Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    What it says above! I fired 2 mags through my 1911 today, and was tinkering with it after I brought her in, and BAM! safety snapped right off of the cross shaft! Suppposed to do some shooting this weekend with a new shooter, and would like to let him shoot my 1911. Anybody in Allen county have a spare they'd sell me?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    No, I've never had that happen. What type 1911? Also, the safety on a 1911 is a part that must be correctly fit so finding a used one that will work is probably not too likely. On the plus side, they are fairly cheap and a good gunsmith can fit one pretty quickly if your gun is out of warranty.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure if you are aware but it's a fitted part. I mean...... I know you didn't ask if it was fitted.....but......well.......it has to be fitted..........just sayin........if somebody has one......you'll have to pay a gunsmith.......ya know......cause it's fitted.........that is to say.....you must.....aaaaaa....... fit it....to your gun........not like......someone else's......cause it's fitted. But to ANSWER your question, no I don't have a spare safety.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Lol! Thanks folks. I know they are fitted to the specific hammer and sear. I can handle that part. Just seeing if someone local has a spare they'd let me replace/buy from them, so I can have her up and running by Saturday, as I doubt I can get one local, and won't pay $25 to overnight a $25 part!

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If you were closer to Indianapolis I could point you in the right direction. Elmores guns in Greenwood stocks about every replacement part for a 1911 in Ed Brown and Wilson Combat.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    If you were closer to Indianapolis I could point you in the right direction. Elmores guns in Greenwood stocks about every replacement part for a 1911 in Ed Brown and Wilson Combat.
    I know there are a few options down there. We have enough gun stores up here that you'd think SOMEBODY would stock parts! At LEAST the standardized parts like 1911, AR15, etc!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Just out of curiosity, what brand 1911 was this?
    With your sig being "1911 snob", I'd rather not say! Lol! Just kidding! It's my ATI Commander.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/314654-gunsmithing-practice-run-my-next-1911-a.html
    I will say that the frame and slide are great, while The small parts have shown lack of quality. Customer service, while others have knocked them, has been great for me! They have sent me everything I've asked for/ had issue with, free of charge. What else can one ask for, in a $450 1911!?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    With your sig being "1911 snob", I'd rather not say! Lol! Just kidding! It's my ATI Commander.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/314654-gunsmithing-practice-run-my-next-1911-a.html
    I will say that the frame and slide are great, while The small parts have shown lack of quality. Customer service, while others have knocked them, has been great for me! They have sent me everything I've asked for/ had issue with, free of charge. What else can one ask for, in a $450 1911!?

A safety that doesn't break. :)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Dare I say that this gun has better frame to slide fit than ANY Springfield or colt I've EVER seen!? I dare! It does! If I wanted to pay too much money for a poorly fit gun, it's easy enough to find one!
    I think as soon as I replace any sub-par parts, I'll have $700 in a gun that's better than a $1000 Kimber! Come shoot with me! I'll prove it!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Dare I say that this gun has better frame to slide fit than ANY Springfield or colt I've EVER seen!? I dare! It does! If I wanted to pay too much money for a poorly fit gun, it's easy enough to find one!
    I think as soon as I replace any sub-par parts, I'll have $700 in a gun that's better than a $1000 Kimber! Come shoot with me! I'll prove it!

$1000 is just entry level you need to work on. :)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Haven't even come close to that $1000 mark yet! I imagine when I do, you'll never have an excuse to turn your nose up!...Snob!
    nazi-troll.jpg

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Some people just like pissing money away, helps them feel superior. "Hey guys check out my $7000 1911 it's just like your $1000 1911 except for the mammoth tusk grips"

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I had the MIM plunger for the firing pin block on a Kimber TLE break in half. Turned that pretty Pistol into an expensive paperweight. The rear sight had to be removed in order to replace it. What a pain.
    Since then, I prefer a 70 series without the extra stuff to make my pistol safer and (sometimes) less reliable. I also make it a point to try and replace cast or MIM parts that are critical to the pistols operation with tool steel parts.

Top Bottom