Anyone going to try hitting "running" deer with new 5 Cartridge rifles this Fall

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Do you really feel comfortable, telling him, here in this thread, that you aren't afraid... given you are just 40-50 yards to his south, as he shoots at a running deer with his .308 rifle????

No more uncomfortable than if he was using a shotgun or PCR or heck even a muzzle loader.

Point is, my answer is probably NO. Not because I can,t reliably put them down running, but I doubt that I will put a red dot on a 300 WM AND I still believe that we will have to be more responsible with rifles than with one oz foster styled slugs. A 1oz lead slug aimed down at the earth from a stand or perfectly horizontally is going to have very limited ability to travel beyond a safe range

You just might be surprised. Here is a study you might be interested in. Fired perfectly horizontally a 1 oz foster slug will travel farther than a 30-06.
    Study: Shotguns not safer for deer hunting - tribunedigital-mcall

I thought the question from the OP was would "I" be comfortable taking a moving shot? If the novice doesn't know I'm there, it doesn't matter if the deer is moving or not, I'm equally screwed.

Pretty much.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    No more uncomfortable than if he was using a shotgun or PCR or heck even a muzzle loader.

You just might be surprised. Here is a study you might be interested in. Fired perfectly horizontally a 1 oz foster slug will travel farther than a 30-06.

Pretty much.
    Please note that I did specify a 1 oz foster style lead slug. The shotgun in your "study" is firing sabot ammunition. Very, very different.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    'll
    I like teal as much as the next guy but they are not grouse... sorry.
    Well son, I did say damn near as good, but I really can't argue with you on that one. I admit I spend a lot more time hunting grouse, as my backyard is considered the Grouse Capital of the World. (Google it, it's a thing).

The Teal just happen to be in my front yard, so I can do both on the same day.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope

Pretty much.

Well that changes what I was led to believe, that gravity will pull bullets to the earth at the same speed, so velocity is dependant and how far a bullet will travel before it hits the earth. There are so many other factors to this so anything is possible. I wish the link gave some links that provided more information for me to soak in.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    'll
    Well son, I did say damn near as good, but I really can't argue with you on that one. I admit I spend a lot more time hunting grouse, as my backyard is considered the Grouse Capital of the World. (Google it, it's a thing).

The Teal just happen to be in my front yard, so I can do both on the same day.
    In my younger days, I always wanted to go over to your area. I took my Brittanies and hunted up in Michigan for grouse and woodcock. But now, the dogs are long dead, the wife isn't well and I take care of her. Oh well, life often doesn't work out how we expect.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well that changes what I was led to believe, that gravity will pull bullets to the earth at the same speed, so velocity is dependant and how far a bullet will travel before it hits the earth. There are so many other factors to this so anything is possible. I wish the link gave some links that provided more information for me to soak in.
    Gravity will pull the bullet to the earth in the same amount of time. The difference is that a shotgun slug travelling at 1,000 fps will cover 1/3 the distance of a .223 bullet travelling at 3,000 fps.

Other notable differences (as outlined in the above study) is a shotgun slug has an uncanny ability to tumble or roll and "rise" up out of the dirt after impact, whereas a faster-moving, long, slender HPR bullet will more likely disintegrate upon impact with the dirt due to velocity and bullet geometry.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My thoughts exactly. There's a HUGE Johnson safe for sale if you're measuring Johnsons this morning.
    And I ain't a tellin' How many or how 'til the statute of limitations runs out in my back yard.

It's not a d*ck measuring contest to shoot running deer.
    Maybe some folks have lesser abilities ...........maybe they just are p*ssies.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As long as the deer dies quickly and rides home in your truck, who gives a flying flip?

Those that flub it this yr with the new HP rifles (still or moving critter)...............you're gonna get crucified.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    It aint sporting if you shoot at deer that are standing still. Geez, do yall wait until ducks land before you shoot them too?

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    You are correct, I thought the study used a foster style slug. But then again how many people in IN use sabots? Here is a link to the results of the study itself.
    http://www.ihea.com/_assets/documents/AFWA_Presentation_9-18-07.pdf

Does this mean that the distance travelled by the slug requires a ricochet (or skip)?

When shots are fired holding the guns level 3 feet off the ground, the shotgun slug will travel 0.99 of a mile, 16 percent farther than the rifle bullet will travel under the same circumstances.
    The reason, Bacastow said, is that slugs tend to hold together better and lose less energy during ricochets than rifle bullets. Therefore, slugs often can travel farther than rifle bullets in common hunting scenarios.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I see stupid threads like this and can't help but think there are too many people in Indiana hunting with firearms that probably have no experience, knowledge, or sense of responsibility to even handle one.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    If you are firing numerous rounds at a deer, you need help. Either learn to shoot, learn to set up a gun that is accurate or have someone do it for you, or learn to hunt. Hunting is getting yourself into a position to take a shot, not several shots. I can put 3 rounds in a single hole at a hundred yards with my 308 Armalite. It holds 20 or 30, I am allowed 10 in the field, and if I don't bring back 9 rounds I did something wrong. All that said, I don't hunt, but my entire family does. If I ever decided I was hungry enough, I would not waste ammo. I appreciate those who do hunt, it is a very rewarding experience for those in my family that do hunt. Even my sister gets deer, with a compound bow.

http://www.icandycombat.com/media/c...f78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/r/gr24_2.jpg

Top Bottom