• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone have a whirlpool bathtub in their bathroom? Did you put it in yourself?

I'm going to be remodeling my bathroom soon. And my wife has always wanted one of these. And I was curious on how difficult the install is. And what is a good brand.

I've seen them run from $400 to over $3000. Obviously I like the $400-600 range. But I don't know if they are crap or not.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We have a whirlpool bathtub. It has 2 jets: 1 in front and 1 in back. If I were to get another one, I would make sure there were also jets on the sides. We bought it when we built the house, so the builders put it in. So I can't comment on how difficult that part is.

I'm not sure if you can have too many jets, but I can definitely tell you that you can have too few!

Last edited:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have a Jacuzzi Garden tub, I put it in my self! hooks up the same as a regular tub drain and water supply, the pluming for the jets and motor are already hooked up on the tub as a unit! Mine has the air switch to turn it on and off so only had to supply power to the motor, no switch outside the tub.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I installed a 36" wide one in my old house. Never again. Wife rarely used it and it would suck out all the hot water on a 50 gallon water heater. My new house design called for a corner garden tub and a 5' shower. I nixed the tub and had a 5'x6' shower with a bench and 2 heads put in.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I installed a 36" wide one in my old house. Never again. Wife rarely used it and it would suck out all the hot water on a 50 gallon water heater. My new house design called for a corner garden tub and a 5' shower. I nixed the tub and had a 5'x6' shower with a bench and 2 heads put in.
    You didn't buy the optional heater pump;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I never thought of it using all the hot water like that.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We have a whirlpool bathtub. It has 4 jets: 2 in front and 2 in back. If I were to get another one, I would make sure there were also jets on the sides. We bought it when we built the house, so the builders put it in. So I can't comment on how difficult that part is.

I'm not sure if you can have too many jets, but I can definitely tell you that you can have too few!

Actually, it's only got two jets. One on the right rear and one on the front left. It causes a whirlpool effect when they're working, but the downside is that you have a jet on your right kidney and left foot. It's...off-balance? I don't know how to explain it better. It would be better to have jets on both sides, IMHO. Also, it's LOUD. You should see if they have any "whisper" models. I'd like to replace the pump in ours with a quiet one.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Actually, it's only got two jets. One on the right rear and one on the front left. It causes a whirlpool effect when they're working, but the downside is that you have a jet on your right kidney and left foot. It's...off-balance? I don't know how to explain it better. It would be better to have jets on both sides, IMHO. Also, it's LOUD. You should see if they have any "whisper" models. I'd like to replace the pump in ours with a quiet one.

What's a good brand? And how often does yours get used?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What's a good brand? And how often does yours get used?

I don't know the brand. It was installed with the house, so I'm sure it's the cheapest one the builder could find and mark up 400%. We don't use it often, but when we need it it's very nice to have. I'm glad we had it put in, but I wish I would have been in a position to shop a little for the right one. Also, this is technically a "garden tub", not a whirlpool hot tub. It's a little bigger than a standard bathtub but it has jets. Two people could fit, but only if they were both midgets.

Ours sucks all the water out of our 50-gal tank as well, so you have to fill it carefully (balancing hot and cold) or the water ends up tepid. On a related note, 50-gal tanks FTW. WAY better than a 40. You wouldn't think 10 gallons would make that much difference.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We have this one, after much research and comparing: Jacuzzi, Whirlpool, Hot Tub & Spas by Watertech Whirlpool Bath - Factory Direct Quality Jacuzzi-style Baths and Spas We put it in last year. Completely gutted our 5x8 bathroom, tiled the wall, tub surround and floor. We put it off for many years, because it's our only full bathroom. We got the heat pump too, glad we did, even though some people tried to say they never used it. We don't use it all that often, maybe once a month- always use the shower on workday mornings! But it is nice to have after a rough day, sore muscles, or just to relax. It was a huge project, but we did save a lot of $.

Top Bottom