Anyone else tend to stay out of the woods during firearms season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I've noticed deer doing the same thing lately. I've almost hit 7 or 8 deer in the last 2 days. They are on the roads, in the middle of the day.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    For the past three years, I've hunted at my in-laws place... I've never seen any other hunters in the woods out there. That said, it is their practise to stay out of the woods when not hunting AND to wear hunter's orange when walking around on the developed part of the property.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Back when I mountain biked a lot, I avoided Hoosier National, Yellow Wood, and some other spots. A bike sounds too much like a running deer. Some hunters are a bit trigger happy, and will shoot at a sound.

My wife and I had a scare a few years ago, with gunshots WAY to close for comfort. Looking back, we likely scared up some deer with our bikes, rather than getting shot at ourselves. Either way, we we stayed out of hunting areas during the "season" after that.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I try to go into the woods more during hunting season. However I never going in public land during season :D

Racoon SRA sounded like WW3 yesterday LOL. It's usually almost abandoned. Couple of times you could tell somebody mistook firepower for hunting, listening to them rip off 3-5 rounds in just a couple seconds.

Didn't see or experience anything particularly unsafe. If you are hunting public lands, you simply must be aware they are crowded, watch your shots, and beware that not everyone will be watching theirs. Picking a good spot to sit with a tree at your back and hills above you in as many directions as possible is as important as picking a good spot to find the deer.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I learned my lesson one year. I was duck hunting at Tri-County Fish and Wildlife Area one year during deer gun season. I was in my camo covered boat. I saw a deer hunter walk along the opposite shore then go into the woods. Less than a minute later a slug goes through my blind about 1 foot away from me. I am sure it was an accident but sure made me think.

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I spend a bit of most days in the Clark Forestry just down from Dean Lake area. If you hunt there... please remember that others share the forest even during Hunting Season.

As I am on horse back, I could be easily mistaken for a big deer... I guess! :(

So, I wear a reflective vest as a hunter and even have one for my horse's neck. Put slay bells hanging from my saddle... LOL... Not to many orange slay bell playing dear out here. I hope.

But, when I am out it is not in the early morning or late evening.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    If I go on public land to hunt, I ride with someone else, and pack lightly. Hate leaving my truck at the mercy of the yocals.

It's worse than parking way out on a parking lot in hopes of not getting dinged. I AM a poop magnet, and every dirt bag, class envious pig, will be parked six inches from my wheels, and there will be dings to prove it.

I respect other peoples stuff, why can't they respect mine? JMO

Anyway, public land bad during gun seasons, private land good.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was in hoosier national on all opening day. It wasn't too bad. This year is my first deer hunt in my life. I have lots to learn.

So when I was a farmboy in northern michigan, I saw how they were up there and was totally turned off by the idea.

Here it's different. I think Indiana hunters are a class above michigan hunters from my vague experiences. Up there it's an industry. Here it's managed and hyped, sure. But the doofi up there with .300 Wetherby Magnums will keep you out of the orchards and forests until the season closes - and then there's the poachers after that.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Not much for being on public land during hunting season, but if I have to go out there then those plates go with me... plus the stylish kevlar helmet to match and lots of red... Never know when someone is gonna be on thier first hunt and you will become game...

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Only on my land or the neighbors ground during firearms season. As I've said before, too many goobers who shoot at sound and movement rather than making sure of what is in the scope. I give them the two weeks and then head back out. Haven't found the same situation during muzzleloader season. Or, maybe I've just been lucky.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom