Anyone ever shoot a hole in their house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I guess I just don't get it. I have no training (plan on getting some ASAP) but have been around guns my entire life. Even after I take a gun apart for cleaning and reassemble it, I ALWAYS check to make sure there isn't a round in there before I test fire for function. I know there isn't a round in there because I just had the thing apart and put it back together, a round didn't magically jump in there while I wasn't looking...but it is just good practice. Unless at a range or in self-defense, never pull the trigger without checking the chamber first.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the one I saw happen was caused largely by the idea that carrying with an empty chamber is somehow safer. The person carrying the gun was comfortable knowing there was not a round in the chamber. Then he went to demonstrate something and did a cursory check on his 'safe' weapon and chambered a round instead of clearing it. If he carried with one in the chamber, he would most likely have been less comfortable with the condition of the gun and would have put more thought into the need to make it safe. As it was, he thought it already safe so he subconsciously thought it just needed checked to make sure the chamber was empty. This is why the rule that 'The gun is always loaded' is important. You don't have two ways of handling guns, only one.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I think the one I saw happen was caused largely by the idea that carrying with an empty chamber is somehow safer. The person carrying the gun was comfortable knowing there was not a round in the chamber. Then he went to demonstrate something and did a cursory check on his 'safe' weapon and chambered a round instead of clearing it. If he carried with one in the chamber, he would most likely have been less comfortable with the condition of the gun and would have put more thought into the need to make it safe. As it was, he thought it already safe so he subconsciously thought it just needed checked to make sure the chamber was empty. This is why the rule that 'The gun is always loaded' is important. You don't have two ways of handling guns, only one.

Exactly.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Cut the siding out and replace it with new stuff. Then take the shot up siding, frame it and write the 4 Rules underneath. Then hang it on the wall.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Cut the siding out and replace it with new stuff. Then take the shot up siding, frame it and write the 4 Rules underneath. Then hang it on the wall.

Back in the '80s, I was working as a sheetmetal mechanic on 747s out of San Francisco and we had one of our mechanics put a hole in the belly skin of a 747 that was in for an overhaul. We chain drilled the puncture out and saved it after the repair was done. Then it was mounted to a plaque and presented to him at briefing one night. It served as a reminder to everyone to be careful with the maintenance stands around the aircraft. The idea above would serve the same purpose.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I have 4 holes in my house. One from a stuck round in the chamber on a Ruger MKII that I did not check before pulling the trigger. Barely missed my foot on that one.

The other 3 were intentional!

Chuck

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Still a ND...your fault or not. In the case you implied, it's a manufacture defect, thus a manufacture ND. If you owned the gun for a while and it goes off, it's your ND for not regularly inspecting and making repairs prior to loading the gun.

So there is no such thing as ADs? You are very mistaken.

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    We need this threat renamed...anyone ever kill a loved one by accident? If a hole is the only thing you came away with, you are very lucky, fortunate, blessed, etc...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My mom had me tested

gual_30f2ho7rg7hovx2lch.jpg

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I have a particular family member that has had a great run with his M/L.
    On one occasion he managed to get the ramrod stuck in the barrel, he thought he would fire it and it would lightly come out, hit the new couch and fall to the floor. Well it did come out and it went thru the new couch and into the back of the refrigerator on the other side of the wall.
    On another occasion he had just got done hunting and was riding in a truck. He somehow forgot to remove the primer and bang. Hole in the floorboard of the truck and caught the carpet and insulation on fire.

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    I read a story where Jeff Cooper shot the neighbors gas meter with a 44 mag. So it can happen to anyone. I shot the bathroom floor with a pellet gun, very expensive.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a feeling that there are more people who have shot holes in their walls than who are willing to tell the tale on INGO. :)

There are plenty enough "oops, this is wut ah shot," posts for the OP, his ND'ing buddy and who knows how many lurkers to marginalize this potentially fatal problem. Folks are happy to chime in because it make them feel better about their foolish error, when they knew better. One doesn't have to work so hard to fix their irresponsible behavior if "everyone does it?" :rolleyes:

Sometimes we over-share.
    Don't forget that INGO is not only read by gun lovers. This is a regular source of fuel for the anti's also. Couple clicks brings them right on in to capture info about bubba nearly shooting the baby while "cleaning his gun."

Last edited:
    Top Bottom