Anyone going to try hitting "running" deer with new 5 Cartridge rifles this Fall

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    You know in some parts of the country shooting at running deer is the norm, not everyone sits in treestands. There are volumes written about snapshooting deer. Stillhunting and tracking deer and then shooting them when you put them up is how most deer used to be shot. It's all about practice. Spend all year plinking moving ground squirrels and jackrabbits with a 22 like some old guys I knew, and when fall came, shooting moving deer and elk translated nicely. When you're used to shooting grey diggers a deer's vitals is a huge target!

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    You know in some parts of the country shooting at running deer is the norm, not everyone sits in treestands. There are volumes written about snapshooting deer. Stillhunting and tracking deer and then shooting them when you put them up is how most deer used to be shot. It's all about practice. Spend all year plinking moving ground squirrels and jackrabbits with a 22 like some old guys I knew, and when fall came, shooting moving deer and elk translated nicely. When you're used to shooting grey diggers a deer's vitals is a huge target!

True, true and true.

But what is also true is, there are alot of people out there hunting deer every year.... that CAN'T SHOOT worth a damn. I sure don't want to be hunting on the same piece of land, with any of them who are carrying .30-06 or .308 rifles.... maybe even 'autos' , who are 'swing' shooting at deer.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    A scoped high powered rifle is geared to precise accurate shots capable of long ranges, not quite the proper tool for your topic. If you want to try to shoot running deer with a HPR think again. I am not going to lose a newly given right, which had much opposition due to safety concerns, because you or anyone makes an accident.

Stick to your bead shotgun if you want to turn deer hunting into clay bird shooting. BTW you mentioned you couldn't do it, as in running deer, with a shotgun. Was it because you missed or just never tried?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    In the Dakotas, the vast majority of deer hunting is push hunting tree rows and CRP. Standing shots are the exception out there and in much of the west. I shot a lot of deer in my youth and not a one of them was unaware of my presence; a couple were at a flat out run. I think the first unspooked deer I shot was in Michigan in my 20s and by then I was well into the double digits on deer taken. When you spend much of the year dumping running cottontails and jackrabbits with a rifle, swinging on a deer isn't some huge feat.

I don't push hunt in Indiana because there are too many people and too little land. That said, there are a few places I hunt where I would have no hesitation taking a running shot if the range and angle were right. Swinging a scoped rifle on a moving target is one of the finest skills a rifleman can have IMO. Most don't bother to put the work in in this part of the country though.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    In the Dakotas, the vast majority of deer hunting is push hunting tree rows and CRP. Standing shots are the exception out there and in much of the west. I shot a lot of deer in my youth and not a one of them was unaware of my presence; a couple were at a flat out run. I think the first unspooked deer I shot was in Michigan in my 20s and by then I was well into the double digits on deer taken. When you spend much of the year dumping running cottontails and jackrabbits with a rifle, swinging on a deer isn't some huge feat.

I don't push hunt in Indiana because there are too many people and too little land. That said, there are a few places I hunt where I would have no hesitation taking a running shot if the range and angle were right. Swinging a scoped rifle on a moving target is one of the finest skills a rifleman can have IMO. Most don't bother to put the work in in this part of the country though.

Let's look at an example. Ok, you are confident that you have the experience to take a clear shot on a running deer. That opportunity presents itself, say, on opening day. From your position, the deer is running east-to-west... and thus, your shot would be to the north, to hit the deer (which you may well be capable of). HOWEVER, 40 yards to your northeast, is a relatively novice hunter... and he too, decides to take a running shot, AT THE SAME DEER. After all, it's his second or third year hunting deer, and he feels confident... and knows he may not see another buck, all season.
    Do you really feel comfortable, telling him, here in this thread, that you aren't afraid... given you are just 40-50 yards to his south, as he shoots at a running deer with his .308 rifle????

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Depends on the mover. Bounding? Heck no.
    Straight line, close (even with the afterburners aglow)............done it.
    I have a half dozen of them under my belt.
    Have missed only one. And if not for a big tree I'd have nailed her too.
    Shoot with both eyes open and if right handed, point your left foot where the shot will connect. Should have you shooting in the middle of your swing.........smooth.

IMHO if you suck on birds or rabbits, proly need to avoid movers on deer.

Proper gun fit, with a low power scope..........should make things easier.

I loved shooting movers at old archery ranges. There with compound and shot distances to 60 yards (old IBO)............there was no swing through. You got to watch a practice run, watched where kill passed over the backstop, picked a spot and shot when you thought the time was right. Having others shoot similar gear, you could learn from their shots. But that is a game, and actually static in shooting it.

Can get quite good at it. FWIW nobody ever changed cable angles to change speeds.

My first deer ever was taken on the trot, with a bow. Right to left though (not as easy for right hander). Distance was 21 yards or less. My first recurve deer was left to right, smoked him (17 yards). Those were swing through and fluid shots. Different. Like throwing a baseball to shortstop running to cover 2nd.

BTW that was a practiced shot, as I bowfished a containment area with untethered carbons. Water splash gave immediate feedback and learned the lead rather quickly. Walleye fishermen had a bad day, place loaded with carp, they ran them like beagles for us.
    Bud and I killed 150 (75 each) in less than 3 hrs. Proly had 40 or so spectators. Best dayam day of bowfishing I ever had.

That buck came trotting about the same speed as a spooked carp at the back wall..........or so it looked like. Results confirmed it.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Up close and in right body position, will do it.
    If uncomfortable in body or mind, even if close...........let it pass.
    I've hit em good, more than once, on a couple of occasions.
    Odd maybe, but you know you got 'em before you touch it off.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I do OK on doves (actually better than OK).
    If I think about it, I'll flub it. So just focus on the target and shoot it.
    Same for deer on the move up close.
    Maybe that's the key? I dunno. I just do and it works.
    I REALLY like a scope that is of low power. 1 or 1.5X is ideal. 2X is doable.
    4x has worked for me, but am older now and need more help I'm thinking.
    Never tried to shoot between trees or other, just tracked the target and when lead was right shot.
    Maybe I'm just lucky.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have shot deer close to 200 yards (not moving- only do that when they are close).
    Up close (even when still) is way more exciting.

If I could take my bow deer at 15 yards from now on, and my gun deer at 50 max.............I'd be thrilled.
    Just like being closer these days, feels more like hunting and less like shooting.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Anybody remember "Bowhunting October Whitetails" where Barry nails a mover perfectly and looks back at the camera and does the eyebrow wiggle?
    That was CLASSIC! I rolled off the couch when he did that!

Ever watch Tim Wells vids? That dude is a freakin' alien!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    First started hunting in PA, 1968
    doubt if you have hunted in as many states
    or collected as much big game or small game.
    Thankful for a great occupation and finances to hunt often.
    some will always be more skillful and experienced.:rockwoot:

BTW: Skeet for those who don't know or have never shot the #1 high house.

I bow in your presence. ....

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    First started hunting in PA, 1968
    doubt if you have hunted in as many states
    or collected as much big game or small game.
    Thankful for a great occupation and finances to hunt often.
    some will always be more skillful and experienced.:rockwoot:

BTW: Skeet for those who don't know or have never shot the #1 high house.

Funny, your profile says since 1964. ​So which is it?!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Lol, have to love a good INGO dick measuring contest. Well, I hunted in one more state and shot two more deer than any of the rest of you, so my opinion counts more.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Lol, have to love a good INGO dick measuring contest. Well, I hunted in one more state and shot two more deer than any of the rest of you, so my opinion counts more.

My thoughts exactly. There's a HUGE Johnson safe for sale if you're measuring Johnsons this morning.
    And I ain't a tellin' How many or how 'til the statute of limitations runs out in my back yard.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I can honestly say that I've never shot a running deer. In fact, I don't recall ever shooting any walking ones either. If they are moving, I stop them first -- gun or bow. I've also never shot any deer in the head or neck, nor taken any quartering-to shots. The majority of my firearms deer, by far, have been taken at less than 50 yards, and my farthest initial shot at a deer with a bow is 31 yards (I've put a second arrow into two deer beyond that.) Deer are still plentiful in my area, so no need for desperation shots.

Here's a good example from 5 years ago:

https://youtu.be/nOQhD78k-cM

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I've hunted several states and countries, but haven't taken any running shots. BUT, I'm a bow hunter. Nearly all my kills are bow and arrow, some meat kills are with shotgun or rifle. I'm not comfortable taking a running shot. Was chastised in South Africa for not taking a brisk walking shot with my bow at an Impala, but we recovered. Three days later I had my Impala on my terms.

By the way, I consider myself a fine tracker. Those kids in SA put me to shame. They are nothing short of incredible trackers.

Top Bottom