Anyone ever have a significant other buy a gun for you? How did it go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Wife was complaining that I was hard to buy for because I research the crap out of all of my purchases before finding it as cheap as I can online. Well, she's not too far from the truth, but I still told her should could surprise me with almost any gun and I'd be happy to have it and would keep it forever. After saying that, I realized that she might go get me a Hi Point or even worse, a Glock :stickpoke:.

So how did you lady/man do when buying you a gun? If they did well, how did they know what to get you?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have kind of wondered if it's not in the "straw purchase" category? Screw it if it is! :laugh: I hope you get something really cool!!

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    not really the significant other you are talking about , but My father bought me a desert eagle in 44 magnum for my 40th birthday. went smooth as peanut butter.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I haven't received one personally but I've known some people who did. Many times the woman gets what the man wouldn't pick, I've seen this with coworkers. A few guys even tried to get my sis to buy my bro in law a certain gun that I wouldn't recommend but luckily she asked me and I led her in the right direction.

mickar15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Brownsburg
    My wife has bought me two hand guns. Both were a surprise and both were winners. She talked to my son before buying, and she also knew what I had been looking at.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    We got poor a couple years back and I sold a rifle to get by. My wife remembered and got me a rifle for my 50th birthday last year. Now, she never did get into the whole "firearms" thing, despite marrying a soldier, so she doesn't really know what is good or not. She did remember (well, she asked our son) that the rifle I sold was a .308, so that's what she got me. A Savage Axis, in .308. Flimsy stock, skinny barrel, magazine that locks in with a plastic tab... However, I have been reading good things about this "starter" rifle and Savage had made a good name for itself lately with very good guns for the money. The Axis seems to enjoy good aftermarket support and has a cult following online. You can't tell your wife you want a better gun, so I'm gonna build it up. I have a laminated wood stock on order now from Boyds. I also have a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T to put on it. I know, way overkill for a $300 gun, but it was left over from the one I sold. I'll have the barrel shortened and re-crowned, Have the bolt spiral fluted, and fitted with a nicer bolt handle. I'll drop in a better trigger and see what she can do.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    My wife hunts with a circuit judge in 44mag. When were looking for one in 44, we found the one she bought. She looked it over, did the "look down the sights" thing, then she handed it to me, wanted me to look it over. I did and noticed that the cylinder wouldn't lock up. They sent it back the the factory to be fixed

When it came back, we both went to get it. We got there, I checked it out and it was fixed. I handed it back to her to look at one more time and she was good with it. They get out the 4473 and she starts to fill it out, then a guy behind the counter said she can't do that. Upon asking why?, he says that it would be a straw purchase. Said that because I looked at it, then I had to buy it. Well, I said that we both have looked at it, and it was hers, she was going to carry it out, she was going to hunt with it, and she was going to own it. That didn't matter to them. I told them that if I did the 4473, then it would be a straw sale. Still didn't matter to them. So, I did the paperwork, she got out her debit card and paid for it, she carried it out, and she is the only one that uses it.

I tried, they insisted. If someone gets in a jam for that one, it's on them.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My wife hunts with a circuit judge in 44mag. When were looking for one in 44, we found the one she bought. She looked it over, did the "look down the sights" thing, then she handed it to me, wanted me to look it over. I did and noticed that the cylinder wouldn't lock up. They sent it back the the factory to be fixed

When it came back, we both went to get it. We got there, I checked it out and it was fixed. I handed it back to her to look at one more time and she was good with it. They get out the 4473 and she starts to fill it out, then a guy behind the counter said she can't do that. Upon asking why?, he says that it would be a straw purchase. Said that because I looked at it, then I had to buy it. Well, I said that we both have looked at it, and it was hers, she was going to carry it out, she was going to hunt with it, and she was going to own it. That didn't matter to them. I told them that if I did the 4473, then it would be a straw sale. Still didn't matter to them. So, I did the paperwork, she got out her debit card and paid for it, she carried it out, and she is the only one that uses it.

Wowza! :n00b:

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    we have the same issue as the OP, and that's regardless of the hobby she does a great job buying me gifts and usually are surprises... I have however purchased several guns "for her" , only 1 did I actually wrap and give as a gift.

jscottcmby29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My wife bought me a Chinese type 53 that looked like it was drug behind the car on the way home. Lol. But any woman who will buy me a gun is alright in my book.:)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I would have have walked out of there without doing business with them just because I refuse to give idiots any patronage. What a bunch of morons.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Last birthday:

8f3c0a0d324f2e9582b903bb2d9be061_zps5f2d16c5.jpg

Top Bottom