Anyone else with a PSA PA10 Gen2? I just got one.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm surprised to hear this too teddy. Never had a lick of trouble with mine, but I use CLP instead of grease. Not sure that would make a difference or not though.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So what can we test to see what's going on?

Put the upper in a vise, muzzle down, no ammo anywhere near it. Remove the charging handle.
    Hold the bolt carrier near the rear of the upper receiver and ease it down. Does it bind?
    Now drop the BCG into the upper. Does it go fully into battery? It should. If not, check the bolt gas rings.
    Does the BCG hit the gas tube? Check if it's centered in the upper & not leaning off to one side, up too high or too low.
    Reinstall the charging handle and repeat the above steps.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sounds to me like the channel that the charging handle rides in is not square to the bolt channel, or a bent/ out of line gas key.
    It wouldn't take much being out of line for either to be enough to cause what you've described.
    It may not even be discernable to the naked eye.

Can you try a different charging handle and bolt combination?
    Swap out both parts for replacements and see if the issue reoccurs.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    **Update**

I received my upper back from PSA. Everything seemed to be in good working order until I took it outside. I had (2) 25rd mags, (1) 20rd mag, and (1) 10rd mag just like before. When I went outside with the 80 rounds the BCG was cycling smoothly. On my first outting with the rifle I didn't do anything special for lube. This time I had a fine layer of red bearing grease all over the moving parts. Everything felt smooth and slick after some grease.

The mags are all magpul, and none of them drop free when empty. I had one failure of the BCG to go into full battery, and by the time I was done with the 80 rounds the charging handle and BCG seem to be doing that same grinding again like things are locking up. Honestly, I'm really disappointed in the rig at this point, and I can't recommend it.
    What did PSA replace or repair?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Upload pics of the 'grinding' BCG/gas key to charging handle and any other scuffed/marked up part on the suspect area... I have a theory but would like to see some pics first.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had the chance to get it out again last night. I cycled the action a few times and threw a scope on it quickly and did a very hasty zeroing of the scope. Popped another 80rds through it last night. Everything cycled, and shot like it should. The bolt and charging handle are still a little sticky when pulled all the way to the rear. I'll run another 80 rds through it when I get a chance, but I was pleasantly surprised at it last night. I'm hoping it doesn't get my hopes up only to break my heart again. The ammo was some cheapo brass cased FMJ ammo and if I get the gun cycling like it should I'll give it a test with some federal gold medal match ammo among a few others.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I put another 80rds of wolf FMJ through it yesterday. The rifle seems to be running fine. Now that I'm a little more confident that it'll run I may give it a detailed cleaning run some match ammo in it to see what it's capable of at some point in the future.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Good to hear. I've been holding off so as not to get too many projects piled up on my plate at once, but those PSA.(and others) in .308 and 6.5 have had me interested for awhile now. I don't need to leave Camp Perry loaded down with gold medals for a 600.00 rifle, but it does need to run right.

Top Bottom