• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    A co-worker took a train with her boyfriend to Chicago and just raved about the experience. I'd never priced it out before, but just priced out a trip for 2 adults/3 children for a trip in October to leave on a Monday morning and return Saturday night and it comes to $151.20 with AAA discount for all of us.

No gas, no $40/day parking, no traffic...is there anything I'm overlooking here before I book? Obviously we'd be stuck taking public transportation that I'd need to research before getting there or a taxi, but seems like money well spent to me.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've taken it before, but its been years. At the time the pure inconvenience of the schedule it was running made it very difficult to get much value out of it (it really didn't work at all for a weekend trip). If it fits your schedule, you'll probably enjoy it. As an alternate, when my wife decides that we just MUST go to Chicago for the weekend, we drive up to either the Hammond or East Chicago South Shore station and take the train in from there for $8/person, free parking at the station.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My GF and I used to do it all the time for "dates". It was a blast and a constant party to and fro. The last two times we took it there were trouble makers and being unarmed I was uncomfortable so we cut it out of our agenda.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Al's #1 and Portillos Italian Beef, Ginos East, Giordanos, and taking the kids to the museums mostly, maybe hitting up Navy Pier for a day as well.

I like the Museums and Aquarium, as well as flat tops....but not enough to step into obamaland. Good luck and travel safe!

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    The wife and I took Amtrak up there about a year and a half ago with a 9 month old and an 8 year old. 6AM departure and midnight return, IIRC. Except for the regular riff-raff found downtown at those hours, it went smooth.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why the hell would you go to Chicago?

This. There's nothing in Chicago that I can't do somewhere else. Aquarium? Newport. Museums? Indy, Cincinatti, Louisville. Restaurants? Indy or Louisville.

Unless I really need one of those "newspapers" homeless people try to shove into your hand and then guilt you to "buy" or guys selling tube socks in the intersections, I'll pass on the Chicago experience.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    This. There's nothing in Chicago that I can't do somewhere else. Aquarium? Newport. Museums? Indy, Cincinatti, Louisville. Restaurants? Indy or Louisville.

Unless I really need one of those "newspapers" homeless people try to shove into your hand and then guilt you to "buy" or guys selling tube socks in the intersections, I'll pass on the Chicago experience.

Oh come on now. While I am very glad that I moved out of Chicago 20 years ago there is no comparison when it comes to museums or restaurants. Wrigley Field? Navy Pier? Oak Street Beach? Portillos? Hancock Tower? Da Bears? Cicero?( just threw that in to see if anyone was paying attention), Lincoln Park? The "El", Second City?

maddawg138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    La Porte
    depending on the public transportation depends on how much more you will spend (outside of food etc)

IIRC the "El" is like $2.25 for one way per person (since i typically go to Cubs games in Chicago i only spend like $5.50)

I don't typically take a taxi so not sure how much that is or how much taking a bus would be. But honestly walking around is best bet IMO as you can see all the little things while walking. Only thing that sucks about walking is having to deal with the "needy" people who try to sell you stuff and give you random pamphlets to find God or whatever but I just ignore them and keep on walking.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    John Fisher---The Cicero reference rings true to me. The Science museum is ok for one or two visits...but going back in time on Cermac Ave in Cicero where my Mother grew up in the 1920's, and visiting some of the old Czech neighborhoods that have really improved in appearance since those early days. Our usual food stop if we go to that city is at Freddies Deli and Pizza at 16th and 61st. To hell with downtown (in almost every city in the country)....but Cicero is worth a visit and a meal or two.

Fact is we avoid Chicago by 90 miles or so when we go to visit family in Wisconsin....using I-74 to I-39 north to the Madison/Dells area. No Chicago BS until you get to Rockford...and then only a short distance.

buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    My wife & I took Amtrak from Southbend to Chicago just before Mem Day. Train was late going & comming. Take something todo & snacks. Didn't seem to be any doctors or Lawyers on the train. But I felt safe. For me it was a no carry zone. I would do it again

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Been a while since I took the train, but I have been to Navy Pier and other downtown Chicago locations and never felt unsafe. There are parts of town, like any town, where you do not want to go, but in the area with lots of restaurants and such there is always a lot of people out, even at night. Never had an issue.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    In my opinion, any money spent to go anywhere near the commie place called Chicago as well as the state it is located in, is not money well spent. But if it floats your boat, go for it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oh come on now. While I am very glad that I moved out of Chicago 20 years ago there is no comparison when it comes to museums or restaurants. Wrigley Field? Navy Pier? Oak Street Beach? Portillos? Hancock Tower? Da Bears? Cicero?( just threw that in to see if anyone was paying attention), Lincoln Park? The "El", Second City?

If someone is interested in Wrigley Field or Da Bears, then obviously Chicago holds something for them. I don't. As stated, there is nothing in Chicago that I am interested in that I can't find elsewhere. I've found plenty of interesting museums and fantastic restaurants elsewhere.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    The wife and I took Amtrak up there about a year and a half ago with a 9 month old and an 8 year old. 6AM departure and midnight return, IIRC. Except for the regular riff-raff found downtown at those hours, it went smooth.

This seems to be the schedule I'm looking at as well. I couldn't pay for the parking for the cost of the train, let alone the gas on top of it.

Top Bottom