Anyone familiar w/Wild Game Innovation Trail Cams? Or just trail cams in general

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    There have been a lot of break-ins in my area lately and I've decided to buy a couple trail cameras to setup on my property for additional security. I don't hunt so I'm not familiar with these things at all, but I've been doing some research and I'm liking the Wild Game Innovations Red 6 camera. It has 6.0mp quality and a maximum range of 50ft, which would be plenty for my locations. It's a fairly new camera so there aren't many reviews on it, I did learn that it takes "c" sized batteries that people seem to frown upon for some reason. Here's a link to the camera

n6 Red 6.0 Megapixel Infrared Digital Scouting Camera

If anybody is familiar with these cameras could you please give me your impressions of it? Or if anyone has a suggestion for another camera, I'd love to hear them too. I'm mainly looking for good quality camera that will last me a few years, 3.0mp or higher resolution pics, something that has a wide range (to cover my driveway), and under $100. Thanks everybody :ingo:

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I have become very partial to the SpyPoint trail cameras.I have a SpyPoint G4 and love it..
    It is 4.0mp,has 36 infrared LED's,Can either shoot pictures or video.You can set it up to shoot up to a 4 shot pic burst,or all the way up to a 90sec video's.Takes 6 AA batteries.I have had the same batteries in mine for 2 1/2 months now with well over a thousand pics taken and close to 250 90sec video's and have only used 10% of the battery life.The cam is very small and lightweight and also camouflaged.
    Being only 4.0mp I am still happy with the pic quality.My step-dad has a Primos 35 and we put it on the same tree as mine to do a quality comparison.The Primos took a lot fewer pictures and the pic quality was not that good either not to mention it's big and heavy compared to the SpyPoint G4.The Primos does have the moon phase and temp on each picture though and the G4 does not.It only has date and time

Gander has it on sale right now for $99
    Gander Mountain® > Spypoint G4 Game Camera - Hunting > Game Cameras > Cameras > Trail Cameras :

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I know I had the Moultrie game spy 4.0 for about a year, then the digital display went away. The company replaced it with a 9.0 with no questions asked. I thought that was cool but here it is 8 months later and the 9.0's display is starting to distort. No more Moultries for me. I'm fed up with them.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I had the same thing happen after 6 months with 4 Wildgame's ir4c cameras. They replaced them, and the 4 replacements are now down with the same problem.

Had 1 of 2 Primos 35 cameras lose its flash. Replacement arrived with a dead flash.

But 4 Spypoint G4s soldier on.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    How does the 4 shot burst work? Does it take a shot burst, wait a few seconds and then another 4 shot burst?

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    How does the 4 shot burst work? Does it take a shot burst, wait a few seconds and then another 4 shot burst?
    You can set it to shoot burst of 2,3,or 4 pictures and they are taken roughly 10 seconds apart from each other when using the G4

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have had trouble with my Cuddeback. I would not buy another one.
    The 1st. one worked great for a year. I left it out year round. Then it crapped out on me. Warrenty got me anotherone for 100 bucks. That one was flawed to begin with. Sent it back and they sent me another one. So far it's working.
    I wasn't impressed with cuddebck.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I purchase some Moultrie cameras last year to use in Canada. While the bears stole one of my cameras, I got some nice photos from the others. The only downside I have encountered with the Moultrie brand is that if there isn't good lighting (during daylight hours) it takes black & white photos. However, the night shots were fantastic. Other than that one glitch, I haven't had any problems with this particular brand.

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Y'all sold me on the Spypoint. I have the 5mp model coming soon.

I like my Primus Truthcam 35 ok for what I paid for it, but I want a little better to add to the security/gamecam mix.

Let me know how you like it as I am ready to add another SpyPoint too the stable

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    You can get them from Gander Mountain or go direct to Spy Point. I have the older Spy Point FL-A. Have had it for 2 years still works great. Plus you can get updates direct from Spy point to your camera for free. Just hook it up to your computer and download.

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I had the same thing happen after 6 months with 4 Wildgame's ir4c cameras. They replaced them, and the 4 replacements are now down with the same problem.

Had 1 of 2 Primos 35 cameras lose its flash. Replacement arrived with a dead flash.

But 4 Spypoint G4s soldier on.

I have three IR4s, two are the IR4C and they both have issues. I have a black one and it's been no problem ever. They replaced one IR4C last year and now both the replacement and the original are not displaying correctly nor are they taking photos. Not pleased with the IR4C. I think I'll be going a different direction with future purchases per recommendations from this thread.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ive had a $50 WGI trailcam that I bought back in mid summer last year. Its been in the woods ever since and hasnt failed me yet. I change the batteries when it needs it and swap out memory cards when I feel like looking at the pics. The pics are decent, especially night ones. Have had some that were blurrs but not alot. I have mine set on 1 pic per 30 seconds I believe.

SeaseFire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield
    I've not had a Spypoint, but after reading some of the comments, may try it out.

I've used Primos Truth Cam 45 for a couple years, but they were large and bulky, and the D batteries can get expensive and wasn't all that happy with the battery life. After the second year with one of them, it started taking pictures every couple minutes (nothing triggered it) and would go through 4 D batteries in less than a months time. Also, the camo skin faded greatly even though I kept them in the woods, so taped them up and did a custom paint job before using them a third year (nothing like a lime green camera to stick out on a tree).

I've used the Moultrie camera as well, and as stated previously, it would take white pictures during the early morning and late evening hours when the sun was in an awkward position (I researched online and found that it was a light filter issue and could be corrected by taking pictures at the sun so it would adjust itself).

My current favorite is a Bushnell Trophy Cam because it's small and only takes 4 AA batteries (+6 months battery life). All of the cameras listed above can change between video and pictures, as well as change pixel and picture bursts, and show temps and moon phases. If you're using for home surveillance, I would recommend a security box.

Top Bottom