• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Revised: SBS technicalities

Considering one of these for my first NFA. I know they're really just a novelty, but they seem like good fun. Anyone here have one? I see a lot of $100 side by sides, but they all have a fair bit of age to them. Will this make much of a difference? Would hate to spend the money on a nice double barrel just to chop it. Didn't know they were illegal. Question answered I suppose.

Other questions still stand. Guess I'll see about a shorter, but not SBS, shotgun for my weekend fun. Guess this saves me the $200 tax stamp.

How does the shorter barrel effect pressures? Think of one of those older guns. Using modern ammo is likely to burst a barrel (or so the tale goes). Would the shorter barrel reduce pressure and get rid of the chance of a burst? All the pictures I see of split and burst barrels occurs a good ways down. I have yet to see a burst just a few inches past the chamber due to overpressure.

I imagine I should be shopping for a 20 gauge, correct? A 12 gauge sounds like it's asking for a sore (broken?) wrist. Is that a correct assumption? If a 12 is more manageable than I suspect I'd prefer that route, but I imagine recoil would be unruly.

Anything to look for when shopping for side by sides in general? Not really sure what a tight lock up means. Well, I know what lock up means, but I have no idea what a loose lock up feels like or does. Will there just be a lot of play in the action when the firearm is closed? Is it a safety concern like a loose revolver cylinder is?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a newb to the NFA circles.

Last edited:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    As far as I know short barrel shotguns are illegal in Indiana even with a NFA stamp.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I didn't know Indiana had a law against it in the first place. I always thought we were considered one of the really pro-2A states. Guess I've got a different line of questions still though.

If barrel is over 18, and OAL is over 26, can I saw it to a pistol grip? And I suppose the question on how barrel length relates to pressure still stands.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    You can get basically the same thing as an AOW. It must start life without having a long barrel attached.

I have a Norrell AOW 20 ga. Cool little thing, but bites a bit.

Chuck

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You can get basically the same thing as an AOW. It must start life without having a long barrel attached.

I have a Norrell AOW 20 ga. Cool little thing, but bites a bit.

Chuck
    Do what now? :dunno:

It must have NEVER had a stock attached. Original barrel length is irrelevant. It would be $200 on a form 1 "manufacturing an AOW".

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    As mention earlier AOW. The Serbu looks cool. I have been thinking about getting one. I don't think you can just build one from a stock gun.

I bought a Mossberg JIC to tinker with. It is a lot shorter then a normal shotgun and legal and fun to play with. Change the stock grip to a Pachmyer. The hard plastic one kills your hand! I put a front grip on it. Then I had to have a flash light and a custom made breacher barrel. It is a tactical wanna be lol. It is my night stand gun. You might tinker with one. I'll let you shoot it!

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As mention earlier AOW. The Serbu looks cool. I have been thinking about getting one. I don't think you can just build one from a stock gun.

You CAN - if the circumstances are correct.

If your donor gun hasn't ever had a shoulder stock on it - you can build your own, provided you jump through the NFA $200 tax stamp and have the machining skill to handle it.

-J-

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've looked into the Serbu, but it's just way too much money. Same with that Howdah which is also pretty darn cool.

I did some measuring on a double barrel in my collection. Not going to cut it up for collector's reasons, but a 26 inch with pistol grip would probably be a bit unwieldy.

Do I have the law right? If barrel is over 18 inches, and the OAL is over 26 inches, can I legally cut the stock to a pistol grip? Still would be neat looking firearm if a bit heavy. This is all for the novelty of it really so it isn't a big deal. I suppose this saves me the tax.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If you want a novelty, why not deactivate the gun to BATFE specs and then cut it up? If the gun was cheap enough and you just wanted something that looked cool that would be a good option.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Not mine and I'm sure it would be horrible to shoot but still... :)

DSC00014_zps2ecd4918.jpg

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If you want a novelty, why not deactivate the gun to BATFE specs and then cut it up? If the gun was cheap enough and you just wanted something that looked cool that would be a good option.
    That's actually a pretty good idea. Would allow me to use a real cheap trashed up gun. I'll have to read up on deactivation. Being able to shoot it would be nice, but hey there's lots of guns out there I can shoot.

Top Bottom