Anyone else try Ballistol multi-purpose lube?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I saw the add in the NRA magazine and ordered some. Seems to work well. Tried some on and old auto knife that had a weak spring, works ok now. Cleaned a couple of firearms with it. Did a good job.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's been discussed here before. Some love the stuff, others are not so impressed.

I use Ballistol on everything under the sun.

Firearms
    Bicycles
    Door hinges
    Tools
    Car parts
    Fishing reels
    Food service equipment
    Locks
    Metal Brake
    and on, and on, and on...

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    It's been discussed here before. Some love the stuff, others are not so impressed.

I use Ballistol on everything under the sun.

Firearms
    Bicycles
    Door hinges
    Tools
    Car parts
    Fishing reels
    Food service equipment
    Locks
    Metal Brake
    and on, and on, and on...

Me too, plus garage doors.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I too use Baallistol on most everything that needs LCP. I have done so for years. The smell isn't the best but the product works.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Whereas Break Free CLP seems to be a lube first, and a cleaning agent second, my understanding is that ballistol is the other way around--a cleaning agent first and foremost, that leaves some lubrication in place when it dries. I've never used it, but I wanted to buy some until I heard about the smell. I love the smell of CLP, it reminds me of the smell of battleships (the Navy uses CLP on their guns, and probably the whole ship), of which I have museum toured many [I am a WW2 history buff BTW].

I could probably tolerate the bad smell of Ballistol if it didn't linger the way Eezox does. I refuse to use Eezox anymore, even though it is supposed to be the best protectant out there, because a single application will make the gun smell that way for at least a year. It is unmistakeable. And while not really a bad smell, I just wish it would fade away within hours instead of months. Does Ballistol's odor linger like that?

I have to add that for my AR-15's I like Slip-2000. That stuff if slick as snot and has no odor. To be honest, if CLP wasn't my favorite cologne, I'd probably use Slip-2000 on all my guns hehe.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I used Ballistol on my first CMP M-1 a few years back to get everything cleaned and moving well, I was very impressed. It worked exceptionally well for that firearm and the mess it was when it arrived from CMP. I tend to use it as a cleaner more so than a lube. I've been very impressed with how well it cleans both my ARs and AK when using cheaper dirty ammo. While I've graduated to the Frog Lube for the lubrication of most of my guns, I do like the Ballistol for a quick clean. As for the smell its not too bad, its not something I use in the house, but it works great in the garage or shop. I've never had anyone ask "what's that smell?" after using it so I figure it can't be that bad. I recall 3M having a penetrating spray that my Dad used when I was a kid that smelled a lot worse.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Ballistol is very effective when being used for a complete tear down cleaning. It is easy to use a little too much when just doing a field strip clean. If you do use a bit too much in that circumstance you can, over time, gum things up.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    When I had my FFL/shop---I had customers that would buy it by the case------one lady said she used it on her houseplants?????

I found it very useful in puting life back in leather that was getting dried out-------also by pre-lubing the ctg loops-"no green cases"

It seems(like most things)that as its popularity increased---so did the price..

tallend

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I must be weird because I actually like the smell of Eezox. Every time I catch a whiff I
    know there is something near that will remain rust free. I treat all my steel weapon parts with it,
    especially my AR and shotgun barrels.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    I just watch a video on YouTube about Ballistol an other popular cleaners/lubricators. The video was on The 1911 Channel, the guy who does it is a chemist or something. He found that Ballistol does eat copper & lead. He also talked to the manufacturer. If you use Ballistol be sure not to soak your guns with it. Apply a thin film and wipe them down.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I shoot Single Action Army revolvers and an 1892 lever-action rifle with blackpowder. It's all I use for lube after I clean them with HOT water. After I'm done, I squirt a little into the actions. I tear them all down once a year for a detailed cleaning. After 4 years of this process, there is no rust in the internals, just black goo. All metal parts just wipe clean!

I like it!

ol' poke.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    Ok, here is the use you did not know for Ballistol. When your 5 year old smashes Silly Putty into his hair, this stuff and a comb gets it right out. It will not irritate skin. Probably work for gum too. When finished, you can comb into a nice faux-hawk! It is almost as good as Grandpa's Lucky Tiger hair oil. Learn new stuff every day.

Top Bottom