes remove all evidence of a carcass in a few days.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Deboned fully in the field, pack up the meat in a garbage in my pack and take home to finish. No mess at home to deal with. Coyotes remove all evidence of a carcass in a few days.

This intrigues me. I have walking distance public ground that I usually avoid due to the extremes of dragging out the deer.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Pretty sure they do not allow leaving the remains on public land, somebody who knows the regs chime in. I only hunt private land so this is not an issue.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Heard Little Bucks in Mooresville had to stop taking deer about 2 weeks ago, they could not handle the volume and were close to 1,000 deer taken in since bow season started, someone said they are open now but call ahead first.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I always enjoyed processing my own but then the grandson took up hunting and a lot of years we have two down the same day. That and the last several years have been awfully warm for hanging.You guys got any tips for the warm weather days we seem to be stuck with ??

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I always enjoyed processing my own but then the grandson took up hunting and a lot of years we have two down the same day. That and the last several years have been awfully warm for hanging.You guys got any tips for the warm weather days we seem to be stuck with ??

I used an old fridge to hang deer quarters in until I can get to them. Age them for about 7-10 days and they are much better. You can get two deer hanging from rack in a standard fridge.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I've always wanted to do that very thing. Seems even when I did work up my own something would come up (warm snap, rain etc) that caused me to butcher before I wanted to. We moved to a new house 2 yrs ago and I now have the space in the garage to hang a deer and butcher. There's room for a fridge too.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central

On one half of my garage there is a window AC unit in a corner. The guy we bought the house off of had a wood shop in this half. I intend to box in that corner and insulate so I can make a walk-in cooler.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I've thought of an AC unit but wouldn't you have to move the sensor bulb of the AC unit out of the room to fool the AC unit ? The AC will only go down as low as the bulb allows.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I've thought of an AC unit but wouldn't you have to move the sensor bulb of the AC unit out of the room to fool the AC unit ? The AC will only go down as low as the bulb allows.

There is a device called a Coolbot that makes the ac unit run to lower temps. My buddy built a cooler in his garage and was fighting with his unit freezing up. He bought the coolbot and unit runs and keeps the "cooler" 42 degrees. Pretty slick idea.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    There is a device called a Coolbot that makes the ac unit run to lower temps. My buddy built a cooler in his garage and was fighting with his unit freezing up. He bought the coolbot and unit runs and keeps the "cooler" 42 degrees. Pretty slick idea.

A friend of mine used a Coke machine cooling system to do this. Cooled his 2 deer walk in down in no time!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    My buddy and I cut our own for a couple seasons, but called it quits a season or two ago on doing our own. It`s a lot of work, and if I can get in to Moody Meats in Ladoga, they`re incredible. I really don`t even like to have anyone else do it. Especially after the last guy kept half of what I should have had in ground, and the job he did on cutting butterfly backstrap steaks was horrendous.

When we started cutting our own deer though, we took a course at the Parke County Fairgrounds that the Purdue Ag. Extension put on, and it was a great class.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central

I hadn't got that far in my thinking. I know a few people who have done this and I was going to see what they do.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I see all the time on Craigs List large commercial coolers from store closings etc . With a rack you could probably hang 3 deer even in the smaller units.

Top Bottom