• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Glad to see that I'm not alone. There are so many good platforms out there right now, it's tough to deny enjoying at least a few of them.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Cz 75 shadow, Dan Wesson 1911, Ruger gp100 match champ, m&p shield (plus 5-6 glocks bought and sold)
    ... and no duplicates of any... I suffer the same as you, my friend.

Fun to get proficient on various platforms - I'm mostly working on mastering the 1911 and the revolver this last year.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Cz 75 shadow, Dan Wesson 1911, Ruger gp100 match champ, m&p shield (plus 5-6 glocks bought and sold)
    ... and no duplicates of any... I suffer the same as you, my friend.

Fun to get proficient on various platforms - I'm mostly working on mastering the 1911 and the revolver this last year.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I get it. I learned to shoot with a revolver. When I bought my first gun it was an M&P for all the usual reasons - cheap ammo, capacity, etc. Down the road I later got a Colt .38 and then a Shield. For me, the Shield carries much easier than the revolver. My step son has expressed an interest in buying the snub. So I could easily stick with the M&P platform and it would meet all of my needs. Thing is, even though I shoot the FS well enough, it always feels like the balance is off to me. Like I keep expecting to have the weight on top of my hand rather than all back in the grip. So although my needs are currently met by the guns that I have, I feel like I NEED a full size revolver. Currently I'm craving a revolver in .45acp. It's probably a good thing that my finances prevent me from making impulse buys.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I get it. I learned to shoot with a revolver. When I bought my first gun it was an M&P for all the usual reasons - cheap ammo, capacity, etc. Down the road I later got a Colt .38 and then a Shield. For me, the Shield carries much easier than the revolver. My step son has expressed an interest in buying the snub. So I could easily stick with the M&P platform and it would meet all of my needs. Thing is, even though I shoot the FS well enough, it always feels like the balance is off to me. Like I keep expecting to have the weight on top of my hand rather than all back in the grip. So although my needs are currently met by the guns that I have, I feel like I NEED a full size revolver. Currently I'm craving a revolver in .45acp. It's probably a good thing that my finances prevent me from making impulse buys.

Ive been drooling over a s&w 625 for a long while now

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    I, too, have swapped around a bit. I have owned several CZs, several Glocks, several SIGs, a couple 1911s and BHP...I don't regret being a plantform jumper because I've gotten to discover cool things about each one. I *do* regret trading and selling away a few of those guns...

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    It is a progressive disease...

I remember when I focused all my effort on one firearm and did everything I could to it and with it. I guess I didn't know it had a name. I suppose "platform" works. Eventually I would switch to something new and buy various "upgrades" for it and shoot it into boredom and trade it for another. Mostly because money was tight and I couldn't get something new without the sacrifice. I still miss some of those...

Eventually I quit trading and just added something new. After all, the one you have is really good, but it doesn't fill all the applications. You can varmint hunt with a compact nine, but it's really not ideal, etc. And then you realize you had better start saving for a safe to put them in, you have too much invested to leave them laying around. And then you need a bigger one, and maybe a second one ...

I suppose you become a collector when you have firearms that don't really have a specific function that you don't already fill with another. Maybe you even have some you don't even fire, or don't even want to fire, because they are hard to find, unique, have special meaning, a safe queen, or just need preserving for some unknown reason. After all, they make good investments, don't they? ...

And then one day, you realize you are not getting any younger. They don't really qualify as investments, if you don't ever sell them. What will happen to them when you are gone? Do you have children for your children? Will they ever truly value a collection, if they don't spend decades building it themselves? Will they abuse them, or sell them? If so, then maybe it is your responsibility to find them a new home before you are gone. But you can't sell them to just anybody. Will they appreciate them? Will they care for them? Or will they just turn them for a quick buck, because they are one of those kind ...?

And how long do you wait? Any of us could go any day, but as you grow older, the odds are not in your favor. Will I live another 5 years, 10, 25?

Yep, it's a progressive disease.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It is a progressive disease...

I remember when I focused all my effort on one firearm and did everything I could to it and with it. I guess I didn't know it had a name. I suppose "platform" works. Eventually I would switch to something new and buy various "upgrades" for it and shoot it into boredom and trade it for another. Mostly because money was tight and I couldn't get something new without the sacrifice. I still miss some of those...

Eventually I quit trading and just added something new. After all, the one you have is really good, but it doesn't fill all the applications. You can varmint hunt with a compact nine, but it's really not ideal, etc. And then you realize you had better start saving for a safe to put them in, you have too much invested to leave them laying around. And then you need a bigger one, and maybe a second one ...

I suppose you become a collector when you have firearms that don't really have a specific function that you don't already fill with another. Maybe you even have some you don't even fire, or don't even want to fire, because they are hard to find, unique, have special meaning, a safe queen, or just need preserving for some unknown reason. After all, they make good investments, don't they? ...

And then one day, you realize you are not getting any younger. They don't really qualify as investments, if you don't ever sell them. What will happen to them when you are gone? Do you have children for your children? Will they ever truly value a collection, if they don't spend decades building it themselves? Will they abuse them, or sell them? If so, then maybe it is your responsibility to find them a new home before you are gone. But you can't sell them to just anybody. Will they appreciate them? Will they care for them? Or will they just turn them for a quick buck, because they are one of those kind ...?

And how long do you wait? Any of us could go any day, but as you grow older, the odds are not in your favor. Will I live another 5 years, 10, 25?

Yep, it's a progressive disease.

You bring up some good points! I've thought about where the collection will go once I'm gone and have a few places that some will head towards. But, there are some others that might not be overly appreciated by others. My fondness for .40 caliber CZs is probably something that would not be shared by most, so I don't know who would appreciate those like I do. There are some members of the family that I'd want to have specific guns, but there are others that I don't know that I'd either trust with a gun at all or think that they'd just run to a pawn shop with whatever was willed to them.

Top Bottom