Anyone else running the Indy Mini tomorrow?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    This will be the third year in a row that my wife and I have run the Indy Mini Marathon. Are any other INGO'ers running it this year? If there are several people that run it, maybe some INGO team shirts for next year?:ingo:

Usually, my wife and I train all through the winter and feel very prepared. This year, I have to admit I haven't really trained like I should. I am guessing Sunday morning is going to hurt!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My law firm used to field a team. In '08 I named it: "Lactic Acid Trip".

My perpetual suggestion was: "Gone With the Winded", but no one ever went for it.

To me, that 2.5 miles around the track, which was supposed to be the highlight, was the most unpleasant part of the run. The heat, no wind...boring scenery...

One guy who passed me had a shirt on that said: "The doctors said I'd never walk again". That made me feel good.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why is it you never see anyone smile if this is supposed to be so much fun

In our case (the firm team) the fun came before and after the race. We hung around and generally partook of what the city had to offer.

I'll never forget one of my partners asking a homeless guy curled up by a newspaper stand for directions to the OTB....he knew.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    My law firm used to field a team. In '08 I named it: "Lactic Acid Trip".

My perpetual suggestion was: "Gone With the Winded", but no one ever went for it.

To me, that 2.5 miles around the track, which was supposed to be the highlight, was the most unpleasant part of the run. The heat, no wind...boring scenery...

One guy who passed me had a shirt on that said: "The doctors said I'd never walk again". That made me feel good.

The track is also my least favorite part. I refer to is as the black ring of death.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    My wife and I make a weekend of it. I'm abou to the hotel down town now. We will check out on Sunday. Saturday afternoon we usually awake from a nap and have the most ferocious appetite. So we enjoy a couple of restaurants. Usually we eat 2 dinners that night, both including dessert. We don't have to worry about watching what we eat since we burned about a billion calories earlier in the day.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife and I make a weekend of it. I'm abou to the hotel down town now. We will check out on Sunday. Saturday afternoon we usually awake from a nap and have the most ferocious appetite. So we enjoy a couple of restaurants. Usually we eat 2 dinners that night, both including dessert. We don't have to worry about watching what we eat since we burned about a billion calories earlier in the day.

Yep, that's the way to do it!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Going to give it another shot. I quit running for 25 years after High School, then picked it back up at 43. My first couple didn't go well, but I've knocked about 20 minutes off my time since then, so that's good for me. I'm still running slow enough to make sure the 28 year-old girls in impossibly tight spandex running pants will eventually be in FRONT of me, not behind me ;). I'm enjoying it, all my blood numbers are under control, and I haven't puked on anybody (yet).

But if you see a gray-haired guy wearing a blue NRA shirt tomorrow, stay away just in case.

And I share your sentiments about the Race track. I guess it's a big deal for out-of-towners who've never been to Indy. But the place is empty, and when the speedway is empty, it's just eerie. A dingy concrete bowl with stupid techno music blaring out of loudspeakers that are all about a quarter-second off-time with each other. It's like a bad, sweaty acid trip in a South American soccer stadium where Gatorade is the only refreshment.

Spring races are hard to get ready for. Attendance has been declining. I think some folks are getting tired of the price going up and up. We'll see how tomorrow goes...

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    A few years ago I tried to meet my niece and her boyfriend at the Indy Zoo. It happened to fall on the weekend of the Indy Mini. It took us a couple of hours to even be able to get to each other because of the road closures and our Zoo meet was cut way short. As far as I'm concerned the event can gargle with part of my anatomy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Finish with the Kenyans = PR

No kidding.

In 2008, out team went to the pasta dinner on Friday and we ate one of the elite runners, a Kenyan named Valentine Orare. That year, there was a little controversy at the finish where there was some elbowing action. I think Valentine came in second. I finished, oh, couple (or more) hours later.

Top Bottom