Anyone ever get tired of a never ending pile of brass?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I bought my last 223 supplies in bulk. I've been loading for the last few weeks and it seems like the pile of brass is never going to end. I can see my bullets, powder and primers dwindling though.:(

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Hang in there, it will disappear. I haven't made a bulk buy of 5.56 brass for about a year, and I can see the end in sight. Too bad my 30-06 or 9mm didn't last that long:(

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I know the feeling. Bad part for me is I haven't set up my reloading bench since completing the new house. Still on the list of projects to finish up.

I finally got mine set up for the most part and have been plugging away at it. Pretty bad when an LNL AP is barely making a dent in it.

All I know is, from now on, the ONLY 223 brass I will buy again is Remington brand. I don't care if I have to pay an extra $20-30 per k. I'm reaming the pockets and they are still a pain to prime. RP brass, they prime like butter.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I finally got mine set up for the most part and have been plugging away at it. Pretty bad when an LNL AP is barely making a dent in it.

All I know is, from now on, the ONLY 223 brass I will buy again is Remington brand. I don't care if I have to pay an extra $20-30 per k. I'm reaming the pockets and they are still a pain to prime. RP brass, they prime like butter.

Yuk. Loaded any Partisa Privi brass? Have some that I'm thinking of using for some of my "accurized" loads.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I get sad when all my brass is gone, and I don't have anything left to load. I totally agree with you about the pocket reaming....that sucks! Seeing my primers and powder running out sucks too. Varget sure seems to go fast when I sit down to load 223.

Where are you getting your bulk brass from?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I really enjoy loading its the prep work that gets to me...lubeing, deprimeing,sizeing, belling, primeing. In the last week I've deprimed a 5 gal bucket of 9mm, now I get to bell them all

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I get sad when all my brass is gone, and I don't have anything left to load. I totally agree with you about the pocket reaming....that sucks! Seeing my primers and powder running out sucks too. Varget sure seems to go fast when I sit down to load 223.

Where are you getting your bulk brass from?

I got this brass a couple years ago. Don't remember for sure where I got it. It's all LC. The guy sets up at Knob Creek and it's not Hi-tech.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I bought my last 223 supplies in bulk. I've been loading for the last few weeks and it seems like the pile of brass is never going to end. I can see my bullets, powder and primers dwindling though.:(

Same here. I am about to finish up on 2k of 77 grn. Nosler loads. Probably not a lot to some people but will last me a while.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I enjoy all the prep work believe it or not. I have a 5 gallon bucket of LC 5.56 brass and I just do each step to the whole bucket before moving to the next. I am about to wear out my 6.5 TCU die necking them all up. The fireforming is the pay off of all that hardwork.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't have a lot by any means but have a lot just for one range trip, had a lot trip before that but gave it to a buddy on here.

I have a few 5 gallon buckets laying around..... I think I am going to start storing the brass in them and depending on how much I start collecting may get a 55 gal drum for mass mixed storage.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, finally finished that run of 223. Other than the 50 or so test fired pieces, I'm now out of brass. Now, I'm down to about 2-300 bullets and 900 primers. Can I resist the urge to buy more brass? If I buy more brass, then I'm going to need more bullets. If I buy more bullets, then I'm going to need more primers.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Buy 'em when you find 'em on sale

Buy bullets now! Prices are going to go up, if they haven't already, because copper hit an all-time high recently. A retailer on another board advised last month his supplier told him to look for an increase soon.

There's no such thing as too many primers! I think I'm down to about 2500 and about to buy more.

As for brass......... I've got enough .223 brass I thought about selling some a while back. Thought about it, laughed about it, and forgot about it. Around 500 in the cleaning process as I type. 6 large coffee cans (about 400 each) plus a bag of 1K ready to be primed and loaded. 1200 loaded. A lot of my .204 and all my .17 Fireball brass is loaded. Might make it through the first couple of trips out west! :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I been working on a couple thousand 223 range pick ups for a week or more now. About half of them are ready for powder and bullets.

I prime with the Lee auto prime and know right away if there's a problem child in there. I keep a 11/64 drill bit there to check for pocket size and the next size bigger to champher out any burr left by the 11/64. I just twist it in by hand to take out any pocket crimp or any thing. Finish it with a twist of the neck deburr tool and prime it.

I'll check and trim the case AOL on ten or so and then prime them and throw them in an orange juice bottle. 300 cases fit in a bottle and at that point all the PITA work is done. It is wearing on me but I just want all those cases finished at least to the point of ready to start expirimenting with best loads.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Just got through throwing the last 250 pieces of SBS08 .308 of full length resized brass in the tumbler, after I had used the Sinclair primer pocket depth uniformer, reamed all the flash holes, and brushed the necks on a little over 1000. Now to brush all the necks again, trim all of them to uniform length, de-burr the outside of the cast mouths, VLD chamfer the inside of the case mouths, run them all through a .308 neck sizer without the expander ball [increase the neck tension for use in my M1A], prime them with #34 primers, then rest for a while. Then charge them with 39.9 grains of CMR-100 [equivalent of 42/4895], top them off with some Noslers 168 HPBT I got on sale. I'll be so glad when it's over.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I'm still new to reloading so the 1000 once fired 40 brass I bought looks like an long road ahead of me on my Rockchucker. Can't imagine having buckets full of brass to reload.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I broke my Lee Auto-Prime on these 223's.

I broke the handle off of mine on some Radway Green brass..... they replaced it no questions asked. You gotta love Lee.

I was going to buy a new one at Cheeks but they were out, and 3 days later the Lee shipment arrived. They even sent me a few of the dowel pins for the decapper die too.

I still have 2500 5.56 brass that is prepped and ready to load, I didnt get to it over the winter like I usually do. And I need 1k more bullets too..

Top Bottom