Anyone have advice on buying a water softener?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I'm not really sure what I should get. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'll just buy the one available at Costco lol. Thanks!

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    LOL .. Id never heave searched for this either .. Who'd have known that so many people would be asking about water softeners on INGO!? :P

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Softners arent always a one size fits all proposition. It really does make a differnce depending on your water quality, usage, size of family, etc.
    If you are on city water, call your water company and ask for the Hardness (will be in grains per gallon (GPG)) and iron content (will be in Parts per Million (PPM) If on a well, I would have someone from one of the major water treatment companies come out and test your water.

These numbers, along with the number of people using the water will determine both the type of salt used (solar crystals vs Ironout) and the dosage in addition to the regeneration frequency.

The metered units are best. They will save you salt and water.

( I used to be the Svc Mgr for Culligan in Renesselaer. PM me if you have questions, ill help if I can.)

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Wow, thanks for the info guys! I think the water is 8 grains hardness when water use is low, so possibly during peak usage significantly higher. There are three of us in the house right now. I'm pretty much the only one that uses a lot of water. :P REALLY hoping I can get away with getting a cheap one.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I really like our Kinetico system. It was pretty expensive up front, but it's the only one we'll ever have to buy.

And yes, you do need to match the water conditioner to the water. I don't know where you are located, but there is a Kinetico store in Avon, that we use.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    8 GPG is easy to deal with. If no iron exists, you can get by with a small system. 3/4 cubic foot or 1 cube mineral tank using solar salt.

I advise against the "all in one" units that combine that salt tank and mineral tank, They can be problematic as far as salt bridging, and cleaning.

Spend a little extra and get one that measures your water usage. Most are electronic now making them easy to set. Plug in the hardness, set the salt dosage, and the regeneration time (go for late night when no water is being used)

Also, be prepared to cut back on the amount of soap, laundry detergent, shampoo quite a bit. You will not need nearly as much. And don't mistake that slick feeling you get for not being clean, it's actually the opposite. It's your bodies natural oils that have been previously covered by the Calcium in the hard water.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    +1 for Kinetico. I don't have one, my parents do. Wish I would have when I replaced mine.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    Funny this came up... I'm having a Kinetico installed this afternoon!

I'm on Huntertown water that has tested at 30+ Grains??? (three independent tests) I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a Kinetico. How can the water be that hard??? Within one week of being in our brand new home the show heads were darn near plugged.

Six people, heavy water and a tankless water heater = I'm not going to risk it with a budget system.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm not sure exactly what brand we had installed....

But I like it. It's the two-tank system (one just for salt, the other for the media). The media tank is around 4' tall. The salt tank is probably 3.5' tall and 20" diameter. Since installation 3.5 years ago, I've filled it 3 times. And our city water in Greenwood is HARD. Talking 21-22 GPG.

Original harness setting on the head unit was too low - but easy to increase. I bumped it up 3-4 gpg. I've since backed it down by 2. I think I've found the sweet spot.

No more build-up on the shower heads / faucets, but the humidifier wicks sure get all kinds of mineral deposits on them.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Are they trickle down systems? If so, they draw so very little water, it causes a channelling effect in the softners. If you reduce the salt dosage and increase the regen frequency, you can solve most of that.

We have two of these: Holmes® Humidifier Filters

Wick filter sits in the water - fan pulls / pushes air from under the unit, through the interior of the "barrel" filter - then out the top. The top edges of the filters get dry and crusty rather quickly, but the main zone of mineral deposit it in the center - horizontally around the exterior of the filter. I should just taste the deposits. If salty - I'll back down the softener a bit.

Top Bottom