• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You need to be honest with yourselves on how much you'll use the thing before you put a ton of money into that remodel.

Is using it 1 time a month "worth it"? How about 1x ever 6 weeks? Or less than that?

Tubs hold a lot of water. Using it often can double your water bill. Yours might be cheap there in Jamestown, but I know that our bill here in Greenwood isn't inexpensive on a "light" month. Plus there's the energy cost of heating that water...

If you DO think it's worth it, then you might also want to think about one of those instant-on tankless water heaters for that bathroom. You can get those in the $500-1000 price range, too. That'd sure make a difference on water heating energy costs...eventually.

I know that for most people that I know who have garden tubs / jacuzzi tubs...they're very very rarely used.

-J-

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Had my brother install a Jacuzzi brand 4'x6' that is 24 in. deep when our house was being built 15 yrs. ago. Used the tube a lot for a year or two but the water heater (25 gal.) would only fill it about half way so we changed that one out for a 75 gal. model that does the job. We use it maybe 6 times a year now. Looks pretty cool but it wasn't really a great investment. I would go for a multi-head shower if I had it to do over.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I installed a 36" wide one in my old house. Never again. Wife rarely used it and it would suck out all the hot water on a 50 gallon water heater. My new house design called for a corner garden tub and a 5' shower. I nixed the tub and had a 5'x6' shower with a bench and 2 heads put in.

Same here. Using it once a month couldn't justify the cost. I did the same except I have two benches.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That's another thing I wanted to look into. The tub is in bad shape, and does need replaced. I'll probably just get a normal tub anyway.

You need to be honest with yourselves on how much you'll use the thing before you put a ton of money into that remodel.

Is using it 1 time a month "worth it"? How about 1x ever 6 weeks? Or less than that?

Tubs hold a lot of water. Using it often can double your water bill. Yours might be cheap there in Jamestown, but I know that our bill here in Greenwood isn't inexpensive on a "light" month. Plus there's the energy cost of heating that water...

If you DO think it's worth it, then you might also want to think about one of those instant-on tankless water heaters for that bathroom. You can get those in the $500-1000 price range, too. That'd sure make a difference on water heating energy costs...eventually.

I know that for most people that I know who have garden tubs / jacuzzi tubs...they're very very rarely used.

-J-

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My wife wouldn't sit in the tub that was in the house when we bought it because it was "gross". She then quit using the whirlpool tub because they jet lines got build up in them and got "gross". I'm sure there is a proper cleaner to circulate through the jet lines to prevent them from getting nasty but I don't know what. Something else to think about.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm actually starting to like the idea of a shower instead of a tub.

Now I just need to figure out the pros and cons of a shower vs tub.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm actually starting to like the idea of a shower instead of a tub.

Now I just need to figure out the pros and cons of a shower vs tub.

How many bathrooms does your house have?

If this is the only bathroom, you'll definitely want a tub.

If this is just a master bath...then it really doesn't matter.

And if you're doing a total make-over of the bathroom, think about putting both in if there's enough space.

-J-

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How many bathrooms does your house have?

If this is the only bathroom, you'll definitely want a tub.

If this is just a master bath...then it really doesn't matter.

And if you're doing a total make-over of the bathroom, think about putting both in if there's enough space.

-J-

It's pretty much the only bathroom. I have a half bath in the garage. And there's only room for a tub or a shower, not both.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You are the only person who can decide if you're capable of installing the tub/whirlpool. Do your homework.

If you decide to have it installed, do three times your homework on selecting a contractor. We thought we researched our contractor well enough, but one year, and a $3000.00 judgement (that we won) later, we obviously didn't.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's pretty much the only bathroom. I have a half bath in the garage. And there's only room for a tub or a shower, not both.

If you don't have a tub, it'll be very very difficult to sell that house in the future.

Plus, if you want children in the future, you'll need a tub.

-J-

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you don't have a tub, it'll be very very difficult to sell that house in the future.

-J-

Not necessarily true. A lot of newer homes are being built without tubs.

Kids? Use a shower wand.

My house has two and a half baths, no tub, no one misses it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How about tile wall or a tub surround?

That's another thing I'm looking into.

Another thing. Can you redo tubs? Mine has some bad places. So I thought if I could fix it, I'll just keep the tub I have now.
    No idea what kind of tub it is either.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Bath fitters can redo your tub. Not sure how cost effective it is. What about a tile wall or surround?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

-J-

We installed a shower for our whirlpool tub. this isn't a real great pic, but you get the idea. The only drawback to ours is that it is a pretty big step getting in and out of the tub. We installed a grab bar.
    picture.php

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's my shower before the door got put up. There is a rain style head on the wall opposite of the hose head.

7865d730.jpg

Top Bottom