• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Have been thinking about getting a GE electric hybrid water heater, 60% more effecient than conventional heater, anyone have any experience with these.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I don't think it is worth the price tag.
    Do you have an electric W/H right now?

The energy efficient water heaters that I have had good luck with is a Navien.
    It is a tankless W/H that works very well. It is the only one that I would consider installing in my own home. This coming from a journeyman plumber.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I don't think it is worth the price tag.
    Do you have an electric W/H right now?

The energy efficient water heaters that I have had good luck with is a Navien.
    It is a tankless W/H that works very well. It is the only one that I would consider installing in my own home. This coming from a journeyman plumber.

Im on all electric no natural gas lines where i live.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Electric water heaters are almost 100% efficient. No heat loss through a flue.
    Check the reviews before you buy. Look at the energy guide stickers for cost to run per year. Figure a tank will last an average 6 to 9 years. You could buy two regular heaters for the price of that GE heater.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Check the reviews before you buy. Look at the energy guide stickers for cost to run per year. Figure a tank will last an average 6 to 9 years. You could buy two regular heaters for the price of that GE heater.

Electric water heaters are close to %100 efficient with the heat transfer to water. A hybrid water heater uses a heat pump and electric elements to heat water. Heat pumps are the extremely efficient in heating water because they transfer heat from the air rather than creating heat, like elements do. The most efficient use for a hybrid water hear is in a controlled enviroment like inside the house or basement. Basement is the best installation because it also dehumidifies the air. As far as warranty, Richmond which is made by Rheem has a 12 year warranty. On most hybrid water heaters you can select if you want to use the heat pump, electric elements or both depending on your usage. I have a strictly heat pump water heater and it gives me enough hot water and when I hooked up a kW meter to it, I calculated it costs me $6 a month to heat my water. For the cost of a heat pump/hybrid water heater it is the most efficient and cheapest way to heat your water. If you look at Rheem, GE, Richmond, A.O. Smiths or websites of other hybrid water heater manufacturers you will find energy statistics. You can also go to Menards or Home Depot and pick up a very informative brochure. If you have electric now the hybrid as a great replacement choice since it is a direct replacement. They both run on 230V/30A. The only other thing you would need is a drain for your condensate. The water heating is the 2nd biggest energy consumption in your home.

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

Trust this man. ^^^

He knows his stuff and he's been proven right way too many times when it comes to all things plumbing. :twocents:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Trust this man. ^^^

He knows his stuff and he's been proven right way too many times when it comes to all things plumbing. :twocents:

Electric is actually the least cost effective. Compare yearly costs to run. I am an electrical contractor and a good friend of mine owns a plumbing company. We have installed many of both electric and hybrid. 2 years ago we compared costs to run and initial purchase/installation costs among different water heaters and the hybrid was the clear winner. The added benefit of installing in a basement and it being an efficient dehumidifier is a big bonus if you have a basement.
    Check out this page and you'll see how efficient hybrid water heaters are:

http://www.aceee.org/consumer/water-heating

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Electric is actually the least efficient. Compare yearly costs to run. I am an electrical contractor and a good friend of mine owns a plumbing company. We have installed many of both electric and hybrid. 2 years ago we compared costs to run and initial purchase/installation costs among different water heaters and the hybrid was the clear winner. The added benefit of installing in a basement and it being an efficient dehumidifier is a big bonus if you have a basement.
    Check out this page and you'll see how efficient hybrid water heaters are:

ACEEE | Water Heating

My post was in no way meant as an insult or a flame against you. I'm not the expert by any stretch of the imagination. All I know is Jclark has helped a lot of people. That being said, no one is infallible. :yesway:

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    My post was in no way meant as an insult or a flame against you. I'm not the expert by any stretch of the imagination. All I know is Jclark has helped a lot of people. That being said, no one is infallible. :yesway:

Oh don't worry about it! I wasn't insulted at ALL:): I wasn't trying to insult Jclark either. I was just trying to emphasize how efficient hybrids really are from personal experiance. Not enough people know about them or the technology or how great they really are.:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a 66 gallon electric pre heated by my geo. According to energy star, it costs 1.5 times as much to heat my water as it does my house.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I went to a tankless water heater and my gas bill dropped over $100 just from that switch. High cost at first but the savings are worth it and it will have paid for itself within the year.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Electric resistance heat is pretty much 100% effecient. That being said it doesn't mean it's cheap. A heat pump is much more effecient as you get 3 times the amount of heat you pay for. The 1/3 of heat you pay for is the energy to run the compressor and is returned to you in the form of the heat of compression.
    I am not slamming you Mr. Draco but there is a difference between cheap and effecient. I wonder what the life expectancy of a heat pump that heats your domestic hot water is? The cost of repairs? I bet if you installed this unit in Huntington the unit would either need acid washed each year or it would be soon plugged up with lime.
    Good luck with your decision op.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Electric resistance heat is pretty much 100% effecient. That being said it doesn't mean it's cheap. A heat pump is much more effecient as you get 3 times the amount of heat you pay for. The 1/3 of heat you pay for is the energy to run the compressor and is returned to you in the form of the heat of compression.
    I am not slamming you Mr. Draco but there is a difference between cheap and effecient. I wonder what the life expectancy of a heat pump that heats your domestic hot water is? The cost of repairs? I bet if you installed this unit in Huntington the unit would either need acid washed each year or it would be soon plugged up with lime.
    Good luck with your decision op.

You are correct sir! I should've clarified cost effectiveness and efficiency. Energy transfer from heat element to water is about 95% as opposed to about 80% for gas. I installed mine about 6 years ago and haven't had to do anything to it. I am on a well and my water is pretty nasty to the point my shower heads and faucets are clogged with calcium and minerals. I drain my water heater about once a year in an effort to do preventive maintenance.
    Electric water heaters require more maintenance due to calcium and lime building up on element. Other than element everything else seems last a long time on electric water heaters. Over the life of a water heater the hybrids cost much less.

Last edited:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I'm still sticking with this. I've installed too many fancy gimmick water heaters only to see them prematurely fail, or see parts become unavailable.

Top Bottom