Anyone ever appeal their property tax assessment and win?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Ours jumped about 20% over 2021. All together, our assessment has gone up almost 30% since we purchased the house in 2018. It does seem reasonably in-line with comps. My question is: once the housing bubble bursts in a couple years, will tax assessments drop commensurately?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes, Madison co here. We have dates and places around the county that you can talk to the assessors office after assessments are done.
    A few years sgo, I brought pics of the property and compairables to the meeting. That cut my taxes in half.
    They told the elderly man in front of me they didn't do block assessments, when it was my turn and she looked at my pics, the deck was full of the downstairs drywall, kitchen and bathroom that had been ripped out.
    I asked what assessor looked at this property? She had no answer.
    She changed her tune on the block assessment statement.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ours jumped about 20% over 2021. All together, our assessment has gone up almost 30% since we purchased the house in 2018. It does seem reasonably in-line with comps. My question is: once the housing bubble bursts in a couple years, will tax assessments drop commensurately?
    Over a couple of years I could make that percentage jump make sense in the current market. But sure as heck not in 6 months.

In the 21 years I owned my previous house, my property taxes did go up and down a tad. But that was on a very small house. But they did drop.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    I appealed successfully a number of years ago after discovering they had some sort of materials quality rating higher on my house than the identical house built by the same builder just up the street. Did it all via mail/online.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Ours jumped up a bunch this year as well. We went to the county tax assessor's office. They found a discrepancy and took into consideration our location. It lowered our tax bill by a whole $26.00 a year! My time would have been better spent reloading.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    In addition to the overall valuation look at the underlying details which impact how they value your property based on comparable.

My house was listed with two (2) fireplaces instead of one (1). They had counted the furnace vent as a chimney. They also had the build date off by over two decades so I was able to get that corrected with a copy of the original title history that included the initial purchase.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Going through this right now with form 130...I'm so mad I may not go in to meet with them. We spent less than 10K couple years ago on a pool and deck and small carport and they raised land, home and on improvement they raised it 17K! That was last year....couple weeks ago and they raised everything again including another 11K on improvements and we haven't done any!!!! I wrote on the 130 about this and then said why not just raise everyone property to $1,000,000 call it theft and be done with it. They can only raise taxes so high in accordance to law....so they raise the property value sky high. Feed the Beast.

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Is your township one that passed the fire territory? I think I that alone added 6%.
    That shouldn't affect the assessment though. It could definitely affect the overall tax bill. Our area just passed one. They sold it as "most people are maxed out anyway"...the ones who bore the brunt are blind, elderly, and disabled vets.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    That shouldn't affect the assessment though. It could definitely affect the overall tax bill. Our area just passed one. They sold it as "most people are maxed out anyway"...the ones who bore the brunt are blind, elderly, and disabled vets.
    What did it show up as? I don't see any mention of it, but the Township rate jumped by 5x.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My assessment went up 16.5%. But I've already paid my 2022 property taxes... So next year's taxes will go up with the new assessment.

Let us be thankful, I suppose, for assessment value not being tied to the current housing market. That would put me at another $100k, literally, on top of the current higher assessment.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Don’t expect to see this end anytime soon. Guess who will be standing at the tax sales, millions in hand, ready to buy all of the properties going up for sale because people can’t afford the taxes any longer. The same “people” who have been paying cash, over asking price and sight unseen, driving up the prices.

You will own nothing and you will be happy.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not direct apples to apples but when we bought our place we also bought a neighboring 2 acre lot. It was zoned ag but they rezoned it residential when we bought it. I went down and talked to them and filled out the necessary paperwork and they changed it back to ag.
    A friend ran into this. The sellers had moved out in June taking their horses with them, my friends bought it in late December, in February they got reassessment notice, but the assessment value was less than what they paid so all seemed good. in April they got the tax bill, it nearly doubled, they took the ag exemption away because “no visible at was going on in December“. This bill came after it was too late to appeal the assessment. The assessment should have to have, at least, estimated taxes, similar to how a lender discloses estimated fees, but that never applies to government…

The b-tards took away an exemption during the transfer of the property…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Don’t expect to see this end anytime soon. Guess who will be standing at the tax sales, millions in hand, ready to buy all of the properties going up for sale because people can’t afford the taxes any longer. The same “people” who have been paying cash, over asking price and sight unseen, driving up the prices.

You will own nothing and you will be happy.
    All part of the plan…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mine dropped back on 2010 era. The same comps that push it up can drop it…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Over a couple of years I could make that percentage jump make sense in the current market. But sure as heck not in 6 months.
    Are you aware that flippers are buying new construction homes from production builders and selling them as soon as they are completed for $50,000-$100,000 more than they paid the builder? It really can change a lot in 6 months…

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Our district was targeted for an increase (as told by the gal at the government building). They have a form online you have to fill out to appeal. Moved to my home in 2019 and have had to appeal every year. Successful each time.
    Just got another one for this year. This should be fun. The last round I had to prove they were wrong. We had refinanced in October and got a professional assessment per the process through the bank. The assessment was substantially lower that the state's numbers. The appeal was taken care of in January. Fast forward to the current paper: How my recent assessment go up $40k+ in a few months?

I'm going to request a meeting in front of the board for a detailed explanation if his numbers. That usually backs the dogs off. They don't like having to justify their numbers having never set foot on my property and being shown by a professional they were grossly incorrect.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We refinanced in 2020, imagine that, the assessment for 2021 matched the valuation for refinancing exactly. Roughly a 10% increase from when we bought in 2018. Fortunately they aren't using Zillow's valuation as that is up ~45%. So much for capping the property tax at 1% when home values are going up by that much.
    Post #18
    Pound of flesh.

Top Bottom