• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grademan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Greencastle
    Just out of curiosity, how much is the friends and family discount? Back in ‘03 I bought a new car and ended up putting my dads supplier discount on it, but it was only $100 or something like that, not enough to make it worth it.
    Truck was $56235 without the discount and $52961 with the discount.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just out of curiosity, how much is the friends and family discount? Back in ‘03 I bought a new car and ended up putting my dads supplier discount on it, but it was only $100 or something like that, not enough to make it worth it.
    I’m not sure exactly now but I’m thinking the GM discount for suppliers is like 5-7%. Plus, you keep any incentives that are going on at the time. The employee discount is 9-10%. (It used to be much better, before they improved it a few years ago).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There can be repercussions for those eligible for the plan.
    https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/about-the-discount/
    It is surprising that folks are willing to do this for someone not eligible. Those I have known that were able to offer this to family were very cautious not to do anything to get in trouble.

“Violations of these Rules and Guidelines, including, but not limited to, violations of eligibility rules, retention periods, titling restrictions, whether by the Participant or his or her Sponsored Purchaser(s), if any, will result in sanctions against the Participant. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, the loss of privileges (two (2) years per violation), repayment of monies, and/or employment action up to and including termination.”

“The sale of any Authorization Numbers, or any unauthorized use of an Authorization Number, is prohibited. A Participant who violates this provision, or who sponsors a Sponsored Purchaser who violates this provision, will be suspended from the Program for five (5) years per violation, will be required to repay the incentive monies, and may be subjected to employment action, up to and including termination. Subsequent violations of this rule may result in permanent suspension from the Program.”

“In addition, GM may pursue legal action against any individual or entity for violating these Rules and Guidelines.”

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Generally less than you can negotiate off yourself in "the normal times" but it's an easy button.

I have an affiliate "friends and family" code with Chrysler (now Stellantis). It would have netted me $500 more off the PW I was trying to buy, but ordering a new one it won't do jack for me as I'm already under affiliate pricing.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    It is surprising that folks are willing to do this for someone not eligible. Those I have known that were able to offer this to family were very cautious not to do anything to get in trouble.

“Violations of these Rules and Guidelines, including, but not limited to, violations of eligibility rules, retention periods, titling restrictions, whether by the Participant or his or her Sponsored Purchaser(s), if any, will result in sanctions against the Participant. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, the loss of privileges (two (2) years per violation), repayment of monies, and/or employment action up to and including termination.”

“The sale of any Authorization Numbers, or any unauthorized use of an Authorization Number, is prohibited. A Participant who violates this provision, or who sponsors a Sponsored Purchaser who violates this provision, will be suspended from the Program for five (5) years per violation, will be required to repay the incentive monies, and may be subjected to employment action, up to and including termination. Subsequent violations of this rule may result in permanent suspension from the Program.”

“In addition, GM may pursue legal action against any individual or entity for violating these Rules and Guidelines.”
    Gm has 2 plans. 1 is employee pricing that available to employees and retirees and most close family members.
    Plan 2 is Friends which is supplier pricing.
    A employee/retiree can give the friend pricing to anyone they want but currently it is 1 discount per month per employee.
    It used to be 2 per month and I was on another forum and wife and I had 4 per month available and they had a section for members to offer discounts to other members. We gave away 4 a month for over 2 years.
    You can get in trouble for getting employee discount for someone that doesn't qualify for it.
    I can still get 2 a month for anyone that needs one but some dealers are not taking the pricing plans right now.
    The dealership I have been using using for about 30 years when they had inventory used to contact me for a number for a deal they couldn't quite get closed and this made it work for them.

I always say to get a trade value on your trade in if you have one and then mention you have friend pricing as some dealers will devalue your trade to make up for the lower price from the plan.
    The friend and family plan is great for those that hate to negotiate with the dealer. Just go in and get the set price. Only have to agree on trade in value if you have a trade in.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My niece got a great deal on an upgraded Chevy Equinox using my discount. I had to prove relationship because of different last names. The hassle was worth it and she got the vehicle she needed . My employer sold one that would have been to a foreign manufacturer as she was looking at Honda (Blech! Interior sucked!!).

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I've used the GM supplier pricing (as I work for a company which qualifies for it) several times over the years. Bought 2 new Corvettes & a new GTO with it for prices far better than were available otherwise (even after heavy negotiating / shopping around nationwide). Maybe you can beat "supplier" pricing by negotiating on a boring car in normal times, but not on a car that is in demand.

Top Bottom